Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:55 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Day One-First cuts.
First day of build. Cutting up fuselage. First question is am I missing a sheet? What gives the body of the aircraft it's shape? I didn't see any parishioner(Struts?) for the fuselage. I had at least one for the Piper Cub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Wad_Cutter wrote:
Day One-First cuts.
First day of build. Cutting up fuselage. First question is am I missing a sheet? What gives the body of the aircraft it's shape? I didn't see any parishioner(Struts?) for the fuselage. I had at least one for the Piper Cub.

YOU give the fuselage its shape! :mrgreen: Just take your time rolling the sections and it goes together oh, so nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

Oh, and I highly recommend using a piece of wire for the landing gear struts. A straightened out paper clip works well. Just bend it so that it goes through the fuselage at the joint location of the struts and matches the angle in the drawings. Then, poke small holes for the wire, pass it through, then wrap the struts around the wire and attach the wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:03 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you Willy for the tips. I have not been able to work of the Stearman due to illness. Had to go to the doctor last week and the meds I got are knocking me for a loop. I can considerate on her. As soon as my heads clears I will be back at it. Sorry for the delay. What ever this thing is I have is a killer. I had one thought. I took the Stearman from the 1:28 and reprinted it to 1:33 and touched up the color just a bit. I will re-post the above photos again as soon as I can. Thank you for the advise on the landing gear. That sounds like the way to go. I understand what you said about the shape of the fuselage. With the Piper Cub there was a insert of the fuselage to retain her shape. I will glue the body together and shape her from there. I really hate not being able to think clearly. I don't know what is worse. Being sick or having me head spin like this. I know some people would pay big money for these meds but I'm not one of them. Again, thank you for being there. BTW, did you ever build this plane and post photos? I ask because of those Stearman post in this forum I saw others but not yours. I'll be back slamming away on her in a couple of days my doctor said. wc out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:04 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I've got the model here in my classroom. I'll see if I can grab some pics later today if I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Construction starts again. Still not 100 % yet but good enough to to start cutting which starts today. I just hope you don't mind me taking her to a scale of 1:33 instead of 1:28. I know it's not much but sometimes people don't want others to mess around with the model. Thats why I posed the question I did. Your my teacher and I don't want to over step myself if you know what I mean.I want to do this plane the correct way as I do all my models. Can you get the driff of what I'm trying to say? Down and cutting. john

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm 
Supreme Paper Commander

I certainly don't care if you change the scale. Putting it down to 1:33 should actually make it a bit more accurate from part to part.

I was going to take pictures of the Kaydet this morning, only to discover that one of my "darling students" messed with it and ripped off the whole tail. It took much of my will power not to curse. I'll dig around and see if I have any saved somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

That's got to be one of the most upsetting things yet. I would go nuts after working so hard on a model and for what reason did the person do this? If you knew which one I would pose the question how would the students feel if you did that to something of his but no! Make him destroy something special of his own. Or just walk away and let it slide off. I am really so sorry about that. You put a little of oyurself into a model and bang! Real sorry willy. Don't worry about the photos. Sorry wc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

I was able to rebuild the tail and put it onto the fuselage. It's a bit rough, but it works. I'll try and get picks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

I'm still down sick with this virus or what ever it is. I can't shack it. I want to get back into her but my mind is so foggy I can't considerate on her. This might sound a bit strange but I'll try to express myself. There is a certain fell of the paper and a rhythm of the think that goes with modeling. I’m missing both.. I’m very glade you were able to repair you Stearman which will help me and others a lot. BTW, did you ever find out who did this and have a chat with him or her to find out why they damaged your model or maybe that isn’t important just very happy you got her back. Thank you Coach. Looking forward to see her. Back to more of the couch and taking it easy. Man am I such a baby. wc

PS- if you ever find a real good drawing such as a blue print showing the wing spars and telling it's scale could you e-mail it to me. It would be a great help. I went looking and couldn't find one with both parts of the detail I would like to have. Thanks, wc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:11 am 
Supreme Paper Commander

Still don't know who did it. Probably won't ever know. That's the problem of having 125 students. Just took some pics so I'll get them loaded later today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:34 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Hi willy, first day back from this virus. Taking it slow. Still healing up. I got the body cut out before I had to stop. I'll post later.
Right now it's time for more meds and just sitting in front of the tube.
Update-the Fuselage-Oct. 8,2012
Sorry it's been a while but this is what happens when your sick. Anyway, construction continues. I will do more as I feel better.
Thanks for the update Coach. wc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Well, I have learned a lesson. When your ill and you don't think it's a good idea to use modeling to get your mind off things, listen to yourself stupid. I glued the parts together from last cut and not one pert came out even close. So it all went into the garbage and we start over again. I thought it was a good idea at the time. That times is long ago dead. It's will be a few more days before I try that again.I just can't remember when I have had this much fun for free. Well maybe not free. I was looking over the FG models and though I had seen a F/A-16 by FG but I couldn't find it. Am I wrong? Again? We have everything else. I was going to D/L it and try to build it for a close friend of mine who flew it in the Gulf. I guess I will have to wait or keep looking. Need something super simple. wc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:48 pm 
Botbuster Master

HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER

Take your time leavin.....but hurry back!!!!
Every tub has to sit on its own bottom!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:45 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Thank you possm. I'm doing everything I know to get back. Yesterday was a disaster but today was my best day yet. I'll be ok. Thank you very much. wc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next