Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:06 am 
FG Origami Master

Well, after a lot of bluster and ballyhoo I finally started a bird that I felt I had the best chances of actually putting together well. I found a really good 3VUE drawing, and (thanks Rob!) following some design guide I just found laying around the Internet, got started framing it out. The engine wells are going to be a cast-iron pain, but other than that there are a lot of features on this airplane that I think would make it really popular.

For instance, did you know that:
- It (OA-37) was equipped with FOD screens that rotated up from under the fuselage to cover the intakes?
- It was the only aircraft that went though OT&E (Operational Test and Evaluation) in actual combat in Vietnam?
- It was so strong, it could carry it's own weight in ordinance, fuel, and ammo (cannon and rockets), and spend more time on station that the F-100?
- It was so loved and respected by the Vietnamese pilots that flew her that there are several still on static display in Ho Chi Min City?
- The trainer version went into service in 1956, along with the KC-135? Only the B-52 is older (by one year). The T-37 fleet received a structural overhaul in 1989, extending their lifespan another 40 years.

I have all of the data and info to build all the stores, too. She had fuel tanks, rocket pods, a nose cannon, cannon pods, and could haul almost any bomb in the inventory up to 870-lbs. She could even pack sidewinders!

Builders will have to be creative with air refuelable versions, as the piping is external. I'd also like to complete a Republic of Korea Air Force (RoKAF) "Black Eagles" aerial demonstration team paint scheme as well, depending on my patience.

I'll ask for test builders once I get to getting a body design, probably early to mid February. I wonder where I can find any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:19 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm up for the challenge! I saw a Tweet recently at a museum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:27 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Good luck with your 'Tweet'. Noisy little things, though. By the time you've got the fuselage nailed--you'll find those intakes aren't quite the beast you might think. Look-see how others have done similar, and just create them on paper first--that's how I did the T-bag's intakes. Surprisingly easy. Wait until yuou see what I had to do for the F-90's, though...same zen methodology.

the T-37's big cockpit canopy begs for an interior.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm 
FG Origami Master

Rob wrote:
the T-37's big cockpit canopy begs for an interior.

Maybe for version two. Let me get through version one first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

They've got one down at Pima Air museum. First time I saw it, I thought they had it sitting on the ground with the LG raised. I still can't believe how low to the ground it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:56 pm 
3rd Assistant to Botbuster Master

And please don't forget the four-seater cabin bizjet that didn't make it into production .... (Cessna 407, I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:26 pm 
FG Scorer

Oh please sign me up for the beta-build!! I was working on my own version but got side-tracked on some building designs. I saw a Tweet in the West Texas skies a few weeks back- they're becoming alot more rare lately as I understand the NATO pilot training program at Shepherd AFB is the only USAF unit still flying them. I think their small fleet is due to be replaced by the newer T-6 soon. They were a regular sight in the skies over Lubbock thanks to Reese AFB. Like the B-52, their many years of service are a testament to the original design. I recall a favorite joke among the Reese T-37 IPs: "This may not be your father's Air Force, but this sure might have been his airplane"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Sarge, I like the little idea, the little Cessna is a funky little plane that amongst others deserves to be modelled, good for you. Speaking of beta builders, I'm keen for the honour (honor, for you Americans) and any repaints that you might need (I reckon I'm actually better at repaints than builds...). Let me know. Until then, good luck.

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm 
FG Scorer

Already thinking about repaints...

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm 
FG Origami Master

Looking at those photos, it doesn't seem that it would be a great leap to come up with a CT-114 using a fair amount of the T-37's airframe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:02 pm 
Botbuster Master

:D Looks like a cool model to me......but it will have to get in line....i figger if i live long enuff to build all my models....i will never die....lol :lol: :lol:

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:24 am 
FG Origami Master

Cool plane, I'm in line to have that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:27 pm 
FG Origami Master

The center fuselage is done. I'm building it all of the way through at a huge size, and once I've got the whole thing buildable every time, then I'll resize down. Thanks to Rob's advice and some playing around on my own, if I get everything fitted at large size, it shrinks and fits well. The nose is a little different, and I can't wait to see how it builds.

I decided on a center wing-box. I know it's not normal for FG to do a box for smaller planes, but I want to completely model the intakes and exhaust.

I'm glad there's such a positive response to this guy. I can't wait to get it ready to paint!

BTW, I'm also working on a P-38 redesign...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:04 am 
Site Admin

Howzit

Good to hear you're making progress with the plane, sign me up for repaints and beta builds. A P-38 redesign? Awesome stuff!

Niki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:44 am 
Site Admin

Don't worry about the wing box. FG design is in the process of evolving. Whatever makes the plane stronger and look good is up right now.