Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

The nice thing about Aileen's Tacky Glue, especially the Turbo Tacky, is that you don't have to wait for it to set up a bit. A little goes a long way. I too use a toothpick to put the glue where I want it neatly. For sprays, I've started using a couple light layers of an acrylic spray after the ink drys. I've experimented with different brands, but so far the Krylon stuff works the best for me. I have both matte and gloss. Depending on the subject I'll use which ever fits. 2-3 light coats before cutting basically eliminates all glue marks and color bleeding on ink. I haven't noticed any ill effects when gluing or bending the paper.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 am 
FG Cutter

Ok, I'm committed now. Went to Hobby Lobby this morning and picked up the Aleene's Turbo Tacky and some floral wire (26 gauge looked about right). BTW, they sell it there both in 175ft coils but also in these nifty packs of 100 sticks ALREADY STRAIGHT!! :D Woo hoo. Now excuse me, but I'll be in the man cave for a while.

Attachment:
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG [ 234.44 KiB | Viewed 11006 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:48 pm 
FG Cutter

The Aleene's is indeed a far superior glue to work with! Thanks for pointing me there, I'll never go back. Same goes for the floral wire. I used balsa for the interplane struts and used the floral wire for the cabane struts which worked beautifully and looks amazing. That's been the most fun part of the build I think!
I read elsewhere on this forum that the floral wire is paintable and that's true, but it's enamel coated so you should really use enamels to cover them. I only have acrylics at the house so I tried it and it covers fine, but when you use the tweezers to grab the piece it rubs off easily. Now that they're in, it's gonna be a real bugger to try and touch them up without getting paint on the fuselage or wings! I'll post pics to the "I built that" section when It's done. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Howdy, your Cub came out a lot better then mine and I can use your photos of the Gee-Bee at a tip for me as I'm building both Gee-Bee's right now. Outstanding work and these and the biplane you can be proud of. Thank you for sharing these with us. wc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm 
FG Cutter

I've always had a soft spot for the Gee Bees. That fuselage shape and the short wingspan is just a thing of beauty. I'm so glad they're offered as models here.