Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fokker DVII
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 pm 
FG Cutter

Here's the latest, my third model. She has plenty of issues but it was great fun and this one taught me a lot. Big thanks to Burning Beard and Willygoat for the great tips. It looks a little better in person. The struts and wheels look really thick in the pics, but they're not too bad. I couldn't find any buttons around the house for wheels so I cut some thin slices off a fake bamboo cane I had laying around and glued the paper wheels to it. The gear and interplane struts are balsa and the cabane struts are the fabulous floral wires that Beard turned me on to.

Attachment:
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG [ 149.38 KiB | Viewed 6987 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG [ 161.97 KiB | Viewed 6987 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG [ 156.44 KiB | Viewed 6987 times ]

Post subject: Re: Fokker DVII
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:01 pm 
FG Origami Master

It looks good. They are all a learning experience. You are well on your way now!

What I usually do for struts is to sandwich wire between the two sides of the struts provided in the kit, you make the wire a little long on the ends so you can poke them into the wings/fuselage or whatever. I "Pre-drill" the holes with a hat pin so they can slip right in, the strut locations are usually indicated on the wing. I use the same technique for flying wires, take a straightened piece of wire and slip them in the pre-poked holes and put a drop of glue on the ends.

For wheels like are on the DVII I pre-cut circles the correct diameter out cereal box cardboard and laminate three or four together with the tacky glue (depending on the thickness you want) then sand them to proper shape with and emery board (bought my own because the wife wasn't amused when I used hers) then just color it with a bic markit pen (their black is better than a sharpie black), and drill a hole in the center for the axel (I use a drill on this cause it is tough to push a pin through that much cardboard). You can then glue the spoke covers on. Straightened paper clips make a great axle. For larger profile wheels I usually build the ones in the kit.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

It came out great! Much better than any of my attempts at bi-planes. I have a horrible time of keeping the wings straight and warp free. Nice job!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 pm 
FG Folder

That looks awesome! I too am building this model, now I have a good reference as to how it looks completed. I think the peppermint stripe finish is what I find fascinating. It's weird that the paint schemes on WWI planes reflect every color under the rainbow and then some. Keep up the good job!

caddmann05

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:43 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Very, very nice modeling. I like the richness of the colors. Great job. Thank you very much for sharing. wc