Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:25 pm 
FG 26# stock

I had my first aircraft, Pawnee and Bowlus, printed at an OfficeMax this last week. Now I thought they printed the files on an Inkjet and I was very impressed with the quality of the the output on 65# card stock. It turns out the files were printed on a Xerox Color Laser. Now, would someone please tell me which is the preferred technology, Inkjet or Color Laser for FG models or is it a toss up?

I'm new to the forum and also new to this discipline and I apologize if this question has been asked a hundred times before. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

That's a complicated subject there.

Lasers do have better print quality, but the color will tend to flake off, especially while building the model.

A lot of people have taken to coating the model sheets with a clear acrylic sealer before starting to cut.

I've fouind that if the laser is set to heavy media, and 65lb cardstock is used, the flaking problem isn't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:23 am 
Paper Model CINC

Murphy's post pretty well sms up the differences. Jim G printed me up a bunch of my models on laser a few years ago--I liked the clean bright look,but once the model was finished (in my own slightly clumsy style), there wasn't much difference in the look of the models. I myself prefer the slightly softer appaearance of the inkjet--in my mind the appearance, from a few fet off, especially, is more authentic.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:52 am 
FG 26# stock

Thanks very much for the replies. Sounds to me like good reasons to give the Inkjet the priority. Also, my guess is that the use of sealing acrylic would block the use of water colors and possibly some of the other color mediums except for touching up the cut edges of the project.

I notice that a Kinko’s shop has moved into the same area as the OfficeMax so I’ll check with them and any other vendors I can find that may have an Inkjet that will handle up to 110# card stock.

I want to make sure that I really have the bug before I pop for a quality Inkjet printer that will accept 65 to 110 pound card stock. I do have a well used HP 1220C Inkjet but it does not enjoy dealing with heavy paper.

(After posting this this morning my wee mind said "have you tried the manual feed slot from the rear of the printer- dah?". That slot makes for a straight through feed.) :oops:

Thanks again for the information. As you can see I have a lot to learn; from the basics on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:23 am 
FG 26# stock

I just finished testing the HP Deskjet 1220C with some 65# and 110# card stock by feeding through the rear slot and using the manual print function. Hot-Dog, success. :D The 65# card stock fed without any help and the 110# fed OK once I used a little pressure to help catch and start the feed. The grapics look good to me and Rob I see what you mean about the colors looking a little softer.

Thanks again for your input which got me to think, danger, and test the printer again. I'm beginning to think I never tested the rear manual feed on the 1220C.

This is great. I think I'm now in business without running down a vender to print my projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

It's great you can print your own models now.

That's one of the major draws of cardmodelling.

If you mess up a piece, just reprint it and try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm 
FG 26# stock

Thanks murphyaa. It will be nice not to have two sheets printed of everything so I won't have to make a trip back to town for one sheet if I get careless, which I know will happen. Like the man said "There are those that have and those that are going to.". It will also make it easier for me to make the decision to print part of the aircraft out of 65# stock and another out of 110# if I so desire. Grand.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

To break off into another tangent completely, my personal policy is to print bombers and boxy planes on 110 lb paper, and curvy planes like jets on 65lb paper. Others tend to mix it up, printing fuselages on 65lb, and wings on 110lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:28 pm 
FG 26# stock

Interesting that you mentioned paper weights and what you would select them for. My wife just brought me some of her private card stock to try. The specs read "80lb. high-quality card stock dyed with pure color all the way through". It's called ultra smooth and the colors she gave to try are white and vanilla. She said if I like it and just can't wait she'll sell me a couple of extra packs that she has. :) I'm thinking I should try the vanilla with the wing sections of the Bowlus Baby Albatross with that long span. That brown and linen color on the wing may look extra good printed on a vanilla base. I don't know how well the Bowlus fuslage sections would work with 80# but it will be easy enough to try. Fun!

Post subject: Printer for 110# stock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

I use an Epson R200 inkjet. Epson uses a "L" drive channel whereas HP uses a "U" channel. [The Epson is sort of like that rear manual slot on the HP -- straight through.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
FG 26# stock

I am using a HP DeskJet 932C
I know it is an old printer but I think it is one of the best models still and the ink cartridges last a very long time and if you buy from an online printer ink store the cartridges are very inexpensive.