Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: FG - Sopwith Camel
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:09 pm 
FG Folder

It has been quite some time since my last posting, but here it is. I am currently in my WW I phase, which means nothing but planes of that era. Unfortunately it takes a very long time for me to complete a single model, and postings are few and far between.

I have learned a few valuable lessons such as not to use cheap dollar store thread for the rigging. It looks like it will unravel at any moment in the pics I took. Second is to locate the holes for the rigging before the model is glued together.

I did find metallic nylon thread only after I started assembling the rigging and didn't want to start over, so I continued with the cotton thread to completion.

I invested in a pack of watercolor pencils and that most certainly helped in finishing the edges so that it looked more complete.

Despite the issues I had with construction, I liked how it came out.

caddman05 :wink:

Attachments:
Sopwith Cml 005 - FG.jpg
Sopwith Cml 005 - FG.jpg [ 43.29 KiB | Viewed 10339 times ]
Sopwith Cml 004 - FG.jpg
Sopwith Cml 004 - FG.jpg [ 26.57 KiB | Viewed 10339 times ]
Sopwith Cml 001 - FG.jpg
Sopwith Cml 001 - FG.jpg [ 41.04 KiB | Viewed 10339 times ]

Post subject: Re: FG - Sopwith Camel
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:40 pm 
FG Origami Master

Nice clean build. How do you string the thread to get it so tight?

Beard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:49 am 
FG 26# stock

Lookin' good!

I don't know about up close and personal, but in the pictures that thread looks like some authentic wear and tear on the wires!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
FG Folder

Thanks for the comments Burning Beard and P50116P. Truth be known, the rigging is not that difficult, just time consuming and a lot of patience is required. I used the same method as I did with my Albatross. Super glue one end of the thread into the hole and wait for it to dry, so that I can apply pressure by gently pulling it to the opposite hole. I use either a toothpick or my dental tool to help keep the slack out of the line by pushing the thread up against the side of the hole. Don't let your tool stay in the glue too long or the glue sets with it in it. Just long enough for a tacky feel and the thread to stay tight.

I did find a small container of bee's wax that is used to help coat the thread so it doesn't have that unraveled look, but I didn't want my rigging to look too weird half frayed and half new. So I didn't use it. I am wondering though, battlefield conditions would warrant just that look. New lines next to older lines.

I like it, but the next plane I will use nylon thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm 
FG Origami Master

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. However, my luck with super glue has never been great. I have some needle nose tweezers that should work for holding the thread and the wax seems to be a pretty slick solution.

Beard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:26 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

That turned out great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:24 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Wonderful Camel!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:08 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

If I ever get past these GeeBee's and the birds for the wife maybe I give it a shot. Only thing is it won't be a clean and nice as this one. What a jem. wc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:52 pm 
FG Folder

Again thx for all the kind words. If you saw this model or any of my other models in person you would see just how many glue spots and discolorations of the paper is really present due to too much glue, not to mention the creases and fold lines that I have had to put into the paper to make the bends.

Half the battle is already won by the designers of these paper models. I could never get the type of finishes already painted on to these models when I was building plastic models. When I first saw a paper model I was astounded. How can anyone build something from paper that looks like a top notch award winning plastic model?

I got out of the hobby for some years due to not enough time, or too much money required for expensive paints, glues, and the very high cost of the models themselves.

Paper modeling enables me to once again enjoy modeling and such a fraction of the cost. Mess up on the fuselage, well print another, it's just cost pennies for the ink and another sheet of card stock.

Point is I build because I can relax and escape reality and go off into the wild blue yonder with Snoopy as we both hunt down the Red Baron in our Sopwith Camels. :wink: