Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Repaint Request
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 pm 
FG Folder

Hi everyone;

I have been gone for awhile now; been working on other projects; but I have a repaint request, if someone is willing to help.

I am currently restoring my Mom and Dad's 1995 Ford Taurus wagon, which is a second generation Taurus. I have found two Matchbox models of the first generation Taurus/Sable, and kitbashed two diecast cars to make a third generation Taurus wagon. One of the Matchbox Taurus was scatched up; so I repainted it to match my wagon:

But then, I found a paper model of a second generation (1992) Ford Taurus wagon here:

http://www.daytona-mag.com/papercraft/index.html

Would someone mind repainting it the light blue of my wagon for me? Here is a picture of it:

If someone is willing to help, and needs more pictures, just let me know. Thank you in advance.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

Post subject: Re: Repaint Request
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
FG Folder

And here is a "paint chip" if anyone is willing to help. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
paintchip.JPG
paintchip.JPG [ 1.27 KiB | Viewed 15769 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Do the tail lights on your car match the one on the model? The model's appear to be custom. It has been a while since I've seen a '92 Taurus though.

if you're not in a huge rush, I can give it a whack. I just got my wife's old PC set up and running again so I have Photoshop at my beckon call.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:18 pm 
FG Folder

willygoat wrote:
Do the tail lights on your car match the one on the model? The model's appear to be custom. It has been a while since I've seen a '92 Taurus though.

if you're not in a huge rush, I can give it a whack. I just got my wife's old PC set up and running again so I have Photoshop at my beckon call.

No, I am not in a rush at all; thank you very much.

It has been customized slightly. The tail lights are stock, as are the headlight. What is not stock is:

[*]The wheels, but I have those, see attached
[*]The license plate was moved down from the tailgate to the rear bumper
[*]The rear door handles were removed
[*]The Ford "belly button" was removed from front, and the logo from the back; see attached.
[*]The black tread is missing from on top of the rear bumper.

I did find instructions in this wonderful forum on how you can copy an image out of a .pdf file and paste it into a paint program. I was able to do that, and am trying to do it myself. But those of you who are experienced at this may be able to do a better job.

It occurred to me that if I put the finished paper model on the dashboard, the sun will fade it, and the mosture would ruin it. So, I am nixing that idea.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Attachment:
Wagon Rear.jpg
Wagon Rear.jpg [ 157.71 KiB | Viewed 15723 times ]
Attachment:
Front.jpg
Front.jpg [ 85.98 KiB | Viewed 15723 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:15 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Ive got spring break after next week. I'll see if I can get it done in a couple of hours. Having that paint chip will be nice. Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:36 pm 
FG Folder

I roughly colored the Taurus paper model to match mine, and changed the hubcaps to match mine as well. I then did a quick and dirty build with regular paper to see how it came out; it was indeed tedious at 1:64 scale, but I did it; even the rear view mirrors:

My build had some flaws in it - the sides were twisted and the hood is too high at the windshield end for starters - but aside from looking a little narrow, the model itself is amazing.

I salute all of you paper engineers out there; it never ceases to amaze me how something with complex curves like a car or airplane can be made out of a flat sheet of paper.

I have attached the hubcap graphic and the Ford logo in case you wanted to use them.

Attachments:
FORDLO~1.jpg
FORDLO~1.jpg [ 22.57 KiB | Viewed 15690 times ]
HUBCAP.jpg
HUBCAP.jpg [ 29.04 KiB | Viewed 15690 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That should help quite a bit. I thin once I get through this Wednesday I should have more time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 pm 
FG Folder

Thanks for the offer to help. I was able to finish repainting it on my own; now I just have to sharpen my building skills a little more. Thanks again.

Attachments:
Photo03241504.jpg
Photo03241504.jpg [ 250.48 KiB | Viewed 15590 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

That turned out great! I got a bit of it done, but I think yours is just as good I as would have done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 pm 
FG Folder

Greetings, everyone;

Did you miss out on your 2011 National Lampoon Christmas Vacation "Griswold Family Truckster"? Or maybe you wanted one for your Christmas Village, dashboard, or model railroad layout?

Well, don't pout or cry. Instead, click on the link below, and download it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/joditk

It is a paper model of the Griswold Family Truckster, in .pdf format! It

is based on an original 1992 Ford Taurus paper model by Daytona magazine; available online at:

http://www.daytona-mag.com/papercraft/index.html

The instructions are the same; the only difference is that I replaced the mag wheels with stock Taurus wheels, so no knockoff hubs are needed.

Select which scale you wish to build; then print out the pages for that scale on either glossy brochure paper (recommended; make sure it is inkjet paper for inkjet printers, or laser paper for laser printers) or cardstock. Cut the parts out, then fold and glue as shown; white glue works well.

I am making mine as I type this. I am not worried about how it will turn out because I have already built it twice; but as the Blue Goose above.

For the tree, use a pine tree that goes with Christmas villages or model railroad layouts; try to find one the length of your finished model. (Walmart had the 4" tree below for $0.75, and a 6" tree for $1.00.) Reduce the diameter to the width of your model’s roof; either by trimming, tying it, or smashing it (or all three); then bend it to drape over your finished model. Keep the base and trunk of it for your "roots", and attach it to your finished model with tan thread or cord. The following tree heights are recommended for each of the following scales:

Scale Height (inches)
1/87 3
1/64 4
1/48 6
1/25 12

The finished tree should look like this (a four inch tree is shown on a 1/64 scale Matchbox model of a Taurus/Sable wagon):

Add the finished model to your layout, Christmas village, or the dashboard of your Griswold Family Truckster, or attach another cord or thread to hang it from your Christmas tree.

This is a free model, with my best wishes for the Christmas season; distribute as you see fit. Thank you Fiddler's Green for the wonderful paper models, encourage, and help. Merry Christmas from my family and the Blue Goose!

-James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am 
FG Folder

My own completed models in 1/64 and 1/87 scale. The 1/64 scale version will go in the decorations box for next year; the 1/87 version will be part of our HO scale model layout.

These are build no. 4 and 5 of this particular paper model (no. 2 is shown above); and I finally got it spot on. The clamshell front doors on the Taurus overlap the windshield; once I modeled this correctly, the windshield came out correctly. The nose contours are correct, and the width of the body is correct. I was even able to get the rear view mirrors on the 1/87 scale version.

-James