Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:13 pm 
Paper Model CINC

I import into Photoshop--so I don't know about using GIMP in this regard. I have used GIMP before, for other things and it's worked OK, although I prefer Photoshop. Photoshop accepts the .eps flies just fine. Have you tried importing into Inkscape?, or using a flie converter program to convert the .eps file into something more GIMP friendly, like .gif or .jpg?

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 pm 
FG Cutter

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your comments. I do see your point about the pics, but my recollections of the real thing still point to a higher than center mating point between engine and nacelle. more so than that, the engines seem to droop out of the nacelle, with far more engine curve on the bottom than the top. Again that photo is a bit deceptive since you see the top of the turbofan cowling, and not the nacelle itself, but that's what I recall.

A profile also brings out a bit more detail. found this one on Goleta Air & Space Museum - a neat personal airplane site:

My observations: first of all, I agree -- this is a very complex surface. Maybe too much for the humble cone, maybe not. To follow an earlier train of thought, the 95% solution would be a small cylinder suspended in a larger cylinder. the problem with this is detail -- namely too much of it. I can see this as nesting two cylinders, with a short steep side-laying conic section at the intake.

The problem as I see it is the model of the engine would become a fairly complex structure -- and we'd need 8 of them. I'm afraid that out of a set of 8, no 2 would look alike.

In my opinion, this is where artistry and accuracy need to diverge. The detail won't be perfect, but it will imply the subtlety of the shape -- by exaggerating some of the features. It's a cartoonist's notion, but in this case I think it applies.

When I look at the engine, I see a flaring about a 1/3 of the way down the engine. I see an expanding cylinder (a cone, perhaps?) from the intakes to this flaring point. I see the nacelle extend forward of the intake (but a flat-ish, curved-ish intake -- not flat, but not angled either).

Could this be a cone . . . I think so. looking closely at pictures (and it makes sense), the intake isn't much bigger than the core engine section, but because of the non-cone like shape, when a real cone with a matching opening size is used, it doesn't look right at all (I know -- I tried). if we go to two cones to capture the curve, we're back to juggling the complex shape. A smaller intake diameter looks much more convincing (I know -- I tried):

More Prototypes here.

Well, now that the prototypes are out for display, here's my take on them.

The newest prototype is very close. The 20 degree twist is too much. I'm thinking of cutting it in half. The most severe intake angle I've tried (22 degrees) was too much, but I've "OR"ed the flat and angled cones together. the shape is very nice (but still twisted too much).

Now that you know how I spent my weekend, and my personal effort is up to be torn to shreds, wadya think? :oops: :? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm 
FG Cutter

Rob,

That's what I get for being cheap.

ghostscript is a postscript converter, but it is long in the tooth and not particularly bulletproof. I was surprised to find out irfanview does support .eps and that for some gap in reasoning I haven't installed it yet. I'm fixing that now.

I took what I was getting and scaled it manually and they came out pretty good.

Inkscape does have me intrigued -- it's pretty close to what I was looking for initially. I'll have to check this one out . . .