Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pepakura, and me...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:24 am 
FG 26# stock

I found this program, pepakura, that makes unfolded plans from 3d objects that you can use to make paper models. Well, that got me started thinking (always a dangerous thing... to quote Max Byalistock.. "worlds have turned on such thoughts")

Many of you have heard of this program already. Being an inveterate tinkerer I got to playing with it. I have made thousands of 3D shapes and aircraft for flight sims like MSFS and X-Plane and Microflight over the years, so wondered what it would take to get one into a model?

As it turns out my flightsims models are often too intricate to make good models as they are , but simplified models made from them seem to work better.

My intital test has been with my Lockheed Vega, using a simpler form of it, made in Ac3d software then exported as a .3ds file that pepakura can import. Heres how it looks so far

as you can see just the fuselage wing and cowling were used. IChose the Vega for its simple wing planform but also to see how the thingy handled the curved fuselage. I used 24 sided sections for the fuselage.

Had trouble initially with the wingtips, but seemed to be on track now with some splits to help form the shape.

I can now add tabs and work on colors, having already sized and moved the parts to be across 2 pages.

Its kinda neat how this little proggie works, and this is just the shareware demo, not the 'registered' version (what the difference is I dont yet know - some features are supposedly not active in the demo)

Stay tuned for further developments, as the darkroom assistant said...

BD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:25 am 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

Another oz flight simmer... I know a few... which one are you? "BD" doesn't sound familiar...

Inspector Poly wants to know...

As for Pepakura - think FS98 and Aircraft Factory.

I've been tinkering with taking some of the FS98 afx files, converting them to dxf and then pushing them through Pepakura that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:19 pm 
FG 26# stock

[quote="FelixR"]Another oz flight simmer... I know a few... which one are you? "BD" doesn't sound familiar...

quote]

I am the only one I know.. the only BD that is :lol: I haven't made stuff for MSFS for ages but have made a LOT for X-Plane, my name once came up like a rash until they changed the server and dumped all the files. But the handle was always BD Ford.

I find the x-plane files ideal starting points, firstly because I have made so many, secondly because when an x-plane .acf file is imported into Blender (free software) then exported as a useable 3D file (in my case exported into AC3D's own .ac file format) the shape has been already quite simplified, especially the wings.

I am finding so far, that straight conversions dont work in pepakura, that things have to be designed or redesigned with unfolding in mind to get a shape in pepakura that plans out properly. Here's a look at the WIP so far for the Vega

fuselage sections were given a numbered texture to keep them sorted out. We see them going together quite well, very tight fit, the wing has been built up and captures the high arch airfoil shape and thick chord of the real Vega.

This is looking quite promising. But, I'll have to make it bigger for my tastes - I find the smaller models harder to manage - it's a personal thing I'm sure. So far I have built only the FG larger versions. I want the vega to be, say, about 20" - 22" wingspan.

While some keen modellers are seeing how small they can build these models I am leaning towards seeing how large - like maybe projecting the final pages onto large sheets of artboard and making them in card, thin balsa and foam for 3-4' wingspans? Wheeee... ! :twisted:

BD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:58 pm 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

I envy you - I took one look at the airplane maker in X-plane 5? and recoiled.

I stick to MSFS....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:46 pm 
FG Origami Master

FelixR wrote:
I envy you - I took one look at the airplane maker in X-plane 5? and recoiled.

I stick to MSFS....

FelixR--X-plane has been updated alot since v.5 (it's on v.8 now). The plane maker may be different. (But in my opinion, it's still kinda difficult. :? )

BD Ford--Can't wait to see the final model. And happy to see someone else uses X-plane. 8)

----------
Painter of Airwolf
Current project: A-7 Corsair II Desert Storm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:22 am 
FG 26# stock

yes, I confess... I am a long term x-plane molester... since V3 for me! Missed 4 but came back to it with 5.66 but have since stopped at 7.63 while my just ordered V8 disks arrive.

Apparently the V8 planemaker isnt a lot different at its core - new features, but still a lot of the basic system - in other words about as intuiative as learning Urdu by braille. Fortunately I am a long time CAD user so can manage to get where I want, found x-plane not too bad after I had mastered FST's in house CAD builder. Oi...

Anyway the project so far has been kinda fun and interesting. I love to tinker and build things, and have become fascinated by the discipline needed for card modelling as opposed to plastic kits etc.

stay tuned. Or chooned, as my step-son might say.

BD

Post subject: Lockheed Vega model
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

BD Ford,,,

Whatever resulted with your Vega design.. I'm in the middle of doing the Amelia Earhart and Wily Post versions and would love to see what you have..

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:35 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

cool beans guys! BD, it sounds great, can't wait to see it!