Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Silver paper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I just went to Office Depot this morning and found 32 lb Xerox Silver paper, 50 sheets for $10. Might be good for some of the models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:05 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Thats interesting. Just how "silver" is it, and can it be used in inkjet printers?

I have a 50 pack of Red River Silver, but it was so dang expensive I keep putting off using it. It would be nice to know there was alternative silver out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:52 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

The first print was done on a Xerox laser printer at work. When I got home I tried my Brother all-in-one ink jet. While it printed with no problem, running my hand over the sheet will produce streaking. Guess I have to use only the laser printer with this paper. The photo shows the laser print on silver on the left and a regular print on white paper on the right for comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 pm 
FG Folder

Greetings,

I found some large posterboard-size sheets for 79 cents ea. @ Michael's craft store, enough to make 6 letter-size sheets with a long 4X24" piece left over. They are silver on one side and gold on the other and aren't real slick textured & I think about 65-67 lb. cardstock, so I thought I'd give 'em a shot tomorrow. I will print one of the B&W helicopters to see how it works, and report my findings.
Some models that I download won't scale onto letter-size stock, so I buy the white posterboard-size cardstock @ walmart for 48 cents a sheet and make legal-size out of it - beats glueing legal-size 20 lb. bond paper onto card stock.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:24 pm 
FG Folder

Greetings,
The test from my previous post was a success. I cut the poster board into six 8.5X11 sheets, set the printer to normal and cardstock, and chose the B&W UH-1 Iraquois as my test bed. I also printed in black ink mode only. I will be putting in an interior and clear plastic windows. I may reprint the forth sheet with the rotory wings and tail rotor on white cardstock because the tail rotor warning bands should be red and white instead of red and silver. I think for 79 cents per large sheet that cuts into 6 letter-size sheets was a bargain. The finish has a weathered natural aluminum to a doped silver look (Spirit of St. Louis anyone?). I am now ready to start on my Air America UH-1 Huey - now if I can find the "AIR AMERICA" logo or decal, I'm set. :D :D

Loadmat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Really? And it takes inkjet ink with no smudging from those of us with big thumbs? Fantastic! Looks like I'm off to Michael's. thanks for the tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 am 
Paper Model Overlord

ill have to try that to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:56 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

I notice that this thread is pretty old. Has anyone used this poster board with sucsess since the last post in May 08?