Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: metalic silver paper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:37 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Is this "Red River Paper" really the only place you can get a good metalic silver paper that will take injet ink? I have been to my local craft store, and tried various silvery papers, but none work (they cant seem to take the ink).

The problem is that in order for me to get the paper from the Red River guys, it would have to pass over the border...and after getting burned doing that one too many times (duty and taxes once tripled the price of an order I had from the US!) I really dont want to have to do it again.

Please let me know if there are any alternatives to ordering directly from these guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:48 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Why not contact Red River Paper, and find out if they have any Canadian distributors.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:03 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Just so you know: I phoned up Red River Paper.

They are strickly direct sales only. I took the plunge and ordered 50 sheets of paper from them on thursday afternoon. They claim that the price includes all the duty etc. The total for me, with Provincial Sales taxs and UPS dilivery (the only way they will deliver to Canada) should be around $45-50 CDN, or approx $1 per page. I guess I will know the extact amount the next time I get my credit card bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:46 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Got my paper for Red River today via UPS.

Its not very heavy, something like 40. I have some 67 pound paper that I cana use as backing. I still have to get some glue and a roller.

My question is:

1. Does anyone have a specific kind of glue they think I should use? I was thinking of just using rubber cement.

2. Do you think I should do the printing before I glue the siver paper to the cardstock, or after?

Any help here would be great! I didnt get a large number of sheets (only 25) so I dont want to waste any experimenting if I dont have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:25 am 
Paper Model CINC

3m makes a spray-on contact cement that's great for bonding paper together I would print first and then glue--no sense putting the printer through any more than you have to--and if you're not exactly together, you could have printer alignment problems, whereas, afterward you only have to be close. Just make sure the ink's perfectly dry befor handling the silver paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:14 am 
FG 90# stock

I a box of Red River paper. I printed it first and then laminated it to 24lb. paper. I use spay adhesive. A caution is that when you role a plane fuselage or bend a wing, the paper laminated under wants to shift, and it does even though glued. It is acceptable with 24lb paper. I am not sure what the shift in a heavier paper would do. Go luck it is really nice paper and somewhat difficule to work with it show PVA glue smudges very markedly and an attempt to remove the glue with water will smear the ink even with a fix coat. So don't get sloppy with your glue!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

um...you "laminated" it to 24 pound paper? You mean you glued it, right? Cause to me, laminate means running it thru one of those gizmos that coats it in plastic.

Thanks for the advice; I will keep everyone informed on how it works out.

Say, while I'm here I'll ask another question of those who are wiser than I-

I was making the XF85 Goblin for my 5 year old son today. I didnt care much about how good it looked, so I cut some corners....anyway, this is one of those modeles where you have to cut the holes in the fuselage after you have rolled it, then slid the wings thru. I have never been able to cut a nice hole doing this. They always end up tearing and generally messed up. Is there a way to do this that I dont know? I have been using a exacto-knife. Should I be using a special kind of blade, or is there some other tool that works better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:48 am 
Paper Model CINC

A brand new #11 Xacto blade should work well (I use Excel brand as I believethey are sharper and hold an edge better). The hobby shop I used to frequent (since out of business) used to sell surgical scalpels and blades. While these are incredibly sharp, the don't hold the edge all that well and are fragile, so fail to perform when cutting on a mat. However, for cutting holes through built assemblies, with no backing, they are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:15 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Two nights ago I printed out the XF85 and stuck it onto 67pound stock using a can of Elmers Glue I found at the local craft store. Last night I cut out 4 parts of the fuselage and glued them...but I havent glued them togehter yet.

I see that you do indeed have to be carful with white glue, even a tiny bit is very visable on that metalic finish. I tried to scrape off a bit and ended up taking off some of the silver as well!

This A.M. I took a quick look and saw that two of the 4 parts have come partially unglued from the cardstock. I will see about touching up those with whitle glue tonight. I can probably blame that on the cheap glue I used. the Elmers can was 4 bucks and another can beside it (can't remember the brand) was more like 8-10 bucks. Guess I shoulda got the more expensive stuff.

I am also wondering if rubber cement would be any better than white glue in terms of leaving marks on the siver finish...probably not. I will keep you all informed on my great Silver Paper Experiment (whether you want to or not :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:49 am 
FG Origami Master

Hi Tim,

this is the stuff I use ,

http://www.uhu.de/_uk/indexx.html

The Flinke Flasche for general duty, the spray for gluing two sheets together, and the hot melt for landing gear

Post subject: Remove UHU stains
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:46 am 
FG 26# stock

Location: Braunschweig, Germany (but near Dallas/FtWorth now)
And the best is: You can remove UHU stains with a brush and acetone (also known as nail polish remover), it will not solve the ink! (I am using HP ink).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:21 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Really? Ok, I'm sold. The next time I'm at the craft store I will look/ask about UHU glue.

Nail polish remover?? Great tip, thanks! I wonder if it would work on any other glues (like white glue)...has anyone tried?

Didnt get much done last night. I managed to get most of the parts cut out, but I havent started any more glueing beyond getting the wings done. I am currently trying to figure out just what household items I can use for a bit of detail.

And while I'm here let me ask this: has anyone got thier magic key for the JU52? I noticed it suddenly appeard on the bomber page, but I havent gotten any email notice about it. Its not listed in the new model section on the FG mainpage either. Odd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:30 am 
FG Origami Master

No notification about the Ju52 here, I noticed it was on the Bombers page a couple of days ago. Maybe Chip hit the wrong key and hasn't noticed it yet...

My Sabre Mk 6 was accepted, not sure if it will be a magic key or not though, or when it will be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:41 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Rick:

Great news about the Saber! I will be watching for it.

I guess I wont panic about the JU52 (yet). I have been waiting for this one for a loooong time. I plan to try and convert it to the JU52 1m (CF ARM) that is at the Western Canada Aviation Museum. Since I just barely know how to use Photoshop, it should realy be a learning experience.

For those whoe dont know, the Ju 52 code lettered Cf ARM was only one of 8 single engined Ju 52s produced. It was operated by Canadian Airways in the mid to late thirties, and until its retirement in 1947 was the largest single engined plane operating in western Canada. It was frequently seen with floats and skies as well as wheels. My father still remembers the racket it made when taking off from the Red River. The noise could be heard clear across the city!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:00 am 
FG Origami Master

I guess that the Ju52 must have been one of the birds on the tarmac when I visited the museum last fall, as I can't recall seeing it. Ah well next time I'm in Winterpeg.