Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:30 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Most of the two different models are made(The Red & White and the Black & Yellow)and now waiting for there landing gears. When I look at the instructions it appears that a button is glue to both sides of the landing gear struts but when looking from a head on perspective it at a picture of the complete landing gear strut, looks like there is but only one button on the struts. If I make as the instruction apply then won't it look as if it has duel wheels instead on a single wheel on each strut? I know you guys have the answer for me. Thank you very much for your time. wc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:04 pm 
FG Origami Master

I've never built this, so this is a guess as to the way I would approach it.

I would laminate the center part of the strut and wheel boot so it is a little tougher. Then I would cut out the glue button here, and edge glue the button into the hole, that button has to be very close to the size of section you are cutting out so it doesn't flop around in there. You will have to make sure it lines up vertically (from the front) and that it is centered.

The truth be know I would just make a set of paper wheels and do the same as above. I would forego the button completely.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:52 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

The purpose of the two buttons was to make the wheel the correct thickness. What I did was to trace the rounded end of the gear strut with the wheel shape onto cardboard (cereal box) a few times. I think I did two layers on each side of the strut. All glued up, they make about the correct thickness. I then cut a strip of paper the same with, and the length of the exposed "wheel". Glue it on and give it some black marker. Not much of the wheel is actually seen with the spats on. That's what I did with my GeeBee I built a while back. If I still had it, i'd take some close ups. But, my sone got a hold of it when he was 3 and sent it to the model boneyard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:35 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Ok Coach, I tried it your way and bang we have a pair of winners. All I have to do is color the center section black and that will do it. Of course had I colored the white center first I could save me some time. Thank all for the ideas and suggestions. Another problem down and only more to come. wc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm glad it worked for you Waddy. I had to dig back into the memory bank for that one. It was nearly 10 years ago that I built that model.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 am 
Paper Model Overlord

BTW-thank you again. Another BTW-all the more reason to remake it again and take photos. What do you think? wc