Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Join us this Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:11 am 
FG Tissue Paper

TThis Saturday, July 23rd, Fiddlers Green is sponsoring several display tables at the Ninth Annual International Paper Modelers Convention where I'll be showing my latest model, the Fokker T-2 cross-country pioneer and John Dell will be showing his in-progress Boeing Model 299. I've seen photos of the 299 and she looks like a real beauty. We're being joined this year by John Glessner who will be showing a dozen or so of his 1/72 scale WW1 and WW2 fighters.

If you are in the Washington, DC area (Herndon, VA to be exact), or are traveling through, please stop by and say hello (admission is free). If you are on FG's mailing list you already know that Chip has arranged a special gift for anyone who stops by the FG tables.

Here is a URL for more information: http://perceptions-web-designers.com/IPM2005/index.html

You're probably never going to see more paper/card modelers in one place anywhere or anytime else (at least on this side of the Atlantic)!

There's just nothing like "talking shop" with other modelers in person instead of from behind your keyboad. :wink:

Hope to see you there!
Chauncy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:30 pm 
FG Origami Master

.(insert whine) But I live in Texas!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:40 am 
Paper Model CINC

--uh--sarge, you're in the airforce--don't they have planes? I've caught a lot of space A hops around the country over the years.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:17 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

At least you are in Texas...I'm not even in the USA! D.C. is a looong way from Winnipeg. Why cant they have conventions closer to the center of the continent?

Some cheese to go along with that whine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:35 am 
Paper Model CINC

The real reason the convention is located where it is--is that right next door is the Smithsonian Institutes Air and Space museum. Even though thee are card models of everything from basilicas to animals--most card modelers are total aviation addicts. By holding the convention there--they can run over there and get an airplane fix before going back to the cold grim world of modeling. It would be nice if it ws centrally located--but there's no excitement in a place like Wichita, or Fargo (that would be closer to the center of the continent--but then there'd be some folks from places like Oz or Thailand, who'd want it closer to them as well (Guam?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:33 pm 
FG 26# stock

.There's the Museum of Flight in Seattle... :wink:

Actually, I've worked with the museum before on some of their displays and it's possible they'd be open to hosting a paper model display of some sort. Any modelers in the Seattle area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

.Don't forget the Pima Air & space museum here in Arizona, plus the mothball yards and boneyards in Tuscon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:45 am 
Paper Model CINC

---but neither Arizona nor Seatle is centrally located in respect to the Norht American continenet. Most cities of any size these days, have some sort of air museum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:34 am 
FG Tissue Paper

.The convention was held in ìMiddle Americaî for a few years. A complaint heard from folks flying in from overseas was that it was not easy to fly into Dayton. No matter where you would have it, some folks complain.

Air museums have little to do with were the conventions are held, although as mentioned, they donít hurt either. :wink:

It all comes down to having "boots on the ground." The DC area has a group of dedicated guys who are willing to do the necessary leg work to pull it all off.

Chauncy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 am 
FG Origami Master

.I just saw the pictures posted in the developer's "location," and I'm thinking very seriously on convincing the AF to reassign me much closer to the DC area. Langley AFB VA suddenly has more appeal.

A.G. Smith and John Dell hanging out in the same room? Too cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:23 pm 
FG Origami Master

Chauncy wrote:
No matter where you would have it, some folks complain.

What we need are some smaller local conventions. That way, If you live in CA, you don't have to travell to DC. (I live in NY, but it's still a long trip.)

----------
Painter of Airwolf
Current project: A-7 Corsair II Desert Storm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:51 pm 
FG 26# stock

modelincard wrote:
Chauncy wrote:
No matter where you would have it, some folks complain.

What we need are some smaller local conventions. That way, If you live in CA, you don't have to travell to DC. (I live in NY, but it's still a long trip.)

That's what I was thinking. Seattle is way up in the corner. A central site is obviously best for most, but it would be fun to have some local stuff once in a while.