Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I need to create some promo material for my Paper Models International website, and any additional ideas beyond what I've listed that you paper maestros can supply along these lines would be welcome.

1. No painting, putty filling, decaling. Once a paper model is put together, it's finished. Complete. Ready to display.

2. If printed on home printers, mistakes are easily remedied by printing replacement parts. Fillers can also be cut from extra prints of parts pages that will match colors perfectly.

3. The glue is cheap and doesn't kill brain cells. It also dries faster.

4. Even an introductory level model can look as good as a more advanced model, whereas in plastic the introductory level models tend to look like it.

5. Drop a plastic model and you're looking at major repair, due to the weight of the model. Drop a paper model and there may not be any repair necessary, or just unbending a corner.

6. You can burn your mistakes and it smells like a campfire. Burn your mistakes in plastic and it smells like a New Jersey industrial complex in 1960.

7. It doesn't take much to turn a paper model airplane into a flying model. Trying to fly a plastic model isn't much different from throwing a rock.

8. Paper is a closer match to what the real things are made out of: thin sheets of metal or fabric or wood planks. The subtle waviness of that material that reveals its thinness shows up in the paper automatically; plastic models have flawless smooth surfaces that look like they were sculpted from solid stone.

9. Paper is cheaper than plastic, especially at comparable skill levels of the models.

10. The cost of modifying paper is a fraction of the cost of modifying plastic. Software like Photoshop and cheap printing puts modification into the reach of anybody with the time to try it. Modifying plastic requires buying extra models to scavenge parts from, or doing your own injection molding.

11. Cats and two years olds can make any paper model work as a transformer model, if you're not too fussy about what it transforms into, without causing life altering anguish for the modeler.

Any others?

Thanks very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:19 pm 
Botbuster Master

cool!!!!!!!!!nice description...... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:40 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I like it. Something you might want to add that goes along the lines of mistakes:

If you mess up a paper model, print a new page and start over. However, if you mess up a plastic model, you have to go to the bank and get a loan and buy a whole new model kit.

Something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm 
FG Folder

I have found that in paper, I can find models that aren't even available in plastic. For the cost of one plastic kit, you could buy several paper kits that will most often rival the plastic kit in detail and design.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:26 pm 
FG Origami Master

All great points,

I also tell folks that once you purchase a paper model,,,
You can keep the one you bought, and print as many as you
care to from it to build yourself, or share with your modeling friends.
Also, you can print it in different sizes to build as well.
TRY THAT WITH A PLASTIC MODEL.

Paper models that you pre print in quanities can store by the hundreds in a single drawer.
The same amount of plastic models will take up that spare room you wanted to turn into a den, or entertainment room for your entire family to enjoy.

For the environment,,, paper models are recyclable.
If a CAT, or CHILD, does have too much fun with one,,, you can toss it out in the yard and it will deteriorate in a few weeks. Or, wind up as part of a birds nest.
Do that with a broken plastic model,,, and your children and grandchildren will be cutting their feet on the shards for generations to come.