Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:11 pm 
FG Cutter

I printed the regular size version of the pedal car and the instruction sheet. The windshield, bumpers and headlights are printed in the instructions instead of the model sheet and also they appear to be sized for the large model only.
I had a look at the large sized model and it also had no windshield, bumper or headlights so the instruction sheet can only be for one size. Anyone know which one it is. I assume this was just designer mistake or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 pm 
FG Origami Master

It looks like it for the large size to me also. If I wanted to convert it to the regular size I would use the wheels. Convert the instruction page to a size that makes the wheel diameter on the instruction page the same as the wheel diameter on the regular size model. Since you already have the model printed out print out the instruction page and figure the percentage of difference and then reprint the instruction page to match.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:36 pm 
FG Cutter

Well, you make that sound easy enough, but I'll admit to being lost on how to do that. I will do some searching on the Googledy box to see what I can find on how to measure and convert that. You're such a big help Beard. I appreciate it as always! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:59 am 
FG Origami Master

I'll do some checking, it is easy to figure in Corel. When I answered last night it was past my bedtime, lol. We old coots need our beauty sleep.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 am 
FG Origami Master

The short answer is print at 66%. This is done with the old cross multiply and divide by the number with the X routinte, for figuring simple proportions.

8.5/100 equals proportion 5.6/66

for simplicity I used paper size, instead of wheel size, but it would be the same

100 (per cent) times 5.6 (new instruction page size) equals 560
divide 560 by 8.5 (original paper size) equals 66 (per cent)

values are rounded off of course.

Anyhoo that is the way it works.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:15 pm 
FG Cutter

Ok, I feel like I'm about to really show some severe ignorance here but I'll go ahead because it's driving me nuts. The formula is very simple and I understand what to do. The piece I'm still missing is.... how did you know that the new paper size was going to be 5.6??? Using the wheel diameter for measurement makes perfect sense, but I would never have figured what the new page size would be unless I already knew to subtract the 66%.

Please forgive the ignorance, maybe this will help other newbies though as I can already see changing proportions is a vital skill in this hobby.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:22 pm 
FG Origami Master

Sorry, I just did it using Corel. I took the instruction sheet and made it transparent, then reduced it in size until wheel on the instructions were the same size as the wheel on the "regular" sheet. Then I just read off the size of the instruction sheet which was now 5.6". However, that wouldn't help you because you because the you needed the percentage the instructions need to be printed.
That is where the formula comes in. You could just measure the two different sizes of the wheels and plugged them into the formula and come up with the 66% that way.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:43 pm 
FG Cutter

HA HA! Ok, that makes me feel much better. Thought I might be losing it. :)