Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: FG - Albatros DVa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 am 
FG Folder

For such a small model, I sure did take a lot of time to complete it. I added some details to give it more of a punch, and wanted to add more, but my skills limited me to what I did do. My imperfections on this is what enabled me to learn how to proceed with the next biplane project. Just a couple of notes about construction.

The rigging was from thread that I had left over from a ship model that I never completed years ago. It is black tread, but I was at a point that I wanted to finish this build as it was starting to become a stale project. Next project (biplane) I shall use a steel colored rigging. The pictures show the black thread much more darker and thicker than it really is in person.

Next issue is the bottom wing. The left wing is at an upward angel due to my internal structure. I corrected the flaw with the right side wing and it looks much better. I added formers in the body to give it more strength so it wouldn't collapse while being handled. The top wing sits too high, and that is due to the CA glue setting too fast before I could adjust the height.

I am glad this one is done and in the books. Hope you enjoy looking at it as I had in building it.

Post subject: Re: FG - Albatros DVa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 am 
FG Origami Master

Good job Caddman, the extra details you put on the project make it look great! Maybe now I'll have to build one of these. How did you get the rigging so tight? I always seem to get sags when I try to use thread.

Beard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Very well made model Caddman and I agree with Beard about the rigging. Very tight and clean. Did you do anything special to the colors of the model? I ask this because you really got the colors to pop out. Nice job. Thank you for sharing this with us. wc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:07 pm 
FG Tissue Paper

Very Clean build that's beautifully executed...

I wish I was half as talented as the people that post around here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
FG Folder

Thanks for the compliments. Once I figured out how to do the rigging, it actually was fairly easy to do. I followed Marcelo Kraiser's advice and used CA glue and patience. I drilled out the holes for each strand and then dipped the end of the thread into the CA glue to stiffen it in order to place it into each hole. Then I would put the end into the hole along with just a very little amount of CA glue in order to set up. Once dry, I would cut just a long enough length of thread to run into the respective hole across the wing. I did the same thing as far as gluing the thread end and a very small amount out of glue and placing it into the hole. It's important to use the gel CA glue which will not run in every direction when applied. I let it dry just enough that I started to apply pressure to set up the tightness an take up the slack in the line. I used either a toothpick or a pin to apply this pressure. I need to make a tool like Marcelo has to do the rigging. Once it has set up I then applied another drop of glue to finish that line. Be careful not to apply any pressure to the line while drying or you will put back the slack. I used gloss coat to seal the model, but applied it to the sheets before cutting the parts out for fabrication. It helps to bring out the colors. Use only about 2 coats maybe 3 or it won't dry all the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That looks great! Way better than any biplane I've ever attempted. Like everyone else said, that rigging looks very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 am 
FG Scorer

Very nice build I love the extra details and rigging...