Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Coach your T-38 looks perfect. Very sharp and clean but I would expect no less from a top modeler as yourself. I have looked over a lot of your models and you have the ability to make some very impressive looking models. Can I ask what glue bottle you were using in the second to last photo. Thanks for sharing Coach. Really nice job. wc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:12 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Burning Beard wrote:
Very Nice Willygoat, what is the scale on that thing? It does indeed look huge.

Beard

The T-38 is right about 1:32 scale. It's a biiiig model. I love it though. it'll be the right size for a visual aid in my aviation class.

Waddy,
The glue pictured was a bottle of "Crafter's Pick: The Ultimate Glue" Can be had at Hobby Lobby and Michaels I believe. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. It'll glue just about anything. I glued a brick back together with it a few weeks back. For the model, I use it for areas that I need to stick quickly. The glue is like a thicker, stickier Tacky Glue. It sets up very quickly.

You can get it from HobbyLobby
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/cra ... ue-461053/

Or from these choices at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ate%20glue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:40 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

More Oddballs!!!!

Well, one Oddball and a Murph :roll:

For the upcoming Omacon modeling convention here in Omaha on the 28th, I have built, and am finishing up a few models for both competition and display as a "vendor". One of the models I am entering into the competition is the B-25 Doolittle Raid "Ruptured Duck" from Murph's Models (Aaron Murphy of both FG and Oddball Productions fame). I am hoping to eventually leave this with the museum, as they have a very nice little display on the Doolittle Raid.

I am also finishing up (finally) the F-105 that I have been working on since LAST spring. Technically, I started it in Sept of 2013, but didn't get to any building until the spring. I am actually building this as a commission form a friend. His father was a mechanic for the 357th Fighter Squadron in Vietnam. He worked on the F-105 during his time in theater, so I changed an few details to match an aircraft from the 357th that would have been there the same time as his father. I recolored the port intake and the tail to match a real plane.

I'm also loading the plane out for a bombing mission. I used a plastic armament kit from Hasegawa because I couldn't make paper bombs well enough. I put 6 Mk.82s on a Multiple Ejector Rack in the center line pylon, a drop tank on each mid-wing pylon, and a single Mk.84 on each outer pylon (I took the picture before the Mk.84s were mounted).

At the same time, I've been working on a nice wooden display base for the Thud as well. It will attach using two rods of square brass tubing, one slightly smaller than the other, so that it fits inside. The base tube will fit into the plane via the exhaust cone.

I'll have more updates tomorrow on the finished stand. I had to wait for the epoxy to fully set between the bass rod and the wood base before I could finish paint work and apply decals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:42 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

One other piece I have been working on is the KC-97 from Murph's Models. This model is of the EXACT plane that is at the Strategic Air and Space Museum. I only have the nose done so far, but will get working on it in a few minutes once the kids are fully in bed and asleep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:07 am 
FG Origami Master

You have been cranking out some pretty neat stuff, both figuratively and literally. The uninitiated it would be good to point out "Oddball" aka Arron Murphy has designed a lot of stuff for FG, I think the last ones where A8 and A12 Shrikes.

It is amazing how well they fit together with no internal parts.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I agree Beard. Murph also worked for Chip and FG for a time, designing many of the fine helicopter models. A few of his Oddballs/Murph's Models have also been brought back to FG as well, liek the A-8 and A-12, as well as the F-105, T-38, A-10 etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:04 pm 
FG 90# stock

Nice work! I really like the B25. I worked for a fellow who piloted one of those in WWII.

The advantages of simplifying origami are two-fold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:42 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Progress! First, the KC-97 got a full main fuselage section last night. It's pretty long, at nearly 20 inches in length. I hope to get more done tonight.
(sorry about the pink tinge to the photos. The try table color was overriding the bright ambient light and other colors.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

In other news, the F-105 is finally done! The project that started the day my daughter was born in September of 2013 had finally found the finish line. The main thing holding me up was the display base. The first two I had attempted were utter failures. The first wasn't sturdy enough and crumpled under the weight of the then unloaded Thud. The second was strong enough, but the wood was quite rough, and even with hours of sanding, filling, and more sanding, would never come out smooth enough. Finally, I dug out some scrap clear maple and got to work using my power tools to make it pretty.

I sprayed the base flat black and added a few decals. One is the F-105 patch from Vietnam. Another is the 357th FS unit patch, as the model is for my friend who's father served with that unit in Vietnam. The last decal is a profile image and info marker of the actual plane that I did my recreation after. It's a pretty big and hefty base, to go along with a big and hefty plane. I think it's a good for for something called the "Thud".

I sure hope my friend likes it. If not, I'm keeping it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Amazing! I love the bombs and the stand. Excellent work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:49 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Thanks Tim. This was quite fun and challenging. I didn't want to go the Pl@$t!c route for the bombs, but I just couldn't get the paper to go that small.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I was able to finally get back on the KC-97 tonight. After a couple nights off due to exhaustion, I got cutting and added to the fuselage. I finished the lower fuselage bubble and attached it to the main, upper fuselage. part fit was spectacular, and quite simple. Careful gluing, going section-by-section made attaching it fairly trouble free.

The only issue I had was that a couple graphics did not fully line up. The blue star field ribbon on the lower fuselage was bumped forward about 1/8 inch from the upper ribbon.

The red prop warning stripe was about 1/16 behind on the lower from the upper marking. Not a major issue to me. I may try to print the sheet again on lighter paper and see if I can overlay the parts on top, but I'm not sure if they will hide the printing from behind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 am 
FG Origami Master

The beta builder must have missed that. That's one of those, "I must'a done something wrong" moments until it wont line up the other way. Really odd for one of Murph's models.

Beard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:06 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:56 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Beautiful collection Coach, My wife orders me plastic cases which are clear and it helps to keep the dust off the ones I have made so far. I just got 6 more yesterday. Do you have a link to buy the B-25? I think this is one I need to add to my collection. I only hope I can build it. I really love the skin you have on yours. Very nice. A collection you can be proud of. Thank you for the info. wc