Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: New from Fiddlers Green
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Just in case anybody is wondering, I'm now working full time for FG, helping Chip dig through the pile of models waiting for release.

While discussing the next model to be released, we came upon a great idea. What we want to do is complete a black & white version of a model, then about 2 or 3 weeks before it's release, send it to anybody interested in doing a colored version that we'll include in the release.

For example, in about 2 weeks we are releasing the Douglas DC-9 airliner. We already have a great Eastern version by Rob Carleen, and a great Hawaiian Airlines version Chip did himself. More versions would be great though, especially if we could include them in the initial release.

We're debating either giving anybody who turns in an approved version 3 months free Magic Keys, or outright money.

Also, Rob's Hawker Hunter is up for release after the DC-9, so we're going to give the B&W version to anybody who wants to do a colored version.

If anybody is interested, e-mail us at info@fiddlersgreen.net.

BTW: let us know what version you want to do in the e-mail, so we don't end up with everybody doing the same thing.

What we also want to do is have everybody who does a version send in a little history about that particular version that we'll include on the first page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:29 am 
FG 90# stock

Sounds cool!
At the same time though, sounds a little bit complicated to me ...
Would this mean there would be 2 releases? A first B/W one and then some weeks later, the color one with many versions?
In my opinion, somehow it ruins the great moment when I check your website for a new release and I see that little pic of the new color model.
Why not simply make your usual release, then ask for the public to submit color versions from a B/W template which should come with the release, and only a few weeks later show the best ones (maybe 2,3 or 4) and give them that 3 month suscription reward?
Thanks so much for keep thinking better ways for us (your customers and friends) to enjoy our relation with FG :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:49 am 
Site Admin

Howzit Guys

Awesome idea on the BW prerelease, it'll finally give us budding photoshop artists a kick in the backside to do some designing and enhance the FG "experience". Another cool thing is that it'll allow us to design our own nationality specific plane e.g. South African colours in my case.

I agree with Mauri though, the financial reparations are not the way to go. Free magic keys (i.e. models) maybe, if anything at all. I would think that the knowledge that your recolour is being published and built is enough.

In my case though, Kulula.com (SA budget airline) DC-9 (actually MD-82) is in the process of being designed.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Admin

This is still in the planning stages.

The idea we had was when we send the announcement for a new model release, we'll include a notice on the bottom mentioning the next 2 models and a request to email us with the model and version you want to color. We'll then send the links to the black and white files to only whoever responds.

When it comes time for that model to be released, hopefully there will be 3 or 4, or more, versions to be released, instead of just one. We like the idea of giving Magic Keys as renumeration. Plus, every version will have the name of the person who did it on the first page, along with their story about that particular version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:35 am 
FG 90# stock

Sounds great ...
When do we start? :D

ok ... right here, right now, I offer myself to do a step-by-step tutorial on how to colour b/w versions with Photoshop before the end of August. Although not many people has Photoshop or can afford to buy it, hopefully it will help somebody get the idea. I will post it in my blog (http://papermauri.blogspot.com) and offer it to FG if Chip thinks it is useful enough.

You're the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:48 pm 
FG Cutter

Mauri,

I for one would love a wee tutorial on photoshop -> Fiddlers Green.

Take care,

Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:52 am 
Paper Model CINC

I've already got one--nearly complete. It uses Photoshop Elements instead of Photoshop--because elements is definitely within anyones price range, whereas Photoshop is quite expensive. Elements can be had for pennies on Ebay and is somtimes bundled with printers. For those using GIMP (freeware), instructions easily cross over in most cases. The idea is, that recoloring should not be an exclusinve club--the price of expensive software being the initiation fee.

That being said--I'm not in favor of releasing the models to the world, even in BW form until the model is published....except to proven illustrators, whose work has preveiously been published by fg..for example, you're offering my DC-9 out to be colored, yet I've not yet seen the model in it's final form. I believe that it would be better to wait a week or two--let the would be artists build the model and get the feel for it--see how and where the insignias, colors and marking flow from section to section, and then base their versions on what's been previously done. For example--I spent an entire day drawing in the camoflage on the Hunter--it's done--it's right--why reinvent the wheel? You'll also keep the correct shades. If Guido, John, Jim or others who routinely help me with my artwork want to do a version--they know I'll share the art with them....They've already produced a couple stunning versions.

I don't believe I want FG to offer my work in advance. I don't know how the other designers feel, but I want my work to stand first--not be burried in a pile of recolors.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:53 am 
FG Origami Master

Here here Rob. I agree with your assessment of the situation. And, your version should be the first one out of the gate.

Ray

Don't Squat with yer spurs on.....its gonna hurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Valid point Rob. I know I agreed on the BW prerelease on a previous post but your point has made me change my mind. Let the guy who actually designed the model have the initial glory then as you say once everyone else has got a feel for it, let them go ahead and have their recolour released as well. It suits all parties and everyone's happy in the end.

BTW I'm currently working on a model of the OV-10A Bronco and I for one wouldn't want my moment of glory taken away (at least not initially), sounds selfish I know, but it is my design in the end.

Cheers

Niki

P.S. Built the Hunter model, really nice fit of parts. Well done again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:14 am 
Paper Model CINC

Broco's a good plane--got one here on the museum restoration line, if you'd like some pictures.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Yeah I picked it as a first timer for two reasons; firstly it is such a unique airplane and secondly it's relatively boxy, making my design job much easier than the curvy birds.

Pics would be really awesome, I've got quite a few off the net of the general shapes and sizes of the airframe. What I need though is close-ups of the finer details, e.g. landing gear, fuselage gun pods, wing-fuselage interface and wing-boom interface. It's a bit of a list I know but I've got to try my luck sometime. Basically anything would be really useful.

Thanks again

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 am 
FG Origami Master

Have you thought of "borrowing" off of repaints of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 aircraft? I've personally downloaded over 10G of aircraft over the years, including some insane repaints. Viewing the bitmaps of the paintjobs gives you excellent graphics to port onto the model, and include all of the weathering that many of the designers include.

The OV-10A Bronco, for example, lives in my "Rockwell" hangar, and comes in paint schemes for Air Force, Marines, ROKAF, RoVAF, Venezuelan, and even a California Department of Forestry (which is how'd I'd repaint it).

Within FS2004, you can park the bird on the ramp, zoom in on the bird, and do a virtual walk-around. Screen shots [ALT-PRTSCN] pasted into Photoshop or Gimp can be edited for colors, pulling graphics, or just used as reference photos.

Some great sites to download free add-ons for FS2004 include:
http://www.simviation.com
http://www.avsim.com
... not to mention that the program comes with some pretty remarkable aircraft itself. There's a plethora of C-47s/DC-3s on the web just from this program alone. They've got the FG Piper Cub, Cessnas, and a Learjet that should make it's way to FG. As for the Ford Trimotor? Fogeddabowdit!

Ethically, is it plagerism? Maybe. Most designers post their email addresses in the text file for aircraft characteristics. Personally, if I was gonna lift a graphic (NOSE ART!!!), I'd ask the designer first. I know that if I was a flight sim add-on designer doing it for the sake of the hobby (hey, just like us cardmodelers!), I'd be pleased as pie to get a 3-D representation of something that only lives on my computer.

Phew! Okay, enough said, and I hope it helps us all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Thanks Sarge, that's an awesome idea. I'll get right down to it. BTW, what happened to your KC-135 ambitions? That would've made an awesome model and an awesome diorama with other FG models.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:39 pm 
FG Origami Master

Maybe I'm not a designer and I haven't been making paper models as long as many of you have, but I don't understand what is wrong with the system as it is now!

If you don't like the version the designer did, design your own or wait until someone does a repaint that you prefer. If you work in plastic, you have three choices, the decals in the box, aftermarket decals (if anyone ever makes them), or make your own (not easy, but a challenging bit of fun).

What are you planning, a white Piper J3 so competitors can paint it yellow with different numbers?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!!!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:08 pm 
FG Origami Master

I think the intent is to provide for some more paint jobs sooner rather than later. I know that I enjoyed building a whole slew of Mustangs all at once, each one different, and the whole display looked much better than a group of individuals.

Sometimes it takes over a year for new paints to be available for those who don't repaint planes, and if their magic keys had expired they'd be outta luck. Or, someone may be on the fence over whether to purchase a plane because they don't like the paint scheme for one reason or another. By having multiple paints of the same bird, you appeal to a wider audience and make that bird more tempting to a potential customer.

Me, I like being able to build three different bf-109s being shot to hell by three different Mustangs!