Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 pm 
Botbuster Master

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ok ok...i'll try , but it goes agin my grain....

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:17 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Too much time around me...BEFORE either of us got into FG.
:twisted:
Lep

Currently working on: FG Wippet 1/72
Recently Completed: FG FT-17 Dio 1/38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

It's okay Possm. I've given you enough grief lately. I should be getting to it as soon as the kid goes to sleep. And you're right. Talk is cheep. I believe it's going for $FREE.99 here in town. It used to be $FREE.95, but the recession has hurt the free businesses and they were forced to raise prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I did get started on the canopy process last night. I have pictures forth coming. I'm hunting for a better way to raise up the clay for the mold. My traditional method of toothpicks didn't work for some reason. I think the clay was too warm and soft. I'll try again tonight. I think I'll have to let the clay dry out some more before I try to mold the glass. I'll get some cockpit details done in the mean time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:27 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Oky doky. Well, Based on seeing Chris' freaking amazing Gloster, I have pretty much started over. BE WARNED: MASSIVE PICTURE DUMP AHEAD!!!

Here I have the new intake area. I had noticed a problem with the fit of the interior strip and splitter. I solved the problem by first making the original as is. I dry fit it into the new nose piece. I noticed the gap was only slight. So, I cut open the interior part, traced it, and added about 4 mm to one end. I did a test fit w/out glue and it was nearly perfect. I glued it up and then just trimmed a tiny piece off. I did the same thing for the splitter.

Oh, and I stole Chris' idea of the extra bulkhead to seal off the fuselage.

The rebuilt nose piece

I like the look of the landing gear supports, but the single layer of card is pretty flimsy. So, I did a double print (only because I needed multiple canopies) and cut out the two LG pieces

Then, I took one of the pieces and built it inside out

I then took the second LG piece and glued it the correct way to the outside of the first piece.

This was applied to all of the LG pieces

Now for the canopy. I decided to start over as I had clay issues yesterday. I printed another canopy and made the mold. I removed the joining strips from the glass area and put them on the outside of the canopy. This way it makes a smoother clay mold underneath

I then filled up the canopy with clay in the areas I want to have the plastic canopy

I'm going to let the clay harden in the mold for a day or two. This should help make it easier to mold the plastic sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 pm 
Botbuster Master

neato willygoat..... :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:35 am 
Paper Model Overlord

looks cool! Have you decided on a interior yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

yes I have. I will use the gauges, seat, and part of the box from the Stuka. They're close enough for me anyway. I'll enlarge them about 250%. I'll have to play a bit with photoshop to get them just right. For the curved bulkhead behind the seat, I'm going to cut the paper mold for the canopy where the bulkhead would be. Then, I'll trace the shape onto a piece of card and color it the same shade as the rest of the interior. I'll probably add the head rest pad as well.

The clay mold for the canopy is plenty hard now. I might get to it Thursday night. Teaching and coaching duties will be in the way tonight and tomorrow night. I've also been working on the wings a bit while the clay hardens. I hope to finish this beast in a week or so. After next week I'll have some free time as summer will be in full swing. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:09 am 
Botbuster Master

i wish my camera would take that good of close ups...we bought a new one that was supposed do macros...but they werent as close up as i wanted,,,....bummer...what do u use WG :? :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I use our old Canon Power Shot G6. It has a decent macro set up. I usually turn off the flash and turn on the macro. Sometimes I have to start back away from the subject, press the shutter half way, and then move closer to get the shot I want. Then, press the shutter all the way and presto! A fairly okay shot of whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Small update-

I built two of the three LG wheels tonight. I also built the wing. I now have almost all of the pieces done. I just have to do the interior now. Maybe tomorrow night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:20 am 
Paper Model CINC

Can't wait to see this completed :D.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Another update.

I figured out the cockpit and built it up. I like it anyway. I took the cockpit interior from the Ju-87 and enlarged it about 170%. I did it up 160% in Photoshop, but I did an editing thing in Preview first, so I'm guessing at the 170% thing. Anyway, I built up the basic front part of the cockpit with the gauges and pedals. I also created a throttle lever. It needed something along the side. I made the control stick from a picture of the interior. I used a needle nose pliers to bend a paper clip into the loop.

I added some detail to the seat by using the belts in the kit. I made the shoulder and lap parts of the belts.

The finished cockpit

Next, the canopy. I took the clay mold and put it on a pedestal so that I could pull the plastic sheet down onto it.

Then, I heated the plastic sheet using a candle. The whole place smelled like cookies. I've never been this hungry while building before.

After 4 attempts, I finally got something close to what I wanted. The length of the glass made it tricky to pull it down over the fairly steep front, and then get smooth along the side. I'm thinking I maybe should have done it in 2 pieces.

I used CA glue very sparingly to attach the paper to the canopy, but it still managed to get everywhere. Oh well.
A test fit on the fuselage. I had to make a couple of patches to get it to fit right.

I might try again with overhead transparency. The stuff I made looks pretty ugly on the right side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:56 am 
Botbuster Master

omg...such tiny thingies...... :? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:17 am 
Paper Model CINC

Thingies - is that a technical card modelling term!? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next