Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 am 
FG 26# stock

I have been reading some modelers apply Acrylic Lacquer to the paper. The acrylic lacquer I seem to be able to find is Rust-Oleum Automotive 253366 11-Ounce Acrylic Lacquer Spray, Clear Gloss. Is this ok or what else could I use?

BTW, I posted in a couple of threads about my experience with Minwax Pre-stain wood conditioner, that it made the paper softer instead of stiffer...but I only applied one coat. Any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Some folks use fixative sprays meant for photos/art work. I have some clear acrylic sprays in matte and gloss that I got from the art supply section at WalMart. Works pretty well, just use very light coats.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I use the Krylon clear and Preserve it sprays. I tried a gloss but didn't get the effect I was going for which was a high gloss. I'm still looking for a good high gloss spray which will give a very high shine to it. wc

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm 
FG Origami Master

Waddy,

To get high gloss, try repeated light coats. Print something on a card stock then just experiment on that. I would probably be best to get that gloss finish with Krylon after the model is built. Otherwise you will be trying to glue to highly painted surface that could separate from the background.

You could also try building out of glossy brochure paper, which is about as thick as cover stock. I have been experimenting with sanding the tab surfaces and backs with an emery board which roughens up the surface to take glue. Also the brochure paper likes a sharp knife. The colors print better (much richer} on brochure paper.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:34 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thanks for the heads up Beard. One the model so far that I was looking for a very shinny black and white coloring on was the Dale Earnhardt No.#3 car. I printed it out and hi it with the spray 2 times allowing to dry in be twee sprays. Nothing! No shin. My next idea from Willy was use photo paper but I will have to get some CA glue. Thanks for the ideas. wc

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
FG 26# stock

Thanks guys that helps a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 am 
FG Tissue Paper

For those who are trying to get a high gloss finish I have a suggestion. After you have enough coats of lacquer applied to protect the paper from moisture, you might try a coat of Future floor polish. Modelers use this for a high gloss finish on plastic models and this might work on paper also. It might also ruin a finished masterpiece, so experiment on something you can sacrifice first!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:40 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

If I want a glossy finish I usually print onto glossy brochure paper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 am 
FG Origami Master

I have used the Glossy Brochure paper also. I find that sometimes it doesn't take glue as well, but it you sand the glue surfaces, it works OK.

I also saw a new (to me) product at Wal Mart the other day. Rattle can Min-Wax, furniture varnish in a couple of different finishes. I wonder how that would work. But you have to remember you need a really smooth finish to get a good high gloss, and only the glossy papers will give you that.

Beard