Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NEW MODEL NEED HELP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm 
FG 26# stock

Hi all
I started designing the stearman hamond V1 in Sketchup. I am new to sketchup and learning as i go.
i have manage to do the wing and tail boom, but the fuselage is beating me. anyone want to take a wack at it, i can use the help. take a look at pict any help or advice would be welcome. i can send the files in any format sketchup 6-8,blender, 3d studio, or what ever you like.

Attachments:
File comment: this is in sketchupall parts are made as components
v1 first try.jpg
v1 first try.jpg [ 191.51 KiB | Viewed 14601 times ]

Post subject: Re: NEW MODEL NEED HELP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

You're doing better than me on my first failed attempt to design in sketchup. I haven't really done much training though either. Hmmm. It sure is a neat looking little thing :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
FG 26# stock

Thanks Willygoat
I like the weird and rare planes. been playing with sketchup a couple months now. made a couple simpler planes, helped that i use autocad for work for years. but complex curves is where im having trouble. hard to teach an old dog new trick! here is a jpeg of unfolded parts so far still need to clean up more but going to biuld a test first. feel free to try it

Attachments:
v1wingboomtail.jpg
v1wingboomtail.jpg [ 67.76 KiB | Viewed 14595 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm 
FG 26# stock

i found this link on you tube, pretty cool for 1935. [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jp3_vGRLewc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 pm 
FG 26# stock

Update
I found a plug in for sketchup called Artisan that made it alot easyer to make the fuselage see pict.
now the problem is the fuselage has a lot of polygon and when i try to unfold in pepakura3 it makes a mess of the fuse. Anybody got any ideas what im doing wrong. Its about to unfold my brain!

Attachments:
hamond V1.jpg
hamond V1.jpg [ 178.27 KiB | Viewed 14560 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Like I said before, I have no skills in the design part. Have you ever heard of Waybe? It's a plugin for Sketchup meant just for unfolding paper models. It might work better than Pepakura.

http://www.waybe.ca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 pm 
FG 26# stock

yea willy i down loaded waybe to but cant get it to register and suport wont reply. tried the other unfolder on sketchup site and it installs in su8 but just locks it up when i try to unfold. im going to try porting it to blender and try that unfolder next dont like it though it doesnt show you what its doing,
until you export out.If that doesnt work. May start over on fuse and make it simpler thats the only part that seems to be confused on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:36 pm 
FG 26# stock

update again
finally got the fuselage done where all parts will unfold correctly. here is a pict of 3d render. the color was just so i could see it on the unfolded parts, makes it easyer to see what goes where. Now to start test build. then paint, wheels,prop and trim.

Attachments:
v1 composite4.jpg
v1 composite4.jpg [ 61.13 KiB | Viewed 14528 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:38 pm 
FG 26# stock

Hi all Happy Thanksgiving
Finished the test build and went together real easy. built in very large scale so will scale down easy.
just need to work on landing gear and paint it better ie rivets its all metal, and numbers, engine trim and stuff. any painters out there want to give it a try i'm not that good with the painting.
here are some picts, i put a couple FG models in large and regular to see the scale. Its pretty big
took it outside before i put the wheels on and flew it across the yard with just a couple pennys in the nose. Makes me think it might work good for small RC but thats beyond my skills "crash and burn thats me".
Anyone willing to help with painting or just wants to try a test build letme know. DJ

Attachments:
3.gif
3.gif [ 164 KiB | Viewed 14476 times ]
2.gif
2.gif [ 157.96 KiB | Viewed 14476 times ]
11.gif
11.gif [ 160.28 KiB | Viewed 14476 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Looks pretty good! It is rewarding to see something you design come together. The fact that it flies is a great addition. Was that planned from the start?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:08 am 
FG 26# stock

Thanks Willy
i didnt plan for it to fly. but the large scale i built the test in just looked like it would so i took a chance and chunck it out the back door. and then had to beg my wife into going out there and get. Cause im in a wheel chair and didnt think it take off accross the yard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 am 
FG Origami Master

Congratulations, nice little plane. Its a hoot that it flies well, kinda desirable unintended consequences. I've always wondered what the flyability of these models are, they are probably light enough and stout enough, you just have to be careful withe wings to keep them flat enough.

Congrats again, great job.
Beard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:58 am 
FG 26# stock

Thanks beard nice chatten with ya last nite.
your rite about the wings couple extra layers of card stock in bottoms helps keep em flat.
and getting the balance rite with nose weight,got lucky there. Makes me think the real one must have
been very stable. Dave