Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:13 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Caught a bug this weekend so made my eyes water in marathon session making up a decent WWI instrument board, in this case the board for the Sopwith Triplane, and I attach the results here for your own use (someone on this board is a WWI enthusiast as I recall).

Photoshop is a marvelous tool - but you already knew that. Here's a shot of the real board I used as source to make up the model board:

--- and here's the board for the model, each instrument carefully made circular, shadows removed, markings made uniform & complete, perspective corrected, etc. etc. etc.

The Xmas present itself is all the board components in the clear, so you can group them on your own panels as you see fit ---

Those brass switches are (I believe) the magneto ground switches, and the sight glass is the castor oil "oil pressure" gauge for rotary engines. The tilted tachometer is likely due to a connecting elbow in the back of the instrument forcing that orientation for clearance - it gives the board a nice utilitarian look. Of interest is the size of the correcting iron mass cylinders for the compass - seems like a lot of correction for a wooden craft, but the technology was still being worked out back then.

Happy holidays!!

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:40 am 
FG Origami Master

Many, many, thanks for this Christmas present, Mark! :D