Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
FG Scorer

Greetings. Whilst pouring over the many numerous examples of design submissions and emails from the more experienced, I've begun to compile a document outlining the essential elements needed for FG submission.

It's basically a collection of Chip's comments made in response to submitted designs. I think I amassed over 200 comments and condensed them down into a more coherent and prioritized "list of necessities".

I did find some statements that seem to contradict one another. For example, is the WSAM % part of the title or still to be placed near the model 3-view? Is it gray or 60% opaque?

I did this essentially for my own benefit, as I have some designs I am working on that I would like to submit at some point. But starting from scratch, I had nothing to go on and really didn't want to bother the reviewer if I could get it right before submitting it. Might there be some benefit to others if I share my compilation?

I also ask forgiveness if this may appear presumptive on my part...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Having worked with Chip directly, I can answer a few of those contradictions. The WASM is placed where Chip feels it will look the best, mainly to fill up empty space. It should be black, with 60% opacity, making it look gray.

With Chip, what is most important is that the sheet looks good. There is no set in stone placement guide.

A guide to what Chip wants would be great, and certainly speed up the release process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:09 pm 
FG Scorer

Ah ok then. Perhaps calling it a "bible" is a bit too strong, but calling it a guide would certainly be appropriate.

I'd hate to post something only to have Chip (or whomever) come back and say "That's NOT a rule!"

There was certainly a distinct "requirement vs option" for many of his comments, so perhaps it might be of benefit. I'd like someone of some authority to peruse it before it goes public- how might that be accomplished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Let me have a look. I have worked with Chp personally, so I guess I am the closest to an authority we have.

Send it to me. My email is murphyaa@cox.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:42 am 
FG Scorer

Will do, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:44 am 
Paper Model CINC

Having worked with Chip for a good may years now, I can safely state that there are not many hard and fast rules, as far as designing goes. there are a few--such as orientation on the page, use of comic sans font, no 'shark's teeth' tabs, etc. But--the FG format is a continually evolving thing. My first designs used an older look that didn't quite come up to the later standards. I found that the best thing to do was to just look at the last few new models and go for that feel. Regardless of how you do it though, there are going to be criticisms and changes. The artistic control and final look is going to be by Chip. Don't kill yourself trying to write a long set of guidlines--they'll probably be obsolete withing a short period of time. You already have seen that some of his comments are contradictory--things change over time, and his final goal is not just a model that looks and builds well, but also a page that is an artistic rendering--suitable for framing, if you will. There are lots of folks who buy these models with no intenet of ever building them, rather they want them for the pleasure of seeing the files, themselves. That's why, sometimes, your model's scale is off--the wings may be a slightly different scale than the fuselage for example--he feels the artistic rendering of the page is of equal or greater importance than historical accuracy. FG models were once described, not as scale models, but rather, paper sculptures representing a particual aircraft, building, or what have you.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 am 
FG Scorer

I'm not questioning a cardmodel overlord, but there are NUMEROUS "rules" if you will I've come across other than the FG standard for paper size. Yes, I agree that it is an evolving thing and every design submission is an individual work of art in the end, but I did find many repeated instances in Chip's replies that echoed some sort of a standard is expected on a few things.

And for a tissue paper newbie such as myself, not knowing ANYTHING about the process, it occurred to me that introductory materials for design submission is very much lacking.

Trust me, I'm not killing myself writing anything- they're all Chip's comments- he did the commenting, all I did was compile them, group them together under 6 major headings and made minor fixes for grammer or context.

Evolution, obsolescence, criticism and minor/major changes notwithstanding, there isn't anything outside of the recolouring tutorial as a starting point, and that's all I was trying to offer- a place to start for us tissue paper newbies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:15 pm 
Botbuster Master

if i had to design to advance my rank....i would be a tissue cutter forever...lol :lol: :lol:

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:36 am 
FG Scorer

Here it is. I appreciate Aaron taking the time to review and provide additional comments. This is NOT a tutorial, but rather a collection of comments Chip has made regarding the "do's and don'ts" for models being submitted to Fiddlers Green.

It is perhaps better to call these Chip's Guidelines for model submission, as they do (I think) help to convey what he is looking for and trying to achieve as the FG standard.

With maybe one or two exceptions, these are all Chip's comments, with minor edits I made for typos or context. Since they came from the PDF files of submitted designs, some comments were omitted because they had no context off the printed page (IE, "move this over here", etc).

I grouped his comments into 6 major categories, and then attempted to prioritize them within each category. I did this to provide more information for others who might wish to submit models to FG.

I hope it is helpful, and certainly seek commments/complaints/suggestions from others...

http://www.kohm.org/3310/FG/Fiddlers%20Green%20Submission%20Guide%20for%20Card%20Models.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:21 am 
Botbuster Master

MOCR....i will probably never design a model, but.......what you have done sure makes sense to me and besides it is interesting reading material....there had to be a lot of effort put into your work and it looks good....thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:46 am 
FG Scorer

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:25 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nie Job! It almost makes it seem easy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:09 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

possm_23 wrote:
...I will probably never design a model ...
I have to say, having designed several models and re-engineered portions of many more, that there are few satisfactions in life better than having a design succeed flawlessly when cut out and glued up, where the achievement exceeds mere realism in miniature but also includes ease of assembly, effortless alignment and minimum tedium, all the product of your own imagination and no one else's - all the more so when size or complexity makes the geometric challenge especially difficult. It's quite a high, believe me!

Mark Baird
Alameda CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:08 am 
Botbuster Master

one of my greatest satisfactions in life is to see one of my math students who has been struggling with a concept to finally have the light come on and see the expression on their face.......... :D ......to me very few things compare to that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:44 pm 
Possm,
Ain't it th' truth!!? The only thing I miss about teaching...well, some of my friends, too!
Lep