Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: jusfiddlin's models
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

That looks great Don! Boy, the Polish had a lot going on in their aircraft manufacturing in those days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 am 
Paper Model CINC

I don't know how you do it Don, especially in these smaller scales, but you always turn out such beautifully made flawless looking models. Magnificent! :D

Post subject: 1/72 Sukhoi Su-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here we have a 1/72 scale verion of Kancho Iliev's free-for-download Su-1. I have never seen it built before, so I thought I'd have a go at it. The Su-1 was a high altitude Soviet fighter/interceptor prototype that failed to go into production. The model is very Fiddler's Green-like in it's design and artwork, so if any of you decide to try building it, you should feel right at home. The landing gear is a bit tricky to get right. There are no instructions, so you have to really study the parts carefully. Another part that gave me pause was the wing fairings: the wings are faired in with one big piece which starts under the chin, and wraps up and over both wings, finally ending at the trailing edge. Despite the step's scary appearance, the fairings came out very nice in the end. This is a really well designed model, with no problems with the fit or finish.

There's only a couple of photos of the actual airplane on the net, and one of them shows it sitting on a snow covered airfield. I tried to reproduce this in my display. I gave my paper base a grey, weathered and hopefully cold looking woodgrain finish. I used a powdered snow groundwork product over glue soaked cotton puffs, and hung some thin plastic icicles here and there. It's a rather plain model, but I'm happy with the way it came out, and recommend it strongly for anyone who might want to build it.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:46 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Hey Don :) Good to see ya again :D And a really nice lookin Plane too :mrgreen: Winter is fast approaching, :| stocking up on Ink, Paper, Blades and getting ready for those snowy days :wink:

Just finished:FG's Large Hawker Typhoon

http://satellitedoctor.mysite.com/
http://flybirdman.4t.com/
Spoke wheel Tutorial
http://flybirdman.4t.com/box_widget.html

We havin fun yet?[b][/b]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
FG Origami Master

For anyone who might be interested, here is the link for Kancho's Su-1: http://paperwings.phobby.com/index.php?CMD=9 I haven't been doing much modeling or forum lurking lately, but I do like to stop by from time to time, Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Very nice. Looks cold too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:11 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Very nicely done again there Don :D.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:22 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Outstanding job, Don. Good to see you here again. How, again, did you do the icicles?
Lep

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject: 1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm 
FG Origami Master

I'm embarrassed to see that, although I do check in on the forum now and then, it's been almost a year since my last thread. Better late than never, I guess.

Anyway, here we have the Crosby CR 4 racing plane by Fiddler's Green. I reduced it at printing to my my favorite scale, 1/72. This makes for a very small model with a wing span of only 2 11/16 inches (note photo 1). The model is marketed by FG as the CR 3 but as designed, it really isn't a replica of either the CR 3 or the CR 4. It has attributes of both, making it sort of a CR 3.5 :). Modifications to the model to make it more accurate include blackening the #52s on the fuselage, the addition of the Aero ITI logo to the tail (correct for 1938), and affixing a full bubble canopy made from card stock, painted with acrylics, and finished with a few applications of brush on glosscoat. Using Photoshop, I recolored the "inside" of the landing gear bays zinc chromate green. A pitot tube, tail skid, modified spinner, and fuel tank vent complete the model.

Despite being plagued with mechanical problems, Harry Crosby's racers had great potential and were way ahead of their time, featuring all aluminum construction at a time when many of his competitors were flying airplanes built primarily of plywood and canvas. The remains of the CR 4 were located in 1990 on private property in North Carolina, dangerously close to being sold as scrap metal. Some parts were stored in an old school bus, and others were just discarded in the woods. Happily, the airplane has now been restored for static display. A fascinating article and additional pictures can be found here http://www.daisey-designs.com/nx13688/crosby/crosby.htm

This is the first airplane model I've built that wasn't armed with machine guns, and I really enjoyed it. I've ordered a bunch more of FG's 1930s racers, and look forward to starting the next one soon.

Pictures are of the usual poor quality - my apologies. I ran out of ink, but I'll soon have this baby mounted on a paper base, and will update then with a final few photos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:23 am 
FG Origami Master

Here are a few final shots of the FG Crosby CR4 on it's base.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:43 am 
FG Origami Master

It's been a while since I checked in. I thought I'd share a few pics of my latest Fiddler's Green model. I built Chip's classic Gumman F4F-3 Wildcat. I made a few minor modifications to the original model: I changed the fuselage ID numbers from brown to black, and detailed the propeller a bit for a better 3D look. I decided to build this one wheels up. There were a couple of minor fit problems: The front fuselage section is a little wide at the front, so I removed long slim slivers of paper from each side of the part, probably 1/16 of an inch total. I also found that the cowl ring was too small, and enlarged it about 4% for a better fit. I also made wing fairings from regular weight printer paper. The only real unfixable problem I found was with the combo fuselage spine and vertical tail piece. The tail is sloped back a bit after assembly, so that the rudder isn't vertical as it should be. I'm contemplating building Texman's awesome pre-war version of the model. When I do, I'll modify the tail in Photoshop to make it more like the real thing. I still need to add an antenna mast and wire. To show off the model, I made a paper base that includes a long leggedy redhead with the slogan "Come fly with me". I think of it as a 3D recruiting poster. I'm a better modeler than a photographer, but you'll get an idea of the finished product at least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm 
FG Origami Master

Nice build, great presentation.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That turned out great! I love the way you do your bases. Very professional looking. The model on the base isn't bad looking either. You can make your own mind about which "model" I'm talking about. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks fellas. This 1/72 scale Wildcat was the first Fiddler's Green model I've built in a while. I forgot how much fun they can be. I try to do something different with my stands. A simple model can be elevated a notch or two with an imaginative display base/stand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:41 pm 
FG Origami Master

I forgot all about this one - I built in January of 2013. It's Fiddler's Green Yak 3 in 1/72 scale. Using Photoshop I recolored the B&W version, only to find later that there was already a version in this scheme called "Camo" in the folder. Ah well, I enjoyed the recoloring excercise anyway. I made a couple of modifications to the kit as well. First off, I lengthened the wing fairings for a better fit. The kit ones are way too short. I also reworked the canopy. The kit canopy just doesn't have the right shape. It's too tall overall, and it doesn't flow smoothly into the fuselage at the rear like on the real thing. The base is from Fiddler's Green textured with sky and clouds. I added a name plate and a hammer & sickle insignia to dress it up a little. Here's a few photos:

I'm in the process of recoloring this one again. It has the same basic camo scheme, but the fuselage markings are totally different. If Scott is interested I'd be happy to offer it as an addition to the Yak-3 folder. The file would include the more accurate canopy, and lengthened wing fairings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next