Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:58 am 
FG 26# stock

I'm interested in building this model, but before purchase I wanted to be sure there was actually a fuselage frame in the plan. Does the plan tell what thickness of cardstock to use on various parts?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm mid build on this one right now (have been since March). There are no formers or frames for the fuselage. There is a wing box for support, but that's it. And I have to say, it's a bit tricky to get the fuselage shape correct. The location of the seam is right on the curved edge of the lower fuselage. In time though, I got it, and it looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:26 am 
FG 26# stock

Thanks willygoat. I tried a couple of models with rounded fuselages and have never been able to the the shape correct. Is there a trick to it? If it was just round it would not be that hard, but when they are elliptical its really tough for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:30 am 
FG Origami Master

What I do with most of my builds is make a former that is the shape of the fuselage. I cut it so it will have tabs on the side that are folded perpendicular to the former to give it more strength (sometimes laminating it to cereal boxes helps). I also cut a small flap in the center of the former that I can grab with tweezers. Then I take the former and push it down the inside of the fuselage till it is snug. If I am pleased with the shape and fit I glue it into place. This firms up the fuselage shape and keeps it from collapsing during the rest of the build. It is kind of a trial and error system, but it works for me. You can also push tissue paper between the former to fill the gap, but this is probably not necessary. On a large model like the Lanc, you will probably need a few formers, especially near where you join the wings to the fuselage.

After just looking at the plans, you have a multiple piece fuselage which would make the former placement easier.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 am 
FG 26# stock

Thanks Beard, question is, do the instructions include a cross section for any formers? If not, how would I determine what the actual shape should be?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

There is a cross section image on the first page, but it's not the same scale as the model. There is another cross section piece for the tail gunner spot on page 2.