Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Cool Display Option
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:47 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Many years ago a WWI aviation theme restaurant in San Francisco (long since gone out of business) had as part of its decor the best display of model airplanes I'd yet seen: WWI aircraft suspended from the ceiling in snapshot sequences of aerobatic maneuvers. For example, a red DR1 triplane (guess whose) was built as 10 identical models, then hung from the ceiling at various stages of performing an Immelman. A Sopwith Camel did a barrel roll as eight replications of a single airplane at various points of the maneuver. And so on. The display must've cost the restaurant thousands of dollars, not just for the models (many dozens of those extremely detailed 1/32 scale Revell WWI plastic models), but for the modelers time to make all of them and paint them and detail each of them. It was a stunning arrangement.

The nice advantage of paper is cheap duplication, at least of the models themselves. There's no escaping the painstaking time of assembly, but with a simple model, and efficient technique, it'd be easy to create a similar ceiling display of a single maneuver without needing a year to do it. The airplane would be depicted in flight so gear would be retracted and propeller spinning, simplifying assembly. And if sub assemblies were built simultaneously (e.g. build all the vertical fins at once, etc.) the assembly time could be kept reasonable.

Just thought I'd mention this as a possibility for the ambitious (and might even have a go at it myself, say, putting sixteen Dell P-51s up in a Cuban Eight display - now that'd be a knockout, dontcha think)?

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
Paper Model CINC

That would certainly make for a spectacular display!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:51 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Mark,
Absolutely great idea! My only problem would be "where to put it?". I'm covered up to the point I'm actually considering (gasp )throwing some of them away!
Lep

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't throw them away lep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:03 pm 
Paper Model CINC

So, what would you suggest? I'm out of kids, the grandkids are too far away or too old, and I don't have any neighbor kids in the right age group....
Lep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 am 
Paper Model Overlord

lepercan wrote:
So, what would you suggest? I'm out of kids, the grandkids are too far away or too old, and I don't have any neighbor kids in the right age group....

How close are you to an airport, Lep? Flight instructors love models they can use to demonstrate maneuvers, and FBOs (flight schools, maintenance shops, etc.) love models to dress up the facilities. Believe me, any models you donate would be VERY welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:13 am 
Paper Model CINC

I'll look into that. I have a small airport and Air Guard base in Ft. Smith, about 30 min. away.
Lep