Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fiddler's Green 3.0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:17 am 
FG Origami Master

Greetings fellow Greenies!

I have been working with Chip a little bit putting some stuff together to expand into more marketing options for Fiddler's Green. The lifetimers have already received a message from Chip discussing this (and a whole lot more), and now I want to pose some questions to everyone.

Fiddler's Green, as it stands today, is at the tail end of "version 2.0." The models are greatly improved, there's a steady stable of designers, and the site is more popular than it's ever been. That's only the tip of the iceberg, as we're not even warmed up yet. Chip, his staff, and many of the designers have been working hard getting ready for a new generation of Fiddler's Green. While none of us can fathom a world without Chip, he is (as usual) thinking of the site and the modeling community ahead of his own interests. Hence, FG World HQ is moving, and the business-end has actually started working as a business (for the last couple years, actually).

I am putting together some marketing proposals. I have a LOT of stuff already written up, but before I submit it to Chip, I want to compare it to what I see. I read the forums almost every day, and like a few of the moderators I've seen EVERY post ever made. Ugh! Some of y'all can't type! Anyway, as a fellow addict, I have my own perceptions of our community, paper modelers, and aircraft enthusiasts. The rub is that they are not exactly the same thing, and we're a bit of a tight sub-market. We need out of that. Here's where you can help.

The next post I make to this topic is a questionnaire. I respectfully request that everyone who reads this post please take a moment to copy it off to a document, answer it, and email it back to me. While this will help ensure that I finish my BS Management degree with a 4.0, it also comes directly back to you, because my project in Marketing is us...Fiddler's Green. I am not getting paid for this because I don't feel it's fair at this point to ask for something I'm not entitled to...yet. I hope that when my active duty commitment is over that I can participate with FG on a more full-time basis.

Until then, I'll do everything I can when I can, because this "place" is in my heart, my fingers, and the blood on my cutting board because you should not watch "Dogfights" on the History Channel while trying to cut out the small pieces of the John Dell designed B-24. Uh uh. Not safe y'all! So please, when you see it (I'm tweaking it through Chapter 22), please help me out. This is not just for the future of FG, but for everyone who loves the aircraft that we honor here.

Thanks all!

Edward Merica, MSgt, USAF
Fiddler's Green Ombudsman (self-appointed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:02 pm 
FG Origami Master

Sarge, I was a business student once, too--count me in for backup.

Spam kills to date: Quit counting at 22
DO NOT SPAM IN MY MODERATED FORUMS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not a business student, don't plan on being one, and I don't play one on TV, but I'll back you up, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:28 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks fellas. Chip has the survey now and should be sending it out soon. It's funny that what I'm working on for the class (I've got a perfect score so far) has great benefit for FG, and FG is helping me ace the class!

I hope no one's brain melts from it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:46 am 
FG Origami Master

All,

Heres' the survey I sent to Chip. He's going to shrink it down before sending it out, but anyone who'd like to complete the whole thing and email it to me is more than welcome to. While I'm using the surveys to cement a perfect 100% for the course, the answers I get from y'all I hope to be able to use in the future. Thank you all very much who take the time to copy and paste this into a document, highlight or type your answers, and send it to me using the email provided at the end.

I might turn you into my beta-builders (if I ever finish the engine intakes on the T-37)!

Thanks!!

Ed

Fiddler’s Green Surveys

PAPER MODELING

1. I find more enjoyment in paper modeling than in plastic/resin models.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
C) Neither agree nor disagree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

2. I like the fact that I can customize paper models to the level of my skill or desire to.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

3. I find paper modeling to be more cost and time efficient than plastic modeling.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

4. It is easier to build a paper model than a plastic model.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

5. I am better at paper modeling than I am at plastic/resin modeling.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

6. My favorite part of paper modeling is _____.

7. My least favorite part of paper modeling is _____.

AIRPOWER & AIRCRAFT HISTORY

1. I consider myself an aircraft enthusiast.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

2. I am fascinated by historic (40+ year-old) aircraft.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

3. I like to visit aircraft and flight museums.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

4. I contribute to private aircraft and flight museums.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

5. I have purchased books on aircraft and the history of powered flight for my own enjoyment.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

6. I feel there is value in the preservation, restoration and display of historic aircraft.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

7. The most important thing about preserving and educating the public about historic aircraft is _____.

FIDDLER’S GREEN PAPER MODELS

1. I build Fiddler’s Green paper models because they are:
A) Quality models (historically accurate)
B) Easy to build
C) A good value for the cost
D) Good clean family fun
E) None of the above _____. (please explain)

2. I find Fiddler’s Green paper models to be quality, historically accurate models.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

3. I prefer that a model be historically accurate rather than a reasonable artistic representation of the item I am modeling.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

4. I feel that building Fiddler’s Green paper models is challenging enough to satisfy my skill level.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

