Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pardon my Gripe
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:55 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I've been admiring all the stunning craftmanship in the Look What I Built forum - those models are positive jewels!

But I have to vent, guys, those flat wimpy stock propellors are a jarring note, especially when you've taken the time to add extra gear struts and rigging and pitot tubes to add realism.

Fixing those props is easy and doesn't require extra printing or photoshopping (well, extra printing is required for the models where only one prop side has been printed, because you need both sides of the prop).

Simply cut the blades free from the hub, but not where the blade joins the hub, but deeper down, because you need some root shank to glue the finished blades into the spinner (or to wrap the hub of a two-bladed prop around). Curl each blade face longtitudinally, with extreme curl at the root and some curl at the tip. Then glue the two blade halves together, so that the root forms a perfect tube. This is the shape of a real prop: thick and massive at the root, tapering out to a thin airfoil at the tip. (Keep in mind that at high RPM, the tension stress on the blades of a spinning metal prop is roughly equivalent to using the prop to pick up a 50 ton railroad locomotive, so the blades HAVE to be big and beefy at the root).

For props with spinners, punch holes in the spinner and glue the shank ends in, being careful to give the blades a bit of twist for pitch. For two bladed props with tubular hubs, simply wrap a small rectangle around the shank ends to form the tubular hub, and wrap small strips around the hub ends to represent the hub collars. Punch a hole through the center & glue the propshaft in & voila, a perfect propellor.

I think you'll find this touch, for not a lot of extra effort, and no skills beyond those already needed for the rest of the model, will add significant appeal to the finished model.

Of course, the really smart modellers will just slap on a clear acetate disc and be done with it - that looks great too.

OK, done griping - back to admiring those magnificent models!

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:03 am 
Paper Model CINC

I'm sorry, but I think your criticism is a little harsh.

It's not everybody who wants to go the extra mile and produce a realistic looking propeller, besides which it would be fiddly beyond belief on small scale models. I've often heard it said before that when a model is built and detailed to the builder's liking, then that's when it's finished. Besides, that's the whole point of FG models isn't it - that they're supposed to be scale-like representations of the real thing, rather than ultra accurate scale replicas? But why stop there?! Why not deduct points for not adding a transparent canopy, or for no cockpit detail, or for using the stock FG wheels instead of proper rounded ones, or for having a flat tailplane instead of an aerofoil shaped one etc etc etc?!

Last edited by cdwheatley on Fri May 02, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:37 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Props...to round or not to round? that is the question.

For me the answer is to wrap them around a piece of wire or toothpick...but only if the model needs it.

From my experience:

The B-24 looks great with the props flat, as does the Mustang (tho I did "turn" them a bit so they had a bit of a vairable pitch look).

The large version of the Jenny, on the other hand, looked very odd with a flat prop. So that one I built around a toothpick.

As they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...so if you feel it needs it, do it.

Last edited by Tim_in_Winnipeg on Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:02 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Well said Tim. I'm all for adding details if it needed or wanted. Most times I don't have the extra time to do the bonus things. I have done the fancy props before, but only because I wanted to. This applies to rigging on older type planes. Many people probably don't have the proper materials on hand do it. Or like me, after trying it a couple of times, just didn't want to mess with potentially damaging the model further by bending/crushing. It all comes down to what the builder wants. The historical buff in me wants super detailed. The crazy kid chasing dad in me wants something neat, quick, and artistic. Either way, I'm satisfied.

Now, lets stop bickering and start BUILDING!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm 
Botbuster Master

i would be satisfied if i could just get the landing gears done right......and i use the clear prop disk alot....lol :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:44 pm 
Paper Model CINC

willygoat wrote:
Now, lets stop bickering and start BUILDING!!!!!!!

Bickering? What bickering?! :D

Group hug anyone? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:22 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Simple solution: build jets. They're better anyway--at least to this old jet mech.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:26 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Rob- that's always your solution. And I like it :D