Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Willygoat's Builds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Wow, I am a lazy pile when it comes to posting what I build. Oh wait, I haven't really built much of anything. Ha!

I did jut finish the Grumman Goose a couple of minutes ago. Pictures to come later tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Okay, so no pictures yet. In the process of packing up my workspace (kitchen table for yesterday) I dropped the Goose and broke off the wing floats and one of the props. I'll get it fixed later. Heading out of town for a family "Christmas".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:05 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I hope you and the family had a great Christmas and a safe New Year Coach. wc

Post subject: The Goose is Cooked!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Here's my build of the Grumman G-21 Goose. I built the traditional pre-1942 USAAC colors. Didn't have a whole lot of trouble, other than dropping it a couple of days ago and having to try and re-glue a very persnickety wing float. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Very nice bird I built Coach. Great color. You doing ok? I've been leaving messages for you. wc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

My phone was on the blip for a while, and wasn't connecting to my email again. I got it fixed. I sent you a reply the other day, and just sent one a couple of minutes ago. I'm just waiting to find the right computer so I can replace my dinosaur and have a home computer that actually likes to use the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Did you send that message through my Yahoo e-mail? BTW, do you remember sending me a photo of how you built tires? I could really use that information again. I know I saved it at the time but like so many other things when you need, you never can find it. I wanted to make the tires to look like the ones you show me how to do for my Duck. I have one other way of making them but it's a real pain. Thank you willy. wc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I don't have any specific pics of the whole process, but here is a shot of a wheel partly done.

Here is what I usually do.
1. Cut the tread piece off of the wheel sides.
2. Roll and glue it, just like normal.
3. Measure the width of the tread strip, and make a strip of paper that width to go inside (I usually take a strip the whole length of the paper (11").
4. Pre-roll that strip, and then glue the first bit of it to the inside of the tire tread
5. Uncoil the roll and turn it in your fingers, making it as tight to the tread as possible
6. Glue the last cm or so of the end down
7. Glue on of the wheel sides onto the now, thicker tread ring
8. Measure, cut, and roll another strip for the center of the wheel, this time much tighter (usually roll this one around a piece of wire or paper clip)
9. Glue to center of wheel side piece (you can poke a hole through the wheel side to keep center aligned is you want a strong connection to the gear leg)
10. Glue the second wheel side piece onto the now strengthened wheel.

Of course, any edge coloring and other details can be added along the way.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice! I pretty much do the same, except sometimes I dont bother cutting the tread off, and I dont make up a second rolled bit for the center, although sometimes I will stuff the center with kleenex or paper napkins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I never thought about stuffing the wheels with tissue. And I don't know why, because I put tissue in the fuselage of all of my models.

Sometimes I don't use the center roll. Usually only if I'm using wire to attach it to the gear strut for added strength.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Coach, that helps a lot. At one time I thought you had a step by step in photos of it. That is what I followed for the Duck but that helps a bunch. Thank you. wc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:10 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

At the kind request of Waddy, I'm posting some pics of my build of the Marek P-38J Lightning in 1:50 scale. This was my first successful attempt at a model with formers in each section. This was by far the most challenging model I have done, but I'm quite happy with the results. So is my friend that commissioned the build. it is now adorning his desk at work, and he said many are jealous :twisted:

This model was also chosen as this week's Pic of the Week at papermodelers.com. Here's the link to the POTW thread.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pict ... -38-a.html

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 am 
Paper Model Overlord

This by far one of the best if no the best looking model of the P-38 Lighting I have ever seen built. The detail is perfect but it's the landing gear that got me the most. I guess I have something for a good looking set of tires. The whole model is perfect. Very nice Coach. Very, very clean build. Thanks for sharing this sweet heart with us Willy. wc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Thanks Waddy!

The wheels are pretty simple. I just stacked a few layers (4 I think) of 1mm cardboard together with the printed parts on the sides. I then sanded the edges of the outer layers to give them a bit more rounded look and then got out the black sharpie. The gear legs are simply rolled strips straight from the kit. I rolled them around some 1mm wire I got from the hobby store. I'm sure paper clips would have worked, but I was out of them at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Outstanding detail in the tires and struts which after struggling with the C-47 struts I have begun to really appreciate the craftsmanship even more on other models such as your P-38. I went to SF yesterday for a doctor visit which I do 4 times a year with my GP doctor as I refer to her as and get the finale approval for the eye operation next week on the 7th. Work on the C-47 has been very slow if any work at all. Even with my head magnifier it is extremely hard for me to see. I hope once I have both eyes working better then right now that work on the model will happen faster and be better. A day without working on the model seems like a wasted day for me. Sorry that I seem to be dragging my feet so to say on this model but I can’t see very well and then there are the migraine problems too. I was told I was legally blind. A term I have a hard time with. Paper clip wire is great and I do work with it but at my hardware store I found wire on 3 different thicknesses. I wish I had a hobby store like the one you go to. Is it possible to access there web page to order on-line? You would think that in the San Francisco Bay area and all the other large cites around the bay I could find a a store with all the supplies I need.mWhat did you say the name of your store was? Thank you Coach. More questions to come. wc

PS- I saw you C-47 with glider in tow and didn't realize you had already built what I was planning to build. I hope you didn't think I was coping your build. I really like your tan coloring better then the green it comes in. Very nice build and I don't know why I hadn't seen it before. I'll be a happy a camper when mine is finished and siting above my PC. Do you remember a few bays back I had asked you about a bottle of glue you had in one of your models photos posting? I was wondering if you could give me the name of that glue again and what yO u used it for> What made it such a good glue to have? Thank you for all your great help in modeling Willy. I always look forward to your great builds,For me it's always a treat to look forward to and this goes without saying to all who make FG such a great place to come to. Thanks guys for your outstanding help. WC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next