Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:47 am 
FG 90# stock

Having been a magic keys subscriber for many years, I find myself especially frustrated this year that the aircraft model releases have been few and far between. The last release was nearly four months ago and having purchased my keys in July, I now see that I have not benefited from any new releases of aircraft models since that purchase. Granted I received the benefit of some store credit to purchase models that had long gone missing from my folder, and maybe a handful of models have been 'updated', but other than that there has been little activity. I love the storybook houses that are currently in development, but they are not the reason that I originally subscribed to FG.

My suggestion for the Fiddler's Green website would be for it to get back to what it once did so well; releasing a new aircraft model every month or two. I look over the models in development page every so often dreaming of the day when the A-10, or F-104, or the SR-71 will be released. Maybe this is no longer possible or realistic given the economics of running the website, but as a Magic Keys subscriber for many years, I can only hope that one day it will indeed be possible. I suspect my suggestion will be met with some discord, but I feel that it is necessary for someone to come out and say what has become painfully obvious...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:59 am 
FG Origami Master

Exactly.

Don't Squat with yer spurs on.....its gonna hurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm 
FG Cutter

I have to say I agree.

I love both the spirit and content FG! I've purchased a handful of CDs over the years and when the whole library collection went up for sale a few years back (in order to raise capital), I didn't bat an eyelash. I'm not a huge spender here, but I've found it well worth the cost!

That being said, when the latest offer of Magic Keys came out, I had a hard time getting on board. I see MKs as a vote of confidence for FG. If I buy a key, I've put my faith in FG that:

1. over the next year they'll release more nifty neat enjoyable models
2. I'll value those models more than the cost of the key
3. The models made will be appealing enough to keep FG afloat for yet another year

Chip, et al., the last thing I want to do is discourage y'all, but I'm having trouble giving you my vote. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 pm 
FG Folder

Yes please! ever since the 60yr free my models folder came out, I bought Keys. I have not received one new release in my folder. I did get the updated phantom which was great and the story book houses... I just don't get those things.. not my cup of tea. AIRPLANES PLEASE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Hopefully before too long I'll be able to get back into the loop. Chip and I had a bit of a falling out, and with the move to Missouri, I had to leave my 70 lb laser printer behind. I'm trying to find a job, working on borrowing a friends printer for now, and I gotta figure out how to get back in with Chip, so I can get back into pumping out more planes.

Just to whet your appetites, and to prove I'm still breathing, here's a sample of a few birds I'm working on:

Bede BD5J Microjet

Rutan Quickie

Recently finished: Moving and getting set up
In progress: Zepellin Staaken (self design)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Sweet!

Now, I may have an advantage in that I have bought the complete set of FG aircraft, but when I am feeling the urge to build and there are no new models I like to browse through the variant folders for the already published ones. I'm still finding repaints I never knew about. Just today I found the all white NACA version of the Bell X-1 sitting in the versions folder; it came as a complete surprise!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:37 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm excited Murph. I really hope you do that Quickie. I love the looks of it. Rutan sure knows how to design. Of course, the micro plane (forgot the name) would be awesome too. You could even get into military variants of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Yep. And if I make it to my usual standard, I might be able to get it to the coveted single digit scale; 1:9 or larger. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Woohoo! That'll show those braille scalers whos da boss! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That's right. Lets team up and make a GIANT scale team. Hehehe. Lep and Bob can fend for themselves. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:25 pm 
FG 90# stock

Azguy wrote:
Hopefully before too long I'll be able to get back into the loop. Chip and I had a bit of a falling out, and with the move to Missouri, I had to leave my 70 lb laser printer behind. I'm trying to find a job, working on borrowing a friends printer for now, and I gotta figure out how to get back in with Chip, so I can get back into pumping out more planes.

So if you're out of the loop currently, is anyone in the loop and working on aircraft???

It seems like the emphasis on aircraft for the site has taken a back seat to the silly story book houses....

And as someone else stated, not much else has gone on since the folders got converted to the new format. Magic keys aren't so magic anymore and no aircraft in nearly five months..So I guess the $19.95 some of us paid for keys this year went to server maintenance? Novel concept...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:59 am 
Paper Model CINC

willygoat wrote:
That's right. Lets team up and make a GIANT scale team. Hehehe. Lep and Bob can fend for themselves. :twisted:

ONE OF BOB'S BRAILLE SCALE: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Admin

ngwithrsd wrote:
So if you're out of the loop currently, is anyone in the loop and working on aircraft???

It seems like the emphasis on aircraft for the site has taken a back seat to the silly story book houses....

And as someone else stated, not much else has gone on since the folders got converted to the new format. Magic keys aren't so magic anymore and no aircraft in nearly five months..So I guess the $19.95 some of us paid for keys this year went to server maintenance? Novel concept...

It also depends on Chip's designers. I can put out a model in a few weeks if I really focus on it. Others might not be able too. But, I do know Chip doesn't do all the work to create a webpage for a model if there isn't one being actively designed.

I'd advise just having some patience. The dryspell will end soon hopefully

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 am 
FG 90# stock

Azguy wrote:
It also depends on Chip's designers. I can put out a model in a few weeks if I really focus on it. Others might not be able too. But, I do know Chip doesn't do all the work to create a webpage for a model if there isn't one being actively designed.

I'd advise just having some patience. The dryspell will end soon hopefully

Us Magic Keys folks really don't have much of a choice do we? Mine run out the middle of next year and depending on what happens within the next few months I will have to really consider whether or not it is worth it anymore....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 pm 
Botbuster Master

I dont think "silly" was a great choice of words. Chip has worked hard to just to keep things going...patience,patience, patience.

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!