Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
FG 90# stock

Hi all,
After a long time without designing or building much, I decided to come back to the sweet arms of papercraft designing what's probably my favourite all time plane: the Canadair CL-215, a very well known plane in my country of origin (Spain) as well as in most of the mediterranean countries for it's heavy duties against summer fires (Portugal, Italy, France, Croatia, Greece, Turkey...). It is also well known in the american continent as a water bomber in some US and Canada states.

Image Image Image Image

Currently this planes is built under Bombardier and the CL-215 model has been replaced by the improved CL-415 with turboprops instead of the classic radial Pratt & Whitney.
I would like to offer this model to Fiddlersgreen as my homage to our dear Chip.

So the first step has been to make all the 3D work:
Image Image

After going through Pepakura to unfold and prepare the model, I use Adobe Illusrator to start the design. First I am working in the fuselage, which was ok for a first attempt. The errors on the nose are due to poor construction work rather than wrong designing, fortunately.

Image Image Image

As you can see, the I started with the Large version and yes, it's pretty large! The fuselage is 37 cm. long and the wingspan is even more than that, problably more than half a meter.

I'll keep you updated, thanks for your interest!

Mauri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:22 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Woohoo! I can't wait for this one. It's kind of an ugly duckling, but it has saved so many lives and homes from fire. Great modelling subject.

On a side note, there used to be a show on here in the U.S. about transporting planes around the world. For the life of me, I can't remember the title now. Anywho, a couple of the episodes focused on a flight of two CL-215s being flown from Manitoba in Canada to Turkey. It was quite the epic journey to deliver such an important aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:25 am 
FG 90# stock

Hi,
I just realized this year marks the 50s anniversary of the CL-215. What a great coincidence! I will do my best to see the model released before the end of the year.

Best,
Mauri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:30 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

That would be a nice paint scheme for the model too. Your model has inspired a 215 bug in me. I've been flying one in my flight simulator a lot recently.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm 
FG 90# stock

Hi again,
Let me show you a new batch of pics of my progress with the model. Although the advance may not seem spectacular, I have corrected many mistakes, added decorative elements, design a temporary stand, reduced the model at 90% so it fits on the American standard paper size requested by FG (instead of the international DIN A-4 format I was using first), ect.

Speaking about stands, I had what I believe will be agreat idea: I will make the stand look like a water drop, as if the CL-215 was just emptying it's tanks over a fire. I will show you my progress on that in the near future...

In summary, the model is well in it's path to completition, with "only" the rest of the wings with the engines and the floats remaining to be added.

You will notice that there is in fact a design error in the frontal part of the wing to fuselage join area. It was not there in the previous 2 beta builds, so I belive what happened is that I misscalculated the radius of the curved part of the wing, and now I need to add an additional 0.5 cm to fix it.

I have to admit I am getting excited thinking about reaching the coloring phase. Patience! Let me post a video of the CL-215 in action to compensate for the waiting. It shows one of my favourite color schemes, that of the Newfoundland and Labrador fleet, in Canada.

http://youtu.be/-_ovBkOEp6o

See you soon!
Mauri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:58 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Looks like you are well on your way sir.

Thank you for the update, you are certainly moving along faster on your project than I am at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice! Can't wait to see this one completed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:07 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

This will be a sweet add to FG line up. What a beautiful model. I will follow this build and looking forward to downloading her. Very, very nice. wc