Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:17 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here is a Hawker Hurricane Zoom Zoom plane. My grandson is about 2 1/2 years old and loves airplanes (I may have mentioned this). Anyhoo, I decided it would be fun to just make a few out of the box planes for him to play zoom zoom with, the criteria is no prop, no wheels, (because these are just gonna break off) and lots of color. This Hurricane is the first, I plan to go through the kits in search of planes that meat the criteria.

This one is built at 1/50 scale, because I figured this would be just about right for small hands. The onliest changes I made were reinforced wings and stabilizers. This kit went together quite well for one of the old hand-drawn kits, everything fit pretty nicely, though I did have to cut the bottom of rudder down a little. I built this little guy in one day while doing a bunch of honey dues for the mistress of the house.

Beard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:44 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here is the next Zoom-Zoom plane. The Me 109. I will have to admit I had a little trouble with this one. I misunderstood how to put the wing together so the dihedral is not correct and the fuselage farings did not line up correctly. But what the heck, it is a zoom-zoom, so it's life expectancy isn't very long.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:13 pm 
Botbuster Master

very sweet Mr. Beard!!!!!! :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:28 pm 
FG 26# stock

Nice zoom zooms!

If you hadn't mentioned it, and even tho' you did, I can't see the problems!

Do-overs seem to be inexpensive, except in terms of the modeler's time, eh? :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:51 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

They both look great! I've made a few of these for my son when he was younger. Any that I give to him now, he wants to keep on his shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here is another in the series of Zoom-zooms, but maybe this should be called a Zip-zip. Again this is 1/50 and it is tiny. The card stock casts beeeg shadows.

Anyhoo this is obviously the 8 Ball racer. I re-enforced the wings and rudder and even had to laminate a piece of card stock on the insides of sides of the fuselage, because it crushes very easily. The onliest difficult part on this is the chin piece which has some petals that have to be formed to make a vertical seam with three other pieces on the front of the fuselage. This really wasn't too awfully difficult but would be a lot easier on a larger scale. I wanted you guys to see what the size was, the cube is two inches, the dice on the other models is slightly larger.

Bye the way, the hurricane and me109 have been loved, squished, dropped on the floor and consumed (figuratively) by the dog.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am 
Botbuster Master

I cant build small, fingers to fat. YOU do a good job!!!!!! :D

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:31 am 
FG Origami Master

Here is another Zoom-Zoom, a Hughes H-1 Racers. This was a nice little build but I really dislike going from a rolled fuselage to a vertical stabilizer. This is again 1/50 scale to fit little hands. It is the type of plane that looks like it is going really fast while just sitting there.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am 
FG Origami Master

Okay Guys now for something completely different. This is a scratch built Fokker EV (DVIII), I kinda started with the FG DVIII but kept changing things so I really ended up not using it at all.

The engine is adapted Thebrainstrominnartstudio. Which offer a bunch of WWI Engines. The propeller is one I adapted from the Simplified Sabre propeller designed by Lief Ohlsson. I then made it so the propeller and the engine turn together (after a little head scratchin'). The machine guns and seat were from a Fitters DVII. The scheme is Jasta 6, Franz "Locken" Hemer, taken from Wings Over Flanders Fields flight sim.

Beard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

It looks to me like your crazy amount of hard work and adaptations have turned into a sweet little plane. Great build and thanks for sharing the ultimate kitbash!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks Willy.
Actually I picked about the easiest plane to work with, there is very little adjustment to the three view to make the skins fit. I actually had more work redrawing the lozenge camo in Corel to make it the correct size and usable. Having other models to draw parts from really helps. I picked the scheme because it is one of the least used that was unique that I saw. I have been thinking about going after some of the other slab sided planes, to recolor or redesign. The Nieuport triplane comes to mind as it came in about three different varieties based on the N10, N11, and N17. The fuselages would be easy but you have to redo the wings completely.

Beard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:22 pm 
FG Origami Master

Here is a little sumpin' that looked a lot easier than it was. Last year I made the Paper Replika Christmas Train for my wife, so,..... I thought I would simply make her another train. Canon called it a "Toy Train" so I figured how tough could it be....

Well most of the parts fit pretty darn well, but a lot of the little fiddly parts are three layers, so you get to cut a lot of stuff out. I think it was 17 pages (letter) but that includes the cover sheet and a couple of pages at the end I didn't use.

The hardest parts were the six pipes along side of the front of the engine, I don't know why they designed them the way they did, but it took a lot of altering to get them to fit, I also got to use some of my favorite Army vocabulary.

This is probably one of the more difficult things I have built, so if'n you want to try it remember it aint gonna be easy.

Merry Christmas All,
Beard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That came out great! Those little pipes and layers are exactly why I don't intend to build this one. I've had it downloaded for a while now, but just can't get excited to build it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:21 pm 
FG Cutter

Anyone know why I don't see any pics in Beard's posts?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:42 pm 
FG Origami Master

Pics are there for me, and I have to say - nice job! It looks like a pretty complicated build, but it came out great.

Currently working on: 1/48 Fokker DVII
Recently completed: 1/72 Douglas Skystreak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next