Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Desktop Laser Cutters
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:03 am 
Paper Model Overlord

If paper models were available pre-lasercut, would you find the option attractive enough to buy them, or use a service that would lasercut your model for you?

For me, the pleasure of paper modeling is in the design, the skill needed to shape pieces, and in fitting pieces that fit well into the finished assembly. Cutting the little b****rds free of the sheet is solely a tedium that must be endured. Pincing out the millions of tab cuts is REALLY tedious. So I'd leap at the prospect of lasercutting the pieces, or using a service (if the price were reasonable).

With a lasercutter you can effortlessly produce truly fine tab cutting for ultra-clean joints of curved sections, cut the itsy-bitsy-eensie-weensie pieces dead precisely, cut circles that are circuler - the advantages accrue aplenty, as well as save hours in the fabrication time.

So what're your takes on the subject?

A desktop lasercutter can be had in the $10K ballpark, so already the capability is affordable for the truly dedicated modeler (the same machine can also lasercut plastic and balsa, so it'd be cost effective across multiple modeling media).

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:05 pm 
Paper Model CINC

One of the most attractive things about this hobby is low expense: For a distriibutor to sell laser cut models he would have to raise the price appreciatively in order to amortize the cost of equipment and the added cost of having to adapt the design to the cutter's specifications. It would also mean that the models would have to be delivered as a paper product, rather than an e-file. There are several different cutters on the market--all of which use proprietary coding to create the cuts... so adding the coding to e-files woudn't be practical--most card mdoel sellers are operating on a low budget--multiple codings would break the bank. I've bought wooden laser cut N scale model rr structures, and the edges are slightly charred--which wouldn't do at all for a finished paper model.

I'm not in a hurry to get anything built anymore, and I like the economy of the hobby--so I think I'd just as soon stick with my #11 blades and small scissors.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:39 pm 
FG Origami Master

Isn't it nice to model in paper, easy, quick, endlessly modifyable. I do "cut corners" I'll have to admit, I score a row of tabs and only cut one side, this is very quick and often adds some strength when the glue sets up. I especially like that the planes, at least, seem actually capable of flying, a comparable resin plane feels like a brick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:59 am 
FG Origami Master

I like desktop laser cutters, but the cutting is a big part of papermodeling pleasure, I think :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:32 am 
FG Origami Master

If they'd develop a "standard protocol", like DXF for CAD files or JPEG for pix, and could get it to an affordable level, I'd bite--holding the scissors steady is one of my big problems in cardmodeling...

Spam kills to date: Quit counting at 22
DO NOT SPAM IN MY MODERATED FORUMS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...