Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:25 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Great tutorial willy, a first rate job on the step by step. This is a major help. Thank you very much. I know I will still have a few questions. The landing gear is something I have to cut out yet and dry fit a few times. That's the key, the dry fitting. And having your tutorial. Outstanding job on the tires. My Piper Cub style tires would not look too good here. Very nice build. Great tutorial. Oh BTW, glad you had a good vacation and I'm glad your back. Looking forward to your photos at sea. I just got the new MSFS X Gold for the new PC. This system will do justice to the graphics of that software. Have you looked at a FREE program call Flight? It comes with 2 aircraft. A Boeing Stearman-PT17 and a bi-plane/sea plane. The graphics are sweet. I did a few touch and goes in the sea plane last night. If you want more planes you have to buy as you go. All I want is a sail plane. Thanks again for the outstanding tutorial. I would be lost with out you. wc.

PS-There is the Hull Fairing that goes on the top of the float just under the engine at the front. Did you have any problems with that section going in? Thanks will.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:27 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

The fairing at the front of the float took some fiddling. I think I trimmed it a bit on the bottom towards the back where it mates with the float. Lots of pre curving and massaging into shape. It's still a bit off on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 am 
Paper Model Overlord

I'm not to that part yet. I'll try on my own and if I have problems I'll get in touch. Back to the build.
PS I have a second love now which is taking me away from building. I have a new PC and my wife bought me MSFS X Gold. I've been playing with the glider. What a trip. Really fun even if I don;t know what I'm doing. ;

Outstanding tutorial willy, a major help for anyone selecting this vintage aircraft that had a great war history and a great movie too. When you were build the wing floats you use twister to cradle it,. Do you know what they are called, and where you found them? They look spring loaded close which could be a very handy tool.

Oh BTW, I found a supplier of the Turbo Tacky Glue by Aleene’s. Great stuff. I found two large bottles so I should be fine for some time as I don’t use it all that much. Thank you for the great tip and the really great tutorial. wc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

CRAP!!! This my third time trying to build the float fairing and trying to bring it together with the fuselage. Yep, it didn't happen. Willy I don't know what your doing that I ain't but it just doesn't want to work for me. I keep going over and over your photos and mine some how takes a left turn when it should go right. I just don't knot other then for today I walk away. walk away Walk away. wc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Did you attach the float to the rest of the fairing already? If so, that would be it. I attached mine to the rest of the fairing before putting it on the float. That gave me a bit of wiggle room to get the edges lined up. I did some trimming to the fairing once I started dry-fitting to the float.

I know all about FSX. I've had it for a few years. I've got about 80 hours "flying time" on the program. Super fun.

The tweezer thingies I have are Testors "Reverse Action Tweezers". I got them at the local hobby shop, but they are on ebay and at craft stores too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Not to sure I understand what you meant be:

"I did some trimming to the fairing once I started dry-fitting to the float."

There is one part of the fairing that is attached to the fuselage and that same fairing where it attaches to the float. Where the fairing attaches to the float at the front looks to be to long as it would stick down and below the float. I can see the trimming there or did you meant somewhere else .

I wanted to make the fuselage, float fairing and float more sturdy by applying stack-back paper to these parts to strengthen and I only did this to a few parts. Just looking at this model at the very first I had no idea how complex it would be. I sure do now. Once again, I am learning willy. It's all a great education that will pay off on models to come. Thank you very much my friend, wc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I trimmed a bit where the fairing meets the float on the front, and on the sides. If you look closely, mine kind of angles down at the rear corner of the fairing. I had to trim that area a touch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:31 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Willy Sir!, to say I am having a problem with the mating up of the “Hull Fairing” to the “Float Fairing” would be an understatement. Does the “Hull Fairing” glue on top of the “Float Faring” or under at the front of the aircraft hull? The “Hull Fairing” has to curled in such a way it makes it a bit more then just hard. It seems my fingers can’t go that way. Any suggestion or ideas other then walk away from this model which is out of the question. Thank you for your help. Also but the term thinning out I not sure I understand. This is all I have right now hanging me up. wad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I put the float fairing onto the fuselage first, then the hull fairing (front one) onto the float fairing. I made sure the float fairing matched up where it needed to then trimmed the hull fairing to ensure a snug fit against the top of the float. Lots of dry-fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:02 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I’m trying to pick this up and I think I might have come at this all wrong (what else is new huh). I glued float fairing to the fuselage leaving the end of the fairing open. Then I took both parts of the floats and glued them together as shown. I then glued the floats to the float fairing with fuselage attached. Then the part this is hanging me up, the front part of the hull fairing which in on the left side of sheet 4 about half way up the page. What I have been trying to do is take the hull fairing and glue one side so it matches up with the wheel well section and wait til the glue sets real good. Then trying to bend the hull fairing around the float fairing just under the engine housing on the fuselage. There is my problem. No matter what I do it just won’t make that bend and keep it’s gentle curve to the front of this hull fairing part.

I’m still not sure how you are going about this other then to say I went at it wrong. Holly crap my head hurts. Looks like I will be starting all over again in the morning like it or not. It a learning thing right? Ya get stronger from that which doesn’t kill you. Yep, we’re really learning now huh? Maybe in the morning and a fresh read of your instruction and I see it better because right now the fog is in. Willy, how come you make it look so easy? Thanks for your help and I really mean that. I would really be more lost with out you. Kind wishes, waddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Been a while since I posted a update. With a lot of help from my Teacher Willygoat behind the scene, forward progress is still going on. I finally got the small front fairing in place over the float. It was a killer. I just placed the rudder on when I noticed the wings are next. I have both wings glued now and will let them dry over night. This thing is a nerve killer. Next model I do, willygoat will pick. Something easy like a cube. Photos maybe tomorrow is I can. Hang in there, it’s a coming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

If you give me the choice of your next model, I could have some fun :twisted:

No no, I wouldn't be the vengeful teacher. You listen MUCH better than some of my students at school.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Bottom wings glued and installed after much dry fitting. Cutting out top wing supports. I jumped the gun and installed the rudder ahead. I have the Kingfisher FG model but what do you think about the Kawanihi N1K1 Kyolu Rex? One last idea I have is the Boeing Stearman PT-17 "Kaydet" which I bought some time ago. You pick.As I really want the Ruff but I don't have it. Your the teacher so what ever it is , it's up to you. Your students have no idea what a great teacher you are and I would be more then happy to tell them. Your doing just about OK and that 100% in my book. wc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Are you ready for this. I was just getting ready to glue the wing struts on the lower wing. I was looking at willys plan and then mine when I noticed the right wing was install wring. Both of the bottom wings are in the wrong location. So now I have to try to remove the wings without destroying the fuselage. I can't believe this. I might listen but I sure don't look. What a dummy. If I screw this up it's time to trash and start all over again. So much for thinking about the next model to build. If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. OMG!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Get a really sharp blade and go slowly.

The Kaydet is a pretty solid model. Probably fits better than the Kingfisher, as that one is older. I enjoyed doing the Stearman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next