Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am 
FG Folder

I have been building the Albatros DVa with a slow methodical approach. I have been adding my own details to the engine, because it just didn't look right as a simple block sitting on top of the plane. I had hoped to finish this quickly, but alas it is not meant to be. I am finally getting to the wings when I noticed that the top wing is a reversed image than what it is meant to be. In other words the radiator is located on the wrong side of the wing.

Looking down upon the wing, the radiator is on the left side, and it needs to be on the right hand side of the pilot. The pipes coming out of the radiator go out towards the right side (pilots right side) and up to the wing.

I don't have any program other than what came with my computer, which is the Paint program. I also use Microsoft Word when I do need to do a little bit more editing. Unfortunately both programs are limited in what can be done. I have tried converting the pdf file to a bmp and jpg file and use those on Paint and Word, but the clarity is so blurry and unusable that it can't be used.

I have noticed also the instruction sheet shows the radiator on both the left and right side of the diagrams. I am sure it's just a slight mistake, but one that I can't remedy. I have researched the Albatros on the internet to see if the engines were at anytime reversed with the exhaust pipes on the pilots left side, but I can't find anything to verify that. I cant switch the engine on the plane, because it is glued in place with the new exhaust pipes on the right side. I don't know what to do, I have spent a lot of time to build this kit. I like this kit, but I am a little frustrated with the design. Any opinions?

caddman05

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 am 
FG Origami Master

Are you building the large or the regular? I have that model so I can flip the image for you and send it to you.

Beard

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 pm 
FG Folder

I am building the regular version. I had forgotten about the large version, so I also tried to convert that to a smaller scale, but still you could see that it was rough. Anyways I would appreciate whatever you could send so that I may finish this model.

Thanks
caddmann05

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:47 pm 
FG 90# stock

Caddman,

There is a lot that can be done with the Paint program, but there is a lot more that you cannot do with it. For those who want to try their hand at modifications, I usually recommend a program called "Gimp" which is open source, very powerful and free to use for as long as you like without getting all the sales pitches to buy it. It takes some getting used to, but it's still a lot easier than Photoshop, and the price can't be beat. Download it at www.gimp.org for any operating system.

While you are cutting your teeth on that, I'll look into the issues you mentioned with this model. It would be very helpful if you could sketch a picture of what you think that particular part should look like. Then scan it or take a photo of your sketch, send it to me, and I can then I can work on something for you to try out. If it works out well, I will be happy to include it as a revision for the rest of the modelers.

Of course, if it just needs to be flipped, then Burning Beard can help with that, and I can just work on updating it. (Thanks BB)

Scott Fyn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:34 am 
FG Origami Master

We got 'er done, I recommended Gimp to Caddman also.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:27 am 
FG Folder

I downloaded the Gimp program, and I think it is a little more complicated to use. I will keep trying though, but the help portion of the program seems to be separate than the actual dwg program, so to even get started is a struggle for me right now. I have another older computer that has AutoCAD 2000 installed on that. As soon as I get another monitor I will be able to use it. I think that will solve my issues as well as relying on the generosity of my fellow FG comrades. Da? LOL!