Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:10 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Ah? You were at the WCAM last year? Then you must have seen the Saber 6 they have. Here is a blurb from the website for the uninformed:

The final Sabre built by Canadair, 1815 was flown last in Pakistan. It was donated to the Museum by the Pakistan Air Force in 1996. The Sabre on display at WCAM was made possible due to the efforts of Air Commodore Kamran Qureshi, of the Pakistan Air Force. Air Commodore Qureshi flew this aircraft in the Pakistan/Indian war of 1965. The aircraft recorded six kills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:43 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Just to let everyone know. I have built one XF85 out of the Red River metalic sivler paper.

I printed it out and mounted it onto 67 pound cardstock. This made it rather thick, but not too hard to work with. I knew more or less what I was getting into, as I had already built one XF85 for my number one son. The final results were mixed. I really like the way the finished model looks in metalic silver. However, the model itself was not an easy build. I found the fusalage parts did not fit well together. And ofcouse I made rather a hash of cutting the holes for the wing.

Now, it may just be me and my unfamiliarity with rolling jet parts (I have mostly done WW 1 and 2 stuff) but it did seem to me that this was not a great fitting model. Still, it does look very nice from about 4+ feet away. And it was the perfect size for my first foray into the relm of Red River paper, as it all printed out onto one sheet.

Now, onto the next one. Should it be the Avrocar flying saucer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:44 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Here are some pictures of the XF85 using Red River Siler paper. click on the thumbnail for the larger image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:01 pm 
FG Origami Master

Pretty nifty Tim. Hmmm...maybe I'll buy a pack of silver paper and have a go at some of the bare metal birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Save a couple sheets for the F-100. I plan to do a T-bird's silver version.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:50 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I would truely love to build the century series in silver!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:20 am 
Paper Model CINC

The only real obstacle I can see is the amount of white on the T-bird model. For those who use the somewhat pricey stuff, what techniques do you employ to color the areas, such as the star in the nat'l insignia, that should be white? Finding an ALPS printer is one solution, although a rather drastic one. I may back burner the T-bird and concentrate on a TAC or ANG silver version instead that doesn't need as much white paint..

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject: Solution
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:58 am 
[quote][/quote]

I think you have figured it out. :o)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:10 am 
FG 26# stock

The Red River Paper is thinner than the 67# card stock that I normally use. But I never felt that it was so flimsy at to need laminating. I am building a Silver B-17 with the camo-tail. I have seen some pictures where the maintenance crew "Frankenstein"ed to shot up airframes to make one good one.
Also, What I noticed with the Red River Paper is that the coating is water soluble(sp?) I would suspect that nail polish remover would remove it as well.
The Glue I use, is Aleene's Tacky Glue. I find it in Wal-Mart, and most craft stores.
The way I get around White on silver paint jobs is to print out the white part on a sheet of normal paper and cut it into a "decal" and carefully apply it into place. This is how I did the nose art for the Enola Gay.

Hope this was helpful!

Post subject: Re
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:25 pm 
FG Cutter

Any one ever try printer decal paper, you can get it with white background or clear, Think that the white background may solve the white problem on some markings but not all, Also there are tons of decals sets already made up, you can find just about any you need online, if you want to pay the price some will even make them up custom. I have used a few customs to clone old Estes and Centuri model rockets..opps kits...(out of production) Hey they are mostly paper :D , Just a thought.

Remember growing old is sometimes mandatory growing up is optional.