Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Rocket power
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:16 am 
Paper Model CINC

I just was given a whole mess (around 100--most of a case)of miniature rocket motors, from a defunct hobby shop. I haven't done much more than to test fire a couple. The motors are about 1/4 inch diameter and about an inch and a half long. I tried to mount one in a jet model. It had to go in the aft section, as the ignitor unit is bulky by comparison (about 3/4 inch square). I tried one in the F84F and, although it glided well with the motor, under power it failed miserably. Total out of control corkscrewing and looping. I figure my thrust was assymetric. Also not sure the F84 was the best choice. I need ideas for a decent (lightweight) engine mount and any planes that you might think would be good candidates for rocket power.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject: Rocket power
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Chip and Nick fly the FG Skyray with a rubberband and paper clip, and it flies beautifully. I bet it would do even better with a rocket motor. BTW, I hope those motors aren't the type for model rocketry. I tried to launch the F-16 using one, and it flew great until the charge to eject the parachute went off, then it blew up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:42 am 
Paper Model CINC

These are for model rocketry--and they do have an explosive charge, but due to tyhe small size the charge didn't do any more than make a small noise--no damage to the plane ( I left the front of the mount open for that reason. The motors are called Micro Maxx BTW. I looked around on the net for them and it appears that their rockets might be paper or cardstock, as well. I'm not really into flying these things as paper modeling is only a rainy day distraction for me. Even so, I've built nearly 150 models in the past years, since discovering the hobby. Rains a lot in NW FL.

Post subject: rockets
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:42 am 
Paper Model CINC

These are for model rocketry--and they do have an explosive charge, but due to tyhe small size the charge didn't do any more than make a small noise--no damage to the plane ( I left the front of the mount open for that reason. The motors are called Micro Maxx BTW. I looked around on the net for them and it appears that their rockets might be paper or cardstock, as well. I'm not really into flying these things as paper modeling is only a rainy day distraction for me. Even so, I've built nearly 150 models in the past years, since discovering the hobby. Rains a lot in NW FL.

Post subject: Re: rockets
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:25 am 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

Rob wrote:
I'm not really into flying these things as paper modeling is only a rainy day distraction for me. Even so, I've built nearly 150 models in the past years, since discovering the hobby. Rains a lot in NW FL.

145 of which were built just this August and September 2004, right? :)

(sorry, couldn't resist a dark humor joke - I hope that you survived Ivan and friends with little to no damage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:20 am 
Paper Model CINC

Actually--I haven't built anything since Ivan--too busy chainsawing, raking, rebuilding fencing, and trying to get things back to right. By the time I've got some spare time, my hands are usually so stiff and sore that all they're good for is gently cradling a cool brew. Think I'm going to build a modified Cutlass for a rocket attempt soon. Install a single motor mount in place of the dual exhausts and build a launching ramp. I'd start this weekend, but I've got to go down to Orlando and give my brother in law a hand--they got hit with three--We only got Ivan.

Post subject: Any one try Jet-X
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:36 pm 
FG Cutter

Has any one tried a Jet-X motor in one of Chips birds. I had them when I was a kid for planes and cars. Not even sure they make them any more. But I, think, if they do, this might be a way to get in the air. Mr. Bush's F- 102 Delta Dagger would be a good one to try this. :roll:

Remember growing old is sometimes mandatory growing up is optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:47 pm 
FG Cutter

Yes, Jet-x and Rapier motors are still with us.

check out this spectacular site

http://www.thestuarts.freeserve.co.uk/

Mike Stuart has THE most increadible (where's the spell check on this boat :lol: ) site featuring stick and tissue free flight models, including a bevy of jets.

Take care all,

Kenny

Post subject: zoom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:29 am 
FG Cutter

I thank you for the link that is one cool page, and one good link deserves another. Good old Peck Polymers has them but not listed on there page. Just give them a call for price. Man I got a full winter to build can't wait till good weather hits. Then Zooooom :D

http://www.peck-polymers.com/

Remember growing old is sometimes mandatory growing up is optional.

Post subject: Jet-X
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:44 am 
FG Tissue Paper

I have a jetex that i bought a year or two ago, its never produced nearly enough thrust for anything to fly, ive heard that they had to change the composition of the propellent in line with health and safety legislation. Rapier motors sound interesting though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:20 am 
Paper Model CINC

I built the Cutlass and made a paper mount for the rocket motor. Soaked the mount in sodium silicate solution and let it dry to flameproof it before gluing it into the plane. Ramp constructed from Nscale track and a freight car truck gave me about a fifty foot flight. Took a lot of energy to get up and off the track. believe I need some sort of catapult. Flight was not nice and straight...still have some thrust vector issues. When the motor reached the end of it's burn and the parachute deployment charge detonated, it merely blew the spent moter out the tube, which messed up my trim. Motor needs to be on the cg. Might try the F102 next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:12 pm 
FG Origami Master

Does anyone know of anywhere else to buy jet-x motors? I e-mailed Peck-Polymers and the exact quote from the e-mail they sent me back is: "The Jet-X motors are not avaliable at this time in the US."
Thanks.

----------
Painter of Airwolf
Current project: A-7 Corsair II Desert Storm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:00 am 
Paper Model CINC

Check ebay---do a web search for hobby shops in Canada or the UK that might carry them.
They're out there--you just need to do a bit of creative searching.

http://www.ekmpowershop.com/ekmps/shops ... /index.asp[url]

here's an example[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:19 pm 
FG Origami Master

As my english teacher would say, "Duuuuuuuuuh." Thanks for reminding me. I found a few on EBAY. I'm crossing my fingers that I can win them. If I do, I can still cross my fingers, hoping these probablly 20-30 year old explosive devices don't explode in my face.

P.S.-If you are looking for Jet-X motors on the internet, a better keyword than "Jet-X" is "Jetex".

----------
Painter of Airwolf
Current project: A-7 Corsair II Desert Storm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:02 am 
FG Cutter

Here are two UK/ world-wide mail order suppliers for jetex and rapier:

1. Sams - major European stick and tissue distributer/manufacturer

http://samsmodels.demon.co.uk

Sams make the Aerographics stick and tissue range. Also check out the Gasparin CO2 motors - G51 or G28 for FG large size/ Peanut paper planes?

2. Mike Woodhouse's free flight supplies

http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk.

I have bought from both and can recommend both these suppliers.

Also for Jetex, see http://jetex.org

Regards

AJD