Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
FG Origami Master

The one unknown is the size of your wire. Let me know how thick it is,
and how this works out for you. Of course, thinner wire straightens better.

Don't Squat with yer spurs on.....its gonna hurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
FG Origami Master

I have two different wires, one is 22 gauge which is easy to straighten. All you have to do is pull it tight and wack it with a hammer, believe it or not it straightens right up that way. The thinner gauge is to light to do that (that is the stuff the rigging is made out of) I have broken it when I tried. Unfortunately I lost the label that gives the thickness of the thin stuff. I have some hanging right now. I can get it pretty straight for short wires, the long ones get lazy curves.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
FG Origami Master

Everybody I've shown this one to like it. I'm a sucker for planes with wheel pants, but this one has wheel trousers, with guns in the pockets.....

As you can see I used transparency film again for the glazing. This model was built at 1/33 to go with the other things I have. I reinforced the wings, but added no bulkheads to the build. It just went together pretty easily.

I did repaint the rudder, as the one in the kit had to many stripes. There are supposed to 13, like the flag.

Here it is with my PT16 to show a size comparison, both are 1/33.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Is that a gun in your wheel trousers or are you just happy to see me? :twisted:

Hehehe This one came out great as always. Very well done. There are some complicated curves on this plane and you got them perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:37 am 
FG Scorer

Very beautiful A-8. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:38 am 
FG Origami Master

Thanks guys.

I'm currently working on (as time permits) a couple repaints of the A12, one will have a green fuselage like the A8 and another will have Chinese camo and markings. That will come after I finish the Boeing 40 I'm also building.

Beard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here is one that I added a little bit to. This is the Boeing 40, mail plane. I thought it was just a neat design, and I decided to build it with the green fuselage. That is where I ran into some problems, mainly, the ailerons didn't line up on the top of the wing. So, that gave me an excuse to get a little carried away.

I redid the engine by using Arron's (Oddball) A-12 Shrike engine. I then added the pushrods and adapted the rocker and exhaust manifolds from Alan Rose's Ford Trimotor. I also took the cooling plate off of the trimotor. You may also see from this picture that I "glazed" the passenger windows. I also fitted a new prop to it.

Here you can see the new exhaust ring, reworked wheels and glazed landing lights.

This shows the wings and empennage that I repainted. I figured that the heavy lines and colors would not match. I also scored all surfaces from the back (recommended in the kit on the fuselage) so the ribs would show. I also added the rigging wires.

So, all in all the kit took a little longer to build, but I was pleased with the results. By the way the kit was reduce to 1/33 and it was still really big.

Merry Christmas all,
Beard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:40 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Very well done! The Boeing 40 is a nice kit. I really appreciate the extra details and the kit-bashing from a whole range of models.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:56 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks Willy. I have my eye on a couple of new projects, haven't decided which yet. I am currently working on a repaint of the Fokker DVIII, the A-12 Shrike, and found some interesting schemes for the Lockheed Vega.

What takes time is I build something for the wife between each one of my airplanes. She now has a growing collection of Automatonic toys, mostly from Canon, but not all, some birds, to include the FG Red Tail, and I am just finishing a Christmas Train from Paper Replika. She seems to take a lot of joy in them.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:52 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Outstanding piece of work and craftsmanship Beard. Your cable rigging guild wires are really nice. You sure know how to make them seem tight don't you. I don't guess you could do a step by step on how to do this could ya. Please. Your photography is very clear and clear too. Super nice job. wc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:23 pm 
FG Origami Master

Waddy,

All I do for rigging is; 1) pre-poke holes in the kit where the wire ends go, sometimes there are dots on the kit for these, 2) get a straight piece of wire (the hardest part) that is a little longer than I need and push it into the holes, 3) put a drop of glue on the wire ends when it is in place. That is all there is to it. I almost forgot, most important is to take a picture from and angle that make the wires look tight and straight ;)

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 am 
FG Scorer

Awesome Boeing 40! Very inspirational work!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:39 pm 
FG Origami Master

This is a repaint of Arron's Curtis A12 Shrike. I found the color scheme on Google Images so I hope it is correct. It would be one of the 20 that were shipped to China before we entered the War, all 20 were destroyed.

I enhanced the engine by adding push rods and putting tops on the rods.

I did all the glazing with transparency film and slid the back part of the rear canopy forward. I also made the 30 caliber machine gun 3d, what you cant see under the canopy is the gun has aircraft grips.

Everything on the model fit very nicely and is a straight forward build with no nasty surprises, oh by the way you can eliminate half of the tabs on the very rear of the fuselage (you will see what I mean).

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Excellent repaint and build Beard! Those extra little details and marvelous. The new gun is really cool. I would imagine it could be enlarged slightly to make a M-2 .50 caliber for the big WWII bombers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:33 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Beard, this one falls under the title of PFM! Pure F@#king Magic! This should go under glass where everyone who loves air planes can see what paper can really do. What a time for aviation it must have been. This one is a lot closer to are then anything else. Fantastic model and great craftsmanship. Can you send me a PM on price and how I can buy it? Thank you so sharing this sweet gem. wc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next