Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:19 am 
FG Cutter

I just rebuilt my PC, and after reloading Adobe's latest Acrobat reader I lost all ability to scale printing. At one point acrobat reader had a arbitrary print scaling feature -- I've been living without that for a long time. Until now, I had a "print multiple sheets per page" option (quick and dirty scale down) . . . not any longer.

Frustrated, I started trying out alternative PDF viewers. So far, the only one that has impressed me in the print department is PDF-XChange.

It has custom print scaling (with tiling options if you wanted to scale up), and customizable "multiple pages per sheet" options.

It also has a nice portable version that can run off a thumb drive. The portable version also isn't subject to the "remove functionality via upgrade" method that acrobat has become so fond of.

The biggest down-side so far is this is upgrade-ware. As a result, the software menus show what you could do if you wanted to pay. Fortunately, the "locked" options don't really cripple the software or get in the way. As for the website, not so much. If you go to their home page, it tries hard to steer you toward the pro and away from the free viewer, making it hard to find the link I posted above. Normally I'd discount the product entirely from the aggressive sales tactic, but in this case, the product is worth the hunting effort.

I'll not go as far as saying it should replace Acrobat reader on your PC, but if you want to print anything other than one page per sheet unscaled, I'd keep the portable version handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:29 am 
Botbuster Master

sounds kinda complicated for this "okie"...i think i will stick with my photoshop.....all i know how to do with it is rescale and right now that is cool with me..... :D :D :D :D...but some folks might understand what ur saying...lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:39 am 
FG Cutter

Possm,

Has "portable" got you wrapped around the axle? It's actually no sweat.

1. download the .zip with the portable version,
2. unzip it to the folder where you want to keep it (desktop, program files, my paper models . . . wherever)
3. run the PDFXCview.exe in place (double click).

If you want to be fancy, create shortcuts. It runs without installing or intruding onto your system like the DOS programs of old.

From there open your file, hit print, and play with the page scaling options until you've got what you want.

My big point (maybe lost in the details) is that this program has a lot of good printing and scaling options that are easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:45 am 
Botbuster Master

great explanation .....and yep...i do have axle experiences....lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 am 
Paper Model CINC

Great find craftyDan, thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:45 am 
FG Origami Master

possm, I've noticed that when I open PDFs and print them using Photoshop 7.0, they are not as sharp and clear as when I print directly from the PDF itself. Do you have this problem? It only happens with PDFs. PDOs, Jpegs, bitmaps, etc are fine. Unfortunately, probably 80% of the papermodel files I have are PDFs with only a few canned scales like 50%, 75%, etc. Recently I've been experimenting with setting up weird custom paper sizes like 5.13"x7.25" for instance, to fool the PDF into printing at 62%. This is much more complicated than using photoshop, but the quality of the output is so much better that I think it's worth it. Perhaps my Photoshop settings are wrong?

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:08 pm 
Botbuster Master

hmmm...i never really notice any color variation or definition.....ill check next time i use photoshop.....ill let you know
:) :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 am 
FG 26# stock

Hey craftyDan, thanks so much for letting us know about this software - looks like it will be great! For some unknown reason the download page would not load so I went to main site and found the download link and also found a manual and additional OCR files (am assuming they go with the viewer). I read the blurb about the viewer and it sounds like it can also do OCR.

I also found a link for their Lite version which is also free and will create PDF's (non commercial use only) I went to download this for my husband, but my virus scanner alerted to a virus in the file so I canceled and wrote a note to the company to have them check their file. It was probably an error on the scanner's part, but want to make sure. My scanner alerts to things it considers malware but are not viruses! Haven;t figured out how to change those settings yet! *grin*

Thanks again, it definitely looks like a very useful tool and I will be glad to not have to use Adobe (too many chances for viruses)! :D

Cheers! Karen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:23 pm 
FG Origami Master

I have been using this program also, like it a lot more than the standard PDF reader. It works quite well, and I have notice no degradation of quality when I change the print percentage. You also get some other options in there that are quite handy, like printing to the center of the page. This works very nicely when printing an A4 file on regular letter size cardstock.

Also if you want to export a file it will export in a number of different bitmap formats, like png, jpg, etc.....

Beard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
FG 26# stock

Thought you guys might like to know that they also offer a free PDF Creator! Their pay version is called the Standard version and the freebie is the Lite version - very little difference. They also have a portable version that is free so it can go on any computer. Haven't tried it yet, but did download it. If anyone has tried it please let me know what you think!

Cheers! Karen