Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: jusfiddlin's models
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

You have a way of building only first rate models and this Yak is just as beautiful as all you modles. Thank you for sharing this Yak. She is a sweetie. One question if I can. Your mounts, where do you get your mounts for your models. Are they paper or wood. Thank you again. Beautiful plane. wc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:47 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks WC. Well, the Yak stand is just the Fiddler's Green stand with some new texturing. I have quite a few different stands of this type available for download at the papermodelers.com forum. They have the same sky & clouds texturing with various roundels or coats of arms of numerous country's air forces. The square or rectangular bases were drawn up using MS Paint years ago. I take images and textures from the net to skin the original black and white line drawings using Photoshop or MS Paint. I have a library of different woodgrains, nameplates, and groundwork images that I've collected over the years, and use them to customize each base. I have quite a few nose art style ladies that I use from time to time as seen on the Wildcat. When I use one of my square or rectangular bases for a flying stand, I freehand draw the elevating arm with a pencil, cut it from 1mm cardboard, and laminate the sides and edges with card stock printed with the base texture.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:54 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Don I will check that out. Thank you. wc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am 
FG Scorer

Nice models! But I not like for building the old versions of Chip hand draw designs but I admire the fine work in the builds I like a lot Crosby CR 4.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Nice!

That issue with the canopy seems to be a recurring one in lots of FG models. Often they just dont look right and/or seem too tall. It would sure be great to get this one; I bet your new canopy could be tweaked in photoshop to make a better one for some other FG models as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46 am 
FG Origami Master

Thank you Tim. I agree that the canopies on some of Chip's hand drawn models are a bit "off". Often looking too tall. He was such a talented designer, I really think he did it on purpose - sort of a trademark of Fiddler's Green models. They were intended to be lighthearted and fun to build, and I think the distorted canopies played into that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:02 am 
FG Origami Master

So I just finished the green version of the A6M Zero, reduced to 1/72 scale. I like the weathered, war weary look of this version. The build wasn't without it's challenges. The engine disc was way too large for the cowl, the cowl ring was too small, as was the cone at the back of the drop tank. I printed out these parts at different percentages until I came up with a size that fit. The green version's drop tank has a petalled nose, never easy to form correctly, although I'm happy with the way it turned out. The only additions to the kit were exhaust pipes made from small diameter solder, and an antenna wire cut from a piece of .012" guitar string. I also brushed on a few layers of glosscoat on the canopy glazing to make it more glassy looking. I made a stand for the model that features the silhouette of a Kamikaze pilot in front of the rising sun flag. Both are superimposed over a stormy looking sky. Enjoy the photos!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Very nice! I always liked the weathered look on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Very nice build. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 am 
Botbuster Master

great job...i think im jealous!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:08 am 
FG Origami Master

:) Good looking Zero. Makes me want to start building again...Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 pm 
FG Folder

The Wildcat looks AWESOME! Great job on the prop. Did you use the tutorial in FG to make the prop? I want to try it myself, looks a little complicated, but still worth a try especially now that I see the results on yours.

caddmann05 :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm 
FG Folder

I always thought that a few extra touches on a model whether supplied with the kit, scratch built or as an aftermarket product helped to make a more interesting model. The exhaust pipes added to the Zero give it the right amount of pizazz that make me hit my head and say," Darn I could have had a V8." But seriously though it looks good!

caddmann05 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:44 pm 
FG Origami Master

I've been away for a few weeks, so I'm just now checking into the forum. Many thanks for all your kind comments, fellas. Caddmann, I didn't even know there was a tutorial on prop hub detailing. I just "winged" it (pun intended). I agree that the little details, whether they be exhaust pipes, an aerial, or a more detailed prop hub really do a lot to elevate a simple model.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:43 am 
FG Origami Master

I thought I'd share a few pics of my 1/72 scale Miles M.52 recolor. The original model was designed by Dragos, and I believe it can still be downloaded over at the papermodelers forum. I used Photoshop to recolor mine to match an illustration I found online. Since no M.52's were ever completed, any paint scheme is pure conjecture, but this is a pretty likely one.

The M.52 had all the right stuff to be the first aircraft to achieve supersonic flight, but due to delays in the project, and some unfulfilled promises by the United States, that honor fell to the Bell X-1 in October of 1947. A 30% scale model of the M.52 did achieve mach 1.38 in 1948, proving the supersonic capability of the design. Although 3 airframes had been ordered, the project was cancelled before the first full sized prototype was completed.

I displayed my model "in flight" on a Fiddler's Green stand. The stand is textured with sky and clouds, topped off with an R.A.F. crest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next