Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Paper Model Overlord

A complete redraw of the Ercoupe and a wild repaint of same (see yesterday's post in REPAINTS for links to Thrasher Bros. lore) ---

Lastly, I solved an old problem - how to replicate landing gear strut forks. Ideas like this shouldn't occur as late as they do, but better late than never - strut forks that look right and hold up, achieved by simply laminating them up. I've never seen this approach, although I'm sure someone must have had this same idea across all the decades of paper modeling, but here it is finally in a public forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 am 
Paper Model Overlord

What a great model airport. d**n that's sweet. How hard was it to do a repaint? Nose gear came out very nice. I really lime your work. Would there be any chance that you might think about trying the large Piper Cub J3 with detailed cockpit and clear windows? Sometimes I don't if it's me shooting blanks or if my gun is even loaded if you know what I mean? Just a passing thought. You must have a lot of models on your plate and adding one more would like be ordering a second desert. Thanks for kicking it around. waddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That came out great Mark! That is one wild paint scheme for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:10 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Airport, I didn't realize that you live near the USS Hornet. Have you been on board thar beautiful ship? There is some very cool history aboard her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Wad_Cutter wrote:
Airport, I didn't realize that you live near the USS Hornet. Have you been on board that beautiful ship?

Many times, although "beautiful" is not a word I'd use to describe a carrier; they're anything but. There isn't a square yard of its hull plating that doesn't show the weight of the sea hitting it (or anything else afloat or not afloat attached to land) or repair or refit crews putting on new steel with torches and hydraulic hammers. It's a veteran with scars to prove it.

The Hornet's in a bad spot, tied up at the only wharfage it can afford, but so far off any main thoroughfares it might as well be cast in the Middle of the Gobi Desert. It clings to survival by fingernails and the good graces of Alameda and the Navy. Were it tied up off the San Francisco Embarcadero it'd be raking money in, more than paying for itself, but the City won't have it. I don't see how it can last - without an occasional tow into fresh water to kill the salt water organisms its hull is doomed, and tows are way beyond its ability to pay for. And if not the organisms, the steadily increasing value of steel scrap will ultimately claim it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I had a chance to spend the whole day aboard. I think she's a grand old lady with stories to be told. wc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 am 
FG Origami Master

Hi Airport Kid.
As always you have done a fantastic job on this re-paint.
I like the way you have blended the markings together.
And what a great innovation on the gear.
All I want to know is,,,
are you going to make this one available for purchase?
Best regards,
Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:36 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

PMI will sell it anytime.

I also sent Chip the full roster of pdfs this evening, so it may show up on his site soon too.