Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:43 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Up til now I have been coloring the edges of my models has been done with Crayola pencils and Sharpie pens. This has been ok until now. So I'm asking for hints and ideas about water color set and other kinds of paint sets. Is there one manufacturing leader better then another that most of you can agree on. I'm not any kind of a artist but I'm talking about touching up for the most part for right now. That might change. Is there one paint better as in reacting with the paper.
Along on the subject of coloring models, what about setting up a printer? Are there hints on the best way to get the most out of your printer so the model pops out at you? You guys are the pros in my book, so I come to oyu. Thank you guys and gals for your input., wc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:56 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I'm a big fan of the Prismacolor water color pencils. They're a bit pricey ($22 for 12pk) but they are smooth writing, and you can mix the shavings with water to paint the edges if you need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thanks for the tip Willy. I never thought of water color pencils before. How long to they last you before you need to resupply? I Google them and found a few different sets. This something I will have to look into. The color is solid like paint? Thanks for the input on this. wc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I've had my set of 12 for almost 3 years now, and the only one that's even close to needing replacement is the back. If you use light pressure and go over the edges carefully, it looks smooth like a marker, but obviously no bleeding. I've only tried to "paint" with the shavings once. It turned out pretty nice. Just can't use a lot of water (for obvious reasons) and you need a really fine brush.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

A buddy of mine said he used water based acrylics on a Trout he just did.. He said he gets good results with them. I like the idea of the pencils and the fact you have two different ways of using them. Any opinions about water based acrylics? He's more of a artist then I could ever be. He just finished a Trout. I don't know where he got the model but I think it's more of a plastic kit then a paper model but a model is a model. It looks good enough to eat. wc

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

The only real problems I can think of for acrylics are that it tends to be thicker, so you'd probably have to thin it out to get it to not clump on the edge of the paper (means more water, chance for warping), and it would take a lot longer to dry and set. If done properly, it could look very nice I'm sure. I think Bomarc used ModelMaster enamels on his PBJ Mitchell model (@ PM.com). He was able to match coloring with the ink very well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 pm 
FG Origami Master

For water based acrylics you can go to a shop that sells tole painting supplies. Jo Sonja has a very extensive line of colors (which you can mix to your desired color). Remember you don't have to cover it on the first pass, you can always go back and repaint it. Also once the first pass has dried it will probably stop any warpage (doesn't look like a real word, lol) because the edge is sealed. I would start out with colors you think you will use the most, and of course the primaries (red, blue, yellow, with white and black thrown in for tinting), then experiment on stuff to see how it reacts. Don't mix to much, it will only take drops, also it will probably dry darker than it is when you mix it.

Another thing to remember, use a light touch, those little artist brushes will spread like crazy if you push on them.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

A lot of great information there. A lot to think over. I think the first step will be the water color pencils and try mixing there first. I’m hoping for this weekend. I have to take baby steps at first. This is all new to me when it comes to mixing. The idea of using them as pencils or as a paint sounds like a great way to go. I have never done any model painting at all. The Crayola pencils have worked out fine up till now for coloring the edges but when it comes to larger sections of a model I need something else. Thank you for the great input. One of the reasons I love this forum and the people here. I also enjoy PM too for the same reasons. Thank you guys. wc

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 pm 
FG Origami Master

Just an aside, I read in some forum somewhere that a guy (unnamed, cause I forget) just colored the edges with a standard graphite pencil. The edges take it fine and it covers the white. I use that method on oddball edges, like lozenge camouflage, seems to work well.

Beard

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I found the Prismacolor water color pencils. Only problem there are a lot of different set and not being any sort of a artist I had no idea which set to bu. I saw one set which was huge but it was $249.00. They had 3 different 24 pencile sets one of which was $49.00. Once again I had no idea what the difference was so I didn't pick up any of them. Each pencil was $2.00 and up. Guessing by that a set of 12 would set me back $24.00 and still I had no idea what the difference was between this red or that red. Can you shed any light on this for me Willy? wc

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Here's what I've got. If you shop on Amazon, this is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Prismacol ... or+pencils

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Coach ever so much. I was freaking out when I saw all those different sets and the cost was nuts but I guess if I was a artist I queses this is s god as it gets and what the hell to over $200.00 bucks. I think you have to be real good at what your doing to need those sets huh? Thank you. You once again have saved my butt. wc

PS- May 16th- Paint pencils have been ordered and will be ere o Friday. Can't wait. Thanks again Coach. wc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Coach I owe you a whole bunch of what ever floats your boat. You put me on to the Prismacolor pencils and I wanted to get back to you and let you know they are working out. WOW just can't cover this one. I'm coloring the inside of the OMS engines exhaust black. First I used a black pencil from my Crayola set and wasn't to taken by it. Next I use a Sharpie fine point but the black bleed through to the other side. So next I tried Prismaclor pencil and what a difference. My wife bought me a 36 pencil set and I try not to use them unless I need to. Those are my best pencils and do cost a bit but well worth it. Thank you for putting me on to theses pencils. Next time I go back to the Craft Store I will by a couple of blacks and other colors I seem to use the most of. These things are the bomb. Thanks Coach. wc

One on the right is the Prismacolor pencil. This was colored after I built the part. It will work much better coloring first and then glue into a cone. Thanks again. wc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Looking good. I had experimented a lot with other coloring things as well. For me, the Prismacolors are great. I too picked up an extra black. Blue and dark green (OD-ish) are next for refills.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:30 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I made another discovery which you had mention at one time about using a slightly wet brush and apply a very thin coat of water to the colored area of paper and it just blew me away. You would swear it had been painted. The color is so rich and flat and looks like I used paint on the part. So I will be redoing all part of the engines where I need to add color to it in this case, black. This is so nuts. I had no idea it would come out this great. Again Coach, thank you for the tip. Another fantastic idea. These Prismacolors pencils are outrageous. thank you. wc