Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:05 am 
FG 26# stock

I have heard that there are machines that can automatically cut out models. Some claim to take a printed page of card and cut it out!

I am not the least interested in URLs unless they are real people using an item I can order in a brick and mortar store. I want to know what people think, I don't want a sales pitch.

Eclipse and all cricut products may only use proprietary cartridges to cut out other peoples work.

and they have not."

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:44 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I couldn't be any more behind you on this one. Picking the pieces and gluing together is only part of it. Making the cuts yourself is the other part. I saw that printer and it looks cool but the thing with Card Stock Modeling it the man behind the blade and knowing how to use it. Next thing you know there will another machine taking the pieces and doing the gluing for you. I know I'm just starting out on the hobby but it doesn't sound right to me. wc

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Well, I for one would welcome a printer that accurately cuts the parts out - I'd build a model in about a third or a quarter the time it takes now, and the pieces would be more accurately cut. But then my principal creative enjoyment is designing a successful model more than building it. Machine cutting would also get those itty bitty eensy weensie pieces cut right that scissors and knives are large as hatchets to cut out.

One would have to take care not to have the machine simply cut all the parts at their finish edges - some parts would have to have ears and margins to permit manipulation into final shape and something to hang onto while positioning (which would have to be hand trimmed off later), so not every cut can be machine made. There's a great deal of skill still necessary to do the shaping and gluing, working out the proper sequence of assembly, so as to finish up with a model that doesn't look like the house cat lent assistance with clawed paws and teeth.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Maybe I misspoke. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:05 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Wad_Cutter wrote:
Maybe I misspoke. Sorry.

Not at all - and I apologize if I seemed harsh - I was only speaking for myself.