Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:15 am 
FG Scorer

Now I'm having mixed feelings about my P-51...

I might have build two, as I really like the landing gear details and the four bladed prop. Its almost too cool to fly into the wall!

Maybe a bigger office......

I'm going to the airshow Saturday for a video shoot. I WILL fly the Me-109 there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:58 am 
FG Scorer

I'd like to know how the Mustang flies. I glued a penny in one of the many test models I built and gave it a toss. It didn't do to well. I'm sure with some work it would fly pretty well.

And on the Bf 109, I agree with Felix, training and experience go a long way. Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring ace ever with 352 kills flew a Bf 109 exclusively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:07 pm 
FG Scorer

I'm about half finished with the p51...

No wingspar, but I did double up on the leading edge for strength. I pre rolled the heck out of the wing and it built up perfectly.

My company that I work at just changed names, and my boss gave me the old stationary for airplanes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:51 pm 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

John Dell wrote:
And on the Bf 109, I agree with Felix, training and experience go a long way. Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring ace ever with 352 kills flew a Bf 109 exclusively.

and he wasn't that "great" a flyer - the vast majority of his kills were close up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:25 pm 
FG Origami Master

So? If a quail don't flush - shoot him on the ground! That's the same premise in that HBO movie "El Diablo."

"You shot him in the back?"

"His back was to me."

Hartmann was lucky to have survived as long as he did in that airplane. It was merely above average, as the FW-190 was a technically better aircraft all around. What the bf-109 had going for it was, uh, gee, I gotta think about that one.

Is this the thread where we all go "Hey John? You still workin' on that Focke Wulf?"

Post subject: ballast.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:02 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

The biggest trick with ballast is making sure your center of gravity is near the leading edge of the wing in a conventional wing plane. This doesn't work on delta wing designs but if you push a pin into the wing tips about where the main spar would be and then place your ballast (I like to use pennies) on the fuselage and move it until the plane levels out. This will tell you where to place it for best neutral flying. A little added deheidral in the wings will make a more stable flying plane. Then it's just getting the control surfaces adjusted and UP UP and Away!!

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:42 am 
FG Scorer

WELCOME to the forum!!

The big advantage to the internet is that by myself I'm an eccentric playing pilot at the office, but because of this forum I'm in a "Group"!

The p-51 is coming along nicely..... Lots of work lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:26 pm 
FG 90# stock

To all the flyers: As an old free flight balsa and tissue modeler who dabbled in flying scale, I remember the big problem with virtually all scale flyers is that the tail feathers are too small to give good stability. The airplanes you're talking about - P-51, Spit, Bf-109, etc, were all high speed airplanes and their tail area - particularly the horizontal stabilizer and elevators - were proportionately smaller. Your models are flying at fractions of the actual airplane's speed - even figuring in scale. This is one of the reasons the FG J-3 glides so well. The J-3 was a 70 mph machine in real life and could fly as slow as about 45 mph.

A trick you might try is to add about 10% to the area of the combined horizontal surfaces (remember - area, not length/width) when you print that page and most people won't notice the surfaces are oversize. But I think you will find it makes the plane fly better. Chip's Douglas Skyray is just wing - like a folded paper airplane, so there's no problem with undersized tailfeathers.

As for balance point - if the tail is enlarged, balance should be about 1/3 back of the leading edge on straight wing planes - swept wings are a little trickier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:30 pm 
FG 90# stock

To all the flyers: As an old free flight balsa and tissue modeler who dabbled in flying scale, I remember the big problem with virtually all scale flyers is that the tail feathers are too small to give good stability. The airplanes you're talking about - P-51, Spit, Bf-109, etc, were all high speed airplanes and their tail area - particularly the horizontal stabilizer and elevators - were proportionately smaller. Your models are flying at fractions of the actual airplane's speed - even figuring in scale. This is one of the reasons the FG J-3 glides so well. The J-3 was a 70 mph machine in real life and could fly as slow as about 45 mph.

A trick you might try is to add about 10% to the area of the combined horizontal surfaces (remember - area, not length/width) when you print that page and most people won't notice the surfaces are oversize. But I think you will find it makes the plane fly better. Chip's Douglas Skyray is just wing - like a folded paper airplane, so there's no problem with undersized tailfeathers.

As for balance point - if the tail is enlarged, balance should be about 1/3 back of the leading edge on straight wing planes - swept wings are a little trickier.

Post subject: What is next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:33 am 
FelixR wrote:
Hmmm - do I detect a wee bit of nationalist prejudice?

You'll decide that your previous conclusions were wrong and change ways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:46 pm 
FG 90# stock

just about anything in the bombers section except the norge will fly from the get-go, seeing as their tail feathers are huge. the hard part with them is getting the wings to hold their shape at all, mine always literally fold up mid-air unless i shrink 'em to about 3-5" wingspan. they're the best aircraft IMO to begin practicing on getting to fly due to this, they're big, slow, heavy monstrosities in real life, and in paper life. tho, the bearcat will fly pretty well when ballasted right. i had a C47 that didnt need any ballast at all to fly 20 feet, but it caught a gust and the right wing took a nasty hit in the ensuing crash. it never flew the same again, altho it was kinda funny to watch, it'd fly on it's side and nosedive after turning right 90 degrees. i gave it away tho, i shoulda kept it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:29 pm 
Paper Model CINC

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that little sailplane model Chip put out years ago. With a bit of nose seight it flies exceptionally well. the high aspect wing makes it almost hang in the air, like the real thing. It's also a good candidate for a custom color job.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:35 pm 
FG Origami Master

Hi Rob,

That sailplane flew rather nicely as I recall from the couple I build for my nephew and a friend of his. I have to say that your F-100 is one of the better flyers that I've built though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:49 pm 
FG 26# stock

for people tryin to make a good flyin model... i just finished work on my Fokker Eindecker which makes an excellent flyer. my Nieuport 17 is almost done as well, just gotta do some more work on the wings. it flies excellently but the wings are just flat right now. histbuff1190@yahoo.com if anyone is interested in either.