5. I feel that Fiddler’s Green paper models do not challenge my current skill level (too easy).
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

6. I feel that Fiddler’s Green paper models are more difficult to build than my current skill level (too hard).
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

7. I feel that Fiddler’s Green paper models are worth the overall value for the money (price paid).
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

8. I feel that Fiddler’s Green paper models are a much greater value (overall price) than just their financial worth.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

9. I feel that building and sharing Fiddler’s Green paper models is an activity worth sharing with my family and the community in general.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

10. I build Fiddler’s Green paper models because ______.

11. My most favorite aspect of Fiddler’s Green paper models is ______.

12. My least favorite aspect of Fiddler’s Green paper models is ______.

WWW.FIDDLERSGREEN.NET

1. I think that www.fiddlersgreen.net is an excellent Internet site.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

2. I trust the Fiddler’s Green team to keep my personal and financial data secure.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

3. I think that www.fiddlersgreen.net is an easy-to-navigate Internet site.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

4. I prefer accessing models through the My Models portal on www.fiddlersgreen.net.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

5. It is easy to access models through the My Models portal on www.fiddlersgreen.net.
A) Strongly agree
B) Moderately agree
D) Moderately disagree
E) Strongly disagree

6. I like that I can get “Magic Keysâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 pm 
FG Origami Master

Hi, Sarge,

I started to write this sometime back, but waited until Chip released the URLs for the revised S-38 and S-39.

Since he has had to post URLs, I don't think we're ready for FG-3, since these are both supposed to be available through the "My Models" page, since both were purchased with my Magic Key (and others, too). I know that all the folders are screwed up, but shouldn't they be fixed before expanding marketing. I will admit that I was a teacher, not a businessman, but I believe the saying here should be:

"If it's broke, fix it."

Don't paint the car in racing colors until the engine runs!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 am 
FG Origami Master

blueeyedbear wrote:
... I don't think we're ready for FG-3, since these are both supposed to be available through the "My Models" page, since both were purchased with my Magic Key (and others, too). I know that all the folders are screwed up, but shouldn't they be fixed before expanding marketing. I will admit that I was a teacher, not a businessman, but I believe the saying here should be:

"If it's broke, fix it."

Don't paint the car in racing colors until the engine runs!

Bob,

I heartily agree with you that if something is broken it should be fixed. Fortunately for all of us, there is a pit crew on that right now. However, how long is this car gonna stay in the race with current sponsorship? We can also have the body built and painted, and just bolt it on as soon as the engine's tuned...

Hold on, I'm getting too NASCAR.

What I am working on is part Marketing course (finishing my BS degree with FG as my project topic), and part "I really want to see FG last longer than the next couple of years." To take FG to version 3.0, I agree that the behind the scenes stuff has to work, but we have to know how to position ourselves to bring the right kind of modeling and aircraft enthusiast to the site.

Our demographic data alone is a nightmare, because we are as different a group as can be. I can say that we tend toward being male, in our 30's to 50's, speak English, and lean toward a paler complexion, but those numbers are SLIM. We have members of differering nationalities with totally different occupations and incomes, so defining a target market and thus a marketing mix toward that is weak.

This isn't something that gets solved overnight, but in order to get it solved, we have to start. Hence, the above posts. If I can't trust the MOUNTAINS of data that are out there for hobbyists, then I can survey the existing group and ask for help.

So.... HELP!!

I'm finishing my second paper, with my final next week. While I expect to get an A, I still haven't solved my initial question, but I am a lot closer. So, maybe the engine isn't quite there yet, but we know what color she is.

She's green.

Post subject: I will say
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 am 
FG Cutter

I read what you have said and will answer what I think. I was a manager for a few different companies over the years, X Navy AO 2, old white guy lol. I am retired now. If you want to see what works and what does not look at other hobbies.

Plastic models for one. Have you gone to a hobby shop of late? Can you find a hobby shop near you? Most are gone. Why .. I think the times have changed in regard to who has the time and money to do a hobby. The prices on plastic are much increased. That cuts some out. Ones like old white guys who live on a budget.

Odd that the very ones who would have kept them going are cut out of the loop. You do not see many kids at hobby shops, Last I went to one the only kid there was the guy running the register. I think kids today do not want any thing that takes more then 5 min. to do. So I doubt you will attract many kids to paper.

I have 8 grand kids and they love when Pappy makes them a FG airplane. But try sitting down with them to show them how and they are gone, I got into this hobby when our youngest son John passed away at 15, to help take my mind off of things, as it is cheap compared to other hobbies and this old white guy has to live on a budget.

Guess what I am trying to tell you is do not cut off your nose to spite your face. I wish you great luck on what you are trying to do. Just don't get the cart before the horse.

Remember growing old is sometimes mandatory growing up is optional.