Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Komatsu 200 Loader
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:32 pm 
FG Cutter

Fresh off the bench today. Sorry this is not an FG AND posted to the aircraft forum :oops:

This was super fun and it's the first model I've made with moving parts. Again, I keep learning more with each model I do. I believe I've finally settled on using craft acrylics for edge coloring, I got along well with it this time.

Attachment:
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG [ 188.86 KiB | Viewed 11653 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG [ 201.69 KiB | Viewed 11653 times ]

Post subject: Re: Komatsu 200 Loader
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

looks great! I've built this one too, and it is quite fun. Still have yet to try the bulldozer and bucket loader.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:02 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Your loader came out great. Very nice rich color of yellow. I hope your going to do the other equipment and post them. BTW-any chance you could post a liink where you downloaded them from? I don't think I have ever seen these. Thank you for sharing. wc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:01 pm 
FG Cutter

Thank you both for the kind replies.

The color richness comes from spraying the sheets down with Future floor polish as a fixative. It works great and adds a touch of brightness and richness without going overboard. This is my fourth model, so I don't have enough experience using it yet, but I've been hitting my sheets with one "medium" coat before scoring and cutting. Multiple light coats MAY give more of a gloss, but I doubt you could really get too much of a shine on paper. I could be wrong though!!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post direct links here but the model was printed from Canon Creative and can easily be found with a quick Google search. It's also free.

Admins: Feel free to edit or delete that part if I over-stepped my bounds. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:47 am 
FG Tissue Paper

All I can say is, WOW! Looks like a plastic model. Well done, sir!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:55 am 
FG Origami Master

That is a nice clean build, good thing the bucket lays on the ground or it would flip over :lol: . Those square tubes look really good, it is very easy to get a twist in them that will mess up the whole model.

Beard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am 
Botbuster Master

if its a free download feel free to add it to your post. Just look for a disclaimer that would not allow it. thanks

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:34 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

In o2jmpr message he stated he uses a future floor polish. Would anyone know what future floor polish as a fixative o2jmpr might have used and how to apply this? I did send o2jmpr a PM but no answer yet so he must be busy. Does anyone else use this or something like it as I never have and before I go down this road I would lie more info if that's possible. I have heard others do something like this but it there one sure fired way to bring out the luster of the colors of a print? Thank you guys. Looking forward to hearing for you. wc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:10 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I think in most places in the US it's either known as "Future" or "Pledge with Future". I do know that many folks airbrush it onto the finished model in very light coats. It also apparently works great to dip freshly molded plastic canopies into Future and let dry in order to make sure that there are no glue smudges on the plastic when it's glued into the model.

Attachments:
Future.jpg
Future.jpg [ 66.89 KiB | Viewed 11347 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:22 pm 
FG Cutter

Sorry Wad_Cutter!!! I did send you an immediate reply, not sure why you didn't get it. I responded again, but yes, the pics above are of the correct stuff, but they aren't sold with those labels any longer. Plastic modelers still call it "Future" but you will not find the word Future on the label at all anymore. Look in your favorite grocery or mega store for "Pledge Multi Surface Floor Finish". It comes the same clear bottle but now has a picture of of a tile floor with blue rubber boots on the front.

I airbrush it wide open at 10psi using one medium heavy coat. You can't go wrong on paper unless you drench it. On plastic models its a steep learning curve though!! It will enrich your colors just a little bit, but I mostly just use it now as a fixative because I've taken to color washing my whole models where I can as I've posted in other threads.

Thanks for helping out Willygoat!!!!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:12 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Willy and o2jmpr for your help and your kind reply's. o2jmpr please don't worry about it as to why I didn't see your reply. As I have said it has been said before, "S#&t happens! No worries as the problem is corrected now. I don't have a air brush and have no idea how to use one. Would it be of to lightly apply to paper after it's cut out from page? It's here where I get lost. How much to apply and how to apply the wax. Maybe one day I'm going to have to break down and ask my banker(aka Susan-wife)for one and then have to ask you guys how to use that. Always something to learn. I really liked who your backhoe coloring came out and I was think about my pair of Gee-Bee's. The red and the yellow should really pop out if I get the use of the wax correct. I'll post some photos once I get it closer to what I want. Thank you guys for your help and coming to my rescue. Are you gents great or what? I hope this will be a trick an old dog like myself can learn. Would this wax be applied with a clean cloth and a light supplication at that? Thanks again for you kind help. wc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 am 
FG Cutter

Well... I hate to tell you this but... There is no other way to apply "Future" except with an airbrush on paper and airbrushes/compressors can get quite pricey. If you posses the magic touch, it can be brushed on to plastic models, but you would get way too much if you tried it on paper.
You can build first and spray the whole model down if you wish but that then negates its help with preventing glue and edge coloring runs.

If you're only interested in making your colors really POP, then try the color washing technique. You can brighten or darken your ink colors to any degree you wish and mask your cut edges all at the same time. That said, on the Komatsu I did not color wash anything except for the black square piece on top of the main body. All the yellow is nothing more than printed ink with a coat of future. I believe maybe the pic is deceiving you a bit. Don't get me wrong, the yellow parts looks very nice, but the Future application did not change it a remarkable amount.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:55 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Airbrushes/compressors. Now we are starting to get into the bucks part of this hobby. As long as this hobby stayed away from that area of hobbying I was ok. If I have to put this before my banker then there might be a problem. Also, my banker too a look in two different stores and they didn't have that brand. So back to square one for now until another idea comes across the desk. Thanks all the same. wc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:23 pm 
FG Cutter

Don't sweat it at all. Like I say, using Future is no different that using hairspray or Krylon, Rustoleum, etc etc.. It may help your colors just a touch, but not necessary if you're careful not to get runs. (I happen to be a messy modeler so I get runs) Color washing is what you need if you're unhappy with the brightness or tint of how your ink comes out when printed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Hairspray and Krylon I have access to but Rustoleum is a new one to me. If I can find it is there any way I could apply a thin coat using a fine paint brush to get the effect you did? Trying to explore new ideas here and for a old fart like me this isn't all that easy but I can learn is the way I see it. I have the best coach money can buy here with Willygoat. He's put up with my crazy ideas and request so far. wc