Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

I'm looking for a good glider model. Does anyone know of something that already exists or is in process?

There are two listed on FG website (the ASW-20 Sailplane and the G103 Grob Glider), but these both show "MODEL NOT YET AVAILABLE". Either of these would be perfect for what I'd like to do.

Anyone know when these might be available?

Here's my story. My son is currently a glider instructor pilot at the Air Force Academy in Colorado. He'll be graduating this year in May, and I'd like to make him a small panorama momento with a Piper cub tow plane on the runway (or in the air) with the glider in tow. The Air Force Academy cadets train in the TG-16A (DG-1001 Club made by DG Flugzeugbau), so I'd love to have a model of that, but both the ASW-20 and G103 appear similar to the TG-16A (except for USAFA paint scheme), so I think either would be adequate for my purposes.

I would love to hear from anyone who might know of a model that would fit this need.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I can't find any paper model of the type of glider you son flies. Still looking though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 pm 
FG 26# stock

Welcome to the forum. if you can get me some good three veiw picts and specs on the glider. I will
try and draw it in sketch up and unfold the 3d model for ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Here are two models I found that are close-ish. Both are by Marian Aldenhovel, who designs a superb model of the Beachcraft Starship a while back. These models are free from the designer, so no worries. The page is in German, but just click the link that has "PDF" in it right below the picture of the glider.

ASK 21 http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/modelle/ASK-21.html (This is a two-seater)
Rolladen Schneider LS8 http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/modelle/LS8.html (single-seater)
ASW 24 http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/modelle/ASW24.html (single-seater)

The model directions are in German as well, but the diagrams are pretty solid, and he numbers his parts well. All would require some recolor work to resemble the aircraft used at the Academy as these are all in German markings.

Hope they are a tiny bit helpful. If not, you have some links to a few nice models.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:36 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Hey willygoat, those are some fantastic models! Great find! The ASK 21 looks like it will do the trick nicely. Now to work on changing the markings. Any suggestions there?

(djracer222! Thanks for your welcome and for your offer!)

I will definitely post some pics of the finished product. Stay tuned…

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 am 
FG Origami Master

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are not changing the background color, put a same colored panel over the old marking which will make it disappear. Then take the new marking and place it on the panel or where ever. The last step assumes that the new marking has a transparent background, if it doesn't you will need to trace around the image to remove the background before you use it. If you are changing the whole color scheme (like from white to camo) it gets a lot more involved.

Beard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

It works best to use some graphics programs for the computer like Photoshop, MS Paint, or GIMP. I've done a lot of work in an old version of Photoshop, but use GIMP on my new computer. It's free, and does the same basic functions I need from Photoshop.

Then, do what Beard suggested.

BTW, which marking are you going for? There are two versions that I've found. One is the plain white with the blue lightning bolt. The other is a yellow main color with a white, grey and blue nose.

Attachments:
4f7c76bbc7c56.image.jpg
4f7c76bbc7c56.image.jpg [ 68.91 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]
IMAGE_189.jpg
IMAGE_189.jpg [ 17.67 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Hmm. Never mind. The yellow one is a different model of glider.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Thanks again willy. The white with blue lightning bolt is what I'm after. I downloaded GIMP at your suggestion and will give it a try.

djracer, thanks again for your offer to do some modeling. Take a look at the 3-view layout of the DG-1001 at http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/3s-dg-1000.pdf. The TG-16A is the 18m wingspan version.

I also found a downloadable 3D model of the DG-1001 (20m version) at http://www.3dvia.com/models/56EE6C4C5E7 ... er-dg-1000. The wingtips will need to be modified to match the TG-16A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

There is something about gliders just makes the mind wonder. Or at least it does for mine. So clean and elegant. When I get a chance to go down to the ocean I really enjoy watching the large wing sea birds as the glide just feet about the waves without flapping the wings. So clean and elegant like a man made glider. One day I tell my self I have to build one. I have a plastic one a friend gave me. It needs RV equipment but I know nothing of this sport. I wish I did but learning things is becoming harder and harder. As a man once said, "a man has got to know his limitation, and live with in those limitations. For it is when he comes beyond those limitation he will get his ass in trouble." I might have added something to the saying but these are words I try to live by. Back to gliders, they are wonderful to see. wc