Fiddlers Green

Downloadable Fun!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: F9F Panther wings
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:37 pm 
Paper Model Overlord

Hi im kind-of new here but I have tried to build the panther quite a few time but just can't seem to get the wings right. I would aprecceate some help on this.

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

What kind of problems are you having? Can you include some pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 am 
Paper Model CINC

The Panther wings have always given me a great deal of trouble. The large size (original from Chip's early days has wings that are too large for the fuselage. Never could get them right. When I redrew the smaller sizes ( I wasn't into building the large size at the time, and these were primarily for my own collection) I rescaled the wings and changed them a bit. My method is to glue the lower parts first, to the underside of the fuselage, making sure that the alignment is correct. Then I glue the upper wing to the fuselage, using a few drops of CA and accelerator to hold it in place until the glue sets up on the tabs. I guess that one of these days, I ought to revisit that bird--as well as the Cougar, and re-draw the larger size as well.

Currently working on: see avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:11 am 
Paper Model Overlord

Well i can get the wings right but only on the version without the stall fences and then i can only get the wing to be flat with no camber. sorry i ment the cougar.:)

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:14 pm 
Paper Model CINC

Panther and Cougar are basically identical in their construction. Put all your curvature on the top of the wing. Crease the lower side at the wingfold line and fold that part down. Don't try and fold the upper surface. Try gluing the tops of the wing first to the fuselage, and then aligning the lower surfaces to get a zero degree dihedral. It's a pretty rudimentary model, and the intake contour won't be exactly right--but it'll come pretty close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:28 am 
Paper Model Overlord

thanks ill try that.

BArry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:59 am 
Paper Model CINC

A few weeks ago, I needed a 1/48 Cougar in BA colors, so I upsize the little 'regular size" redraw I did a few years back. When I started to build it, I ran into the same difficulty with the wings as I did n the past. I must be getting old--my minds still like a trap--a rusty trap, though, now--

It took a few minutes of contemplation (and a second set of wings) to get me back to when I was working with this nice little model and building a dozen or so to verify my recolors.

Anyway--here's the straight scoop on getting nice wings on either of those planes: Score both the top and bottom of the wing at the wingfold line. Glue the wing up, and then, with a very sharp exacto, carefully cut the upper wing's score line almost from leading edge to trailing edge--to maybe within a sixteenth or so. Glue the top and bottom to the fuselage--make sure everything's aligned well. Afer the glue's set--put a bit of glue along the cut line, gently tuck the upper outer wing section inside the inner part, set a zero dihedral for the Cougar or positive one for the Panther, and let dry thoroughly.

(the other plane is Kancho's F11F that I recolored for this display--I highly recommend this kit for any Grumman fans out there)