Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Guns
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:16 pm 
FG Origami Master

Found a good way to make machine guns for B-17s B-24s and in general any fighter or bomber that needs 'em.

all ya need is a bottle of black ink, and a box of round toothpicks. Just soak the toothpicks in the ink (1-2 seconds is plenty), let 'em dry and presto! there is your guns!

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:29 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Good idea! I usually use the thicker type of paper clip with the "griping ridges"? They're the ones with little marks along the whole wire. Anyway, I usually cover with black marker, cut to length, and glue into place. The "ridges" look similar to the air cooling vents on the .50 calibers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:57 pm 
FG Origami Master

I keep passing this tip along, but here it goes again!

Trot down to your favorite hobby shop (one that stocks plastic models and detail parts or specializes in model trains). Buy a package of assorted plastic rods and tubes (or a bag of each, if they don't have the mixture). [Or mail order them] You'll find diameters from 1mm to around 5mm. You can get rods smaller than 1mm in "train shops".

You'll find all sorts of uses: gun barrels, antenna masts, pitot tubes, landing gear legs, and on and on. I know: they are p*****c, not paper, but I've never seen a paper paper-clip!!!!!!

If you really do some digging, you may find air-foil shaped rods. Talk about neat struts!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:19 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

blueeyedbear wrote:
If you really do some digging, you may find air-foil shaped rods. Talk about neat struts!

I haven't tried this but get a box of coffee stirrer plastic rods - they're like ultra-thin straws. Soften them in the oven (don't know what temperture - it'll take some experimentation), then, while they're still hot, set some heavy books on them to flatten them out. You'd have something pretty close to a streamline strut shape once they'd cooled down.

I Googled several permutaions of streamline plastic rod tubing extrusion strip etc. but it doesn't look like anyone makes true streamline tubing out of plastic - for models, anyway (you can get streamline plastic tubing to fair the struts of your light sport aircraft, but it'd be a wee bit too big for paper models).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:56 pm 
FG Origami Master

huh, I'll have to try those little bitty plastic straws fore my 1:87 B-17, as it needs 1mm guns

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required." - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:42 pm 
WII,
Next time you see one of the phone company's maintenence types crouched beside the road, stop and ask him if he has a small cutoff piece of 100 pair cable. There are 200 approx. 1 mm wires inside the cable. Even a small piece will give you guns for years. Also, Evergreen makes plastic rod in all sizes. I have a couple paks of .75 mm I've been using out of for years. About $2 a pak of 50 over a foot long each.
Lep