Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: So Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:46 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Looks like I better start studying up on my old NASA lifting body aircraft! Just learned today that the museum I work at is getting the X-38 lifting body crew vehicle from Johnson Space Center! I'm totally stoked :D

here's the press release

NASA TO NEBRASKA
NASA "X-38 Crew Return Vehicle" Headed to Nebraska

-In a joint effort between Strategic Air & Space Museum,
Werner Global Logistics and
NASA Johnson Space Center,
X-38 CRV is heading to its new home in Ashland, Neb.

Unveiling and Welcome by Lt. Governor Rick Sheehy
to be held in Nebraska City

If you are traveling the interstate and highways between Houston, Texas, and Ashland, Neb., next week, you may get a glimpse of a "space vehicle" aboard a truck being coordinated by Werner Global Logistics. NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) has chosen the Strategic Air & Space Museum (SASM) to be the recipient of an X-38 Crew Return Vehicle. SASM was chosen to house this amazing artifact based on their long-standing relationship with Johnson Space Center Houston.

The NASA X-38 is a lifting body reentry vehicle designed as emergency return spacecraft for the International Space Station crew. The X-38 was designed for indefinite in-orbit storage. It reached the stage of paraglider drop tests before NASA cancelled the program due to a lack of funding.

Nebraska's astronaut, Clayton Anderson, will be at JSC for the send-off back to his home state. Anderson is scheduled to for his second space flight in March of 2010.

The X-38 is making its way to its new home thanks to the generosity of Werner Global Logistics. "Werner Global Logistics is proud to be a part of this historical event," Derek Leathers, chief operating officer of Werner Enterprises and president of Werner Global Logistics said. "Being chosen by NASA to move the X-38 further exemplifies Werner Global Logistics' ability to provide best-in-class service for even the most challenging of domestic and international shipping needs."

Lt. Governor Rick Sheehy kicks off celebration in Nebraska City
The X-38 will be welcomed to the state of Nebraska in Nebraska City at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday October 31, with a welcome by Lt. Governor Rick Sheehy.