Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:50 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Sarge you'd love the T-33 collection we did over the last year, then, it represents nearly every country that flew them, plus some civil models. We sold it on ebay while you were otherwise engaged. I donated the proceeds to the museum here. We may offer it again soon, along with some other stuff.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:54 pm 
FG Origami Master

Hmmm, would those include American, Hellenic, Phillipine and Dutch?

I wonder how I learned that? I must've been lurking in some other forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 pm 
Paper Model CINC

about forty + versions--a bit over twenty countries represented--but yes--that's a sample.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Airforce must have been one of those fly's on the wall during our meeting, because he nailed it right on the nose.

Our intention wasn't to release the files to anybody and everybody. Of course the Designer gets first crack at their version. What we had in mind was to set up a group of people who are interested in doing recolors, so we don't have to, and can focus more on getting new models out. What we also wanted to do was see if we could get more versions ready by th time of release for the model, so it would sell better. That way, if ,say, some body doesn't want a paticular version of a model, they'll still buy it because we have the version they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Airforce must have been one of those fly's on the wall during our meeting, because he nailed it right on the nose.

Our intention wasn't to release the files to anybody and everybody. Of course the Designer gets first crack at their version. What we had in mind was to set up a group of people who are interested in doing recolors, so we don't have to, and can focus more on getting new models out. What we also wanted to do was see if we could get more versions ready by th time of release for the model, so it would sell better. That way, if ,say, some body doesn't want a paticular version of a model, they'll still buy it because we have the version they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:34 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks for the kudos, and I can't wait to pitch in and see how badly I can mangle something!

Buzz buzz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:01 am 
Paper Model CINC

See that's the part I don't agree with. If I design a model--I want MY work to be out there first--not an in there with-- bit of crap. I have a group of friends who help me do my artwork, I know their quality and ability to not only do eyecatching , but accurate representations. for the first week or two--the work should reflect us--and not some other work by folks selected by a third party...that may or may not be up to MY standards. For example--my F-100 files were modified with landing gear that was not only not my work--but totally incorrect. That still embarrases me whenever I get an email from an old USAF type asking where I got my interpretation of that bird's landing gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:14 am 
FG Origami Master

Would it be considered fair for the designer to be part of the approval process for a repaint? In that regard, they'd have final say, be able to fix little glitches, and maintain the overall standards of consistency with the model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:59 am 
Paper Model CINC

Once the models been out for a few weeks--I could care less whether a person submitted a pink and black "Elvis" version. the Point is--that the first release should belong to the designer. PERIOD....unless he is ammenable to such thing, of course. I don't want to look over every repaint of each mopdel I do and check it for accuracy, completeness and quality. I've seen some really scabby work in the past and I'd rather be working on something new, than going back to revist my previous work. If FG is getting so greedy that they can't even give a fellow his moment in the sun, then it's probably time for me to find a differnt venue for my work. I thinnk that CF, AM etal should have consulted with the author before coming up with a scheme like this. I've dropped my current project to come up with a viable F-104 for FG, but the way this thread is running, I think I'm going back to my own stuff. It doesn't seem to be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 pm 
FG Origami Master

Well, put that way, count me in on your bandwagon. Based on the past models you've parked in the hangar, I don't see the need to argue the point. There's still a big difference between 6 weeks before more paint jobs appear, and sometimes 3 to 4 years in the cases of other birds.

Also, as long as a B/W version is available, that should make any of the repainters happy, and you the designer and Chip the manager can continue quality review to see if it's release worthy or not.

BTW, thanks for the work you've been doing for FG. The models just get better and better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 pm 
Paper Model CINC

For the past year or so, I've been working on a "how to Recolor" article...it's nearly complete--I'm into the parts about shading and weathering, so you know it's nearly a wrap. I proposed to CF, that instead, once the model has debuted, to have a contest, awarding MK's to the best. I didn't go into any detail on the concept--but there'd have to be time limits, graduated awards, and the like....those woud be his things to come up with....additionally, someone would have to actually build the entrants, to verify alignemnt and all.....not what I'd want to get involved with. All that would have to be done with plan A, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:06 am 
FG 90# stock

Rob,
I agree with your point of view and the contest system seems the more logical and easy thing to do. I think that, to avoid the problem of having to build and check the models submited by fans, recoloring should be limited to ... recoloring. I mean, all submissions shold fit a b&w version submited by FG, so that we would be talking about color and markings variations only.
It's how I see it , anyway.
Any other kind of variations are a completely different thing ... and CF is the person to decide what to do with those.
Hope this helps ... take care.

Btw, today is my last day at work before holidays ... 8) can't wait to put my hands on the 2 modles I am preparing to offer to FG. The german Luft '46 Junkers EF128 and the Sikorsky S-39.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Howzit All

This is a bit of a sticky topic and one which I feel might fracture the FG family. I enjoy building the FG models, whether it comes from Rob, Chip, Arron, Jim, Guido, whoever. The initial release should honour the designer and the skill he/she put into it. Modifying BW files is fine in order to create another version and in order to hone the skills of the wannabe designers out there like me. Quality is the first thing we should worrying about when designing and releasing new models, the better the quality the more the model appeals to the modelling community.

IMHO, we don't want to alienate great designers like Rob because of a petty thing like this. Let Chip and the FG team sort the problem out, FG hasn't become the business it is through lack of management. If everyone just steps back and takes a broader look at the whole situation, I'm sure we can resolve this to the benefit of EVERYONE concerned.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Jim--I contacted Chip and he too sees he light, once I put it that way.

Jim--don't forget to add some Teddy Bears to your design, along with those Blue Suede LG and all.

My wife( the dead one) dragged me to Graceland, about twenty years ago when we were living in Memphis--OH MY GOD! Cost a small fortune to see just how tacky one person could live when money was no object.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 am 
FG Origami Master

Well, I'm glad that the former issue is now resolved.

As for the second, having just returned from the annual Las Vegas vacation, might I recommend some rhinetones to that design?

Oh, and really huge advertising banners to be towed in flight! As this is a "family friendly" site, I'd go with the $.99 shrimp cocktails and "loosest slots" over any references to Crazy Horse Too